Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2020, 06:12 AM   #1

New Camper Maintenance

This is my 1st camper with a slide out and I understand there is maintenance on the seals that should be done. My 1st question is does this need to be done on a brand new camper? My 2nd question is, most of the RV products seem to be rated the same as far as the dry lubes and seal conditioners. With that being said, will any dry lube work or does it need to me one that is made specifically for RVs? And is 303 Aerospace Protectant a good seal conditioner compared to the RV products?

On another note, should I wax my new camper or is it okay for now?
Old 05-22-2020, 06:46 AM   #2

Quote:
And is 303 Aerospace Protectant a good seal conditioner compared to the RV products?
YES

I don't have a slide out but I use 303 on any vinyl or plastic that is subject to UV sun. My hybrid has vinyl bunk ends that I spray with 303 2X a year. Not a negative thing to say about it.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Cruiser Rod View Post
This is my 1st camper with a slide out and I understand there is maintenance on the seals that should be done. My 1st question is does this need to be done on a brand new camper? My 2nd question is, most of the RV products seem to be rated the same as far as the dry lubes and seal conditioners. With that being said, will any dry lube work or does it need to me one that is made specifically for RVs? And is 303 Aerospace Protectant a good seal conditioner compared to the RV products?

use an old sock with some baby powder on the slide seals, works great and is better then the canned stuff IMHO
Old 05-29-2020, 10:52 PM   #4

Quote:

Get a good coat of wax on it, makes cleaning up after trips much easier and it also stays cleaner longer.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:18 PM   #5
Brake is on left

Talcum or baby powder works great. Use it on car doors too.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
No Cancer worries, right?

Just kidding, I know there's been many law suits against Talcum power companies. I hope there is some still on the shelves. LOL
Old 05-30-2020, 05:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Doesn't the power wash off when it rains? And, how does it protect the rubber seals without a built in rejuvenator?
Old 05-30-2020, 07:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Doesn't the power wash off when it rains? And, how does it protect the rubber seals without a built in rejuvenator?
nope, you are not leaving "powder" on it. you use an old sock or a rag and rub it in on the inside and outside seals. it cleans and lubes the seals. was shown this trick years ago by a camper maintenance guy when we got our first camper with a slide. when showing us the service department he said don't buy the expensive stuff use this and showed me...
rbrushaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:42 AM   #9
Brake is on left

I will wipe them down with Armor All once a year to keep the seals (RV, car, truck) supple, but nothing I have found keeps them from sticking like talc. Not 303, not McGuires, nothing. My wifes car is nearly an antique and the door seals are probably the best part of the car.
Oh, and I believe the cancer thing was dropped due to the rate of occurance being the same as non users.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:46 AM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

Thumbs up Da best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrushaber View Post
nope, you are not leaving "powder" on it. you use an old sock or a rag and rub it in on the inside and outside seals. it cleans and lubes the seals. was shown this trick years ago by a camper maintenance guy when we got our first camper with a slide. when showing us the service department he said don't buy the expensive stuff use this and showed me...
Exactly!!!!!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #11

Okay, you guys sold me on the Baby Powder. How often do you apply it? And, will Gold Bond Medicated Power work or does it have to be Baby Powder?
Old 05-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #12

i do it in the fall and in the spring and if it needs it during the season. i just use some J&J baby powder. small thing has lasted years

Tags
camper, maintenance