Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #1

New Freedom Express 310BHDS

Hello All! Picked up our new TT yesterday. Much bigger than it looked at the camper show. My truck looks small next to it. Sticker on side says TT is 600 pounds heavier than the brochure said. 7100 and trucks max is 9600. I'll do scales to check when we have it setup but curious what you all think of size. TV is 2014 Sierra with 5.3, Tekonsha P3 brake controller and WD Hitch with friction sway control. How close do you think I'll be?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1428864587.697738.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	73996
srderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:43 PM   #2

Congrats on your Freedom Express 310BHDS.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:24 PM   #3

Congrats on the new trailer. We purchased a 310BHDS in 2014 and when we load it up for a week of fun the scales show us at 8600 without water in the tanks. I used to own a Ram 1500 4x4 crew with all the heavy duty towing features but have recently upgraded to a 2500 Ram 6.4 Hemi mega cab. The reason being was due to the swaying issue when large trucks would pass. The 1/2 ton suspension was just too light for the 36 foot trailer, even with the weight dist hitch. With the new truck you don't even know its back their , no more sway and the rig stops so much better..
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #4

I just weighed my 233rbs and the tongue weight is what shocked me. I don't even have that much stuff in the front compartment. 1000 pounds.
Hornnumb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #5

I am in a very similar boat- towing a Puma about the same length but a little heavier than your Coachmen with a Ford F150. I REALLY suggest you take a look at the ProPride 3P hitch. I went from a standard WDH with friction bar to an Equalizer to the 3P and it is absolutely amazing. It took me over 3 years of reading and contemplating to convince myself to drop the money on the 3P. I paid too much attention to the posts from people that didn't own one. Really wish I had bought one from the get-go and had a more enjoyable towing experience all those years.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #6

Hmmm....taking it out next weekend but campground not far. Probably won't really tow out on highway until Memorial Day. Sounds like even if all my weights are good it will be the sway that gets me. How about a second friction sway bar? Setup came with one on passenger side but paperwork said I could add another. I've heard about the ProPride... All good reviews. What does it do different?
Old 04-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by srderby View Post
Hmmm....taking it out next weekend but campground not far. Probably won't really tow out on highway until Memorial Day. Sounds like even if all my weights are good it will be the sway that gets me. How about a second friction sway bar? Setup came with one on passenger side but paperwork said I could add another. I've heard about the ProPride... All good reviews. What does it do different?
It mechanically prevents the trailer from inducing a swaying force on the TV. Completely different animal than friction based systems. There are several videos showing how they work if you google it.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #8

Congrats on the 310 BHDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #9

Just came home from three night outing in Southeastern Mass. Cold nights but days warmed to mid fifties. Love this camper! Only complaint was the Coleman outdoor grille. The grate warped first time cooking with it. I'm going to see if I can fit grates from a Weber portable grill, can order them online. Towed great with the GMC. Only a 20 minute drive from home, no highway. This forum was so helpful to me with tips for towing, setup, etc. ready to head out again in two weeks!
Old 04-28-2015, 12:57 AM   #10

Good combination, have the exact same truck (2014 GMC 1500 Z71) and our 310BHDS just arrived at the dealer. Can't wait ... Did you get tow mirrors for the Sierra? If so what? I'm considering getting a set of the mirrors off the 2015 HD but they are expensive.
YEGrolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:57 AM   #11

I bought the Cipa mirrors from etrailer. They seem to work well though I don't have a comparison. They fit right around the factory mirror and go on and off easily.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #12

I'm towing the 292BHDS with a RAM 1500 with max towing. I originally bought replacement mirrors for the ram, to the tune of 450.00 from 1AAUTO. They were the same as what comes on a 2500. Installation was not that difficult (even though it requires taking the door apart), however I bought the wrong mirrors and our power mirror retraction wouldn't work on them. So I sent them back and intended to buy the right version, but before I reordered I found the Fit System towing mirrors that are molded to fit over the RAM mirrors. They make them for all trucks. I got mine on Amazon.com for under 50.00.

Install took 15 seconds and all the power options are unaffected. I'll be taking the trailer out this weekend so I'll let you know how they perform. My main issues are that I can not see my trailer tires meeting the pavement, and I am accustomed to having that reference point visible in my mirrors, and I can not see where the trailer ends so I'm reliant on my passenger to tell me if it's OK to change lanes.

I also have the WDH with friction sway control. Sway was noticible when trucks passed when first picking it up from the dealer and the trailer was empty. It improved some when I'd loaded some gear into the front storage. I've now loaded the trailer with all our camping stuff from our previous trailer and will give it another go this weekend. If it's still problematic I am strongly considering the ProPride hitch.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #13

Thanks for the tip on the CIPA mirrors, they look like they will do the job for now. I picked up a set locally to hold me over until I decide to buy the heavy duty mirrors.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
I'm towing the 292BHDS with a RAM 1500 with max towing. I originally bought replacement mirrors for the ram, to the tune of 450.00 from 1AAUTO. They were the same as what comes on a 2500. Installation was not that difficult (even though it requires taking the door apart), however I bought the wrong mirrors and our power mirror retraction wouldn't work on them. So I sent them back and intended to buy the right version, but before I reordered I found the Fit System towing mirrors that are molded to fit over the RAM mirrors. They make them for all trucks. I got mine on Amazon.com for under 50.00.

Install took 15 seconds and all the power options are unaffected. I'll be taking the trailer out this weekend so I'll let you know how they perform. My main issues are that I can not see my trailer tires meeting the pavement, and I am accustomed to having that reference point visible in my mirrors, and I can not see where the trailer ends so I'm reliant on my passenger to tell me if it's OK to change lanes.

I also have the WDH with friction sway control. Sway was noticible when trucks passed when first picking it up from the dealer and the trailer was empty. It improved some when I'd loaded some gear into the front storage. I've now loaded the trailer with all our camping stuff from our previous trailer and will give it another go this weekend. If it's still problematic I am strongly considering the ProPride hitch.
You'll absolutely LOVE the ProPride. If you don't have a back up camera, I recommend getting one as it is a little trickier to line up.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:21 AM   #15

Loraura: are you using two friction sway control or one? My setup came with one but everything I've read says that for TT over 26 feet you should have one on each side. I just ordered the second but haven't installed yet.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #16

Just the one. Let me know how much difference you feel with two.

I will say that it towed much better yesterday. I think tongue weight was too light until I loaded all my stuff into it.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:41 AM   #17

Picked up our 2016 310BHDS today, cant wait to get it out next weekend.

The dealer we worked with was 2 1/2 hours away and the wind was blowing strong the entire way home. I could certainly tell that the Blue Ox hitch helped quite a bit. Can't recommend it enough.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #18

Great looking camper, best of luck!
I too just got the blueox hitch when i picked up my apex, just a nice quiet hitch! Love it
08 dodgeram current TV
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEGrolo View Post
Picked up our 2016 310BHDS today, cant wait to get it out next weekend.

The dealer we worked with was 2 1/2 hours away and the wind was blowing strong the entire way home. I could certainly tell that the Blue Ox hitch helped quite a bit. Can't recommend it enough.

Nice looking unit Roland!! Congrats!!
Todd

Dang, I wish I was out in the trailer!!
tadbinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #20

We've had five nights so far and love this thing. Towed with the single friction sway and had some back and forth. I think I could have tightened down more. Will likely switch to the Blue Ox before next trip rather than installing the second friction sway bar. Did you do the 1000 lb Blue Ox?

Tags
freedom express