Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2021, 07:58 AM   #1

New Memory Foam Mattress

Looking for advice. I bought a Zinus 10" memory Foam mattress for my camper. It was delivered last Friday and unpackaged within 2 hours after delivery. The info with the mattress said it would take 24-72 ours to expand. I had the heat set at 65 in the camper for the 5 days. The mattress has pnly expanded 7" in the middle and 6" on the ends. Is this normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3302.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	249385   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3304.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	249386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3306.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	249387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3305.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	249388  
Old 03-11-2021, 08:02 AM   #2
Pseudonym

Did you open the box and flatten the mattress within 24 hours of delivery as the instructions state? Did you leave the mattress unencumbered (no sheets/blankets/etc) until the 72 hour expansion period was complete?
BrandonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:25 AM   #3

I can't explain the lack of expansion but we found a 10" Zinus mattress interfered with the Murphy bed mechanism while an 8" mattress worked perfectly. The problem is the top edge of the 10" mattress catches on the headboard area. 8" allows for clearance.

There is no difference in comfort between the two. (We compared them side-by-side.) 1.5" of the difference in height is the base layer. The 0.5" difference in the top layer is imperceptible.

If you bought it on Amazon, they'll take it back. Apparently they have a special return service (a contractor) for bulky items. We didn't return ours (sold it to a neighbor at cost) but wanted to be sure we could, if needed. We were assured the return guarantee is valid.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonSmith View Post
Did you open the box and flatten the mattress within 24 hours of delivery as the instructions state? Did you leave the mattress unencumbered (no sheets/blankets/etc) until the 72 hour expansion period was complete?
Yes, I think I mentioned that in my initial post.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:26 PM   #5

We have the identical mattress. We live in Southern California, so a warm climate. We opened our mattress in the camper, and left it. It reached the proper thickness by the next day. We are extremely happy with it, very comfortable. Was there a chance you "nicked" the mattress when you opened it? We have had ours for over two years now and I love it. Hope you get it resolved.
Eyesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyesie View Post
We have the identical mattress. We live in Southern California, so a warm climate. We opened our mattress in the camper, and left it. It reached the proper thickness by the next day. We are extremely happy with it, very comfortable. Was there a chance you "nicked" the mattress when you opened it? We have had ours for over two years now and I love it. Hope you get it resolved.
No nicks, I'm not sure how that would stop it from expanding. I did go back and read some reviews where some had the same problem. Amazon is sending me another one and told me to trash the one I have. I hope I don't have the same problem. Maybe it's hit or miss.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:59 PM   #7

Don't trash it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Cruiser Rod View Post
No nicks, I'm not sure how that would stop it from expanding. I did go back and read some reviews where some had the same problem. Amazon is sending me another one and told me to trash the one I have. I hope I don't have the same problem. Maybe it's hit or miss.
Don't trash it. Donate it to The Salvation Army and keep some person from sleeping on the floor. They won't care if it's only 7" thick.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Don't trash it. Donate it to The Salvation Army and keep some person from sleeping on the floor. They won't care if it's only 7" thick.

This. As an alternative, we posted our OEM mattress on the local town free site when we got our memory foam.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I intend to. Amazon said to trash it, not me.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Cruiser Rod View Post
I had the heat set at 65 in the camper for the 5 days.
Just a thought but did it mention that you needed to set the temp at 65..? I'm thinking perhaps that might be somewhat cool for initially expanding the mattress for the first time. My thoughts would be something like 72 degrees minimum for a quicker setup. It may be too late at this point for it to expand any further..
cdnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnred View Post
Just a thought but did it mention that you needed to set the temp at 65..? I'm thinking perhaps that might be somewhat cool for initially expanding the mattress for the first time. My thoughts would be something like 72 degrees minimum for a quicker setup. It may be too late at this point for it to expand any further..
Thanks, I did have the temp set higher than that for almost 5 days.It may have expanded 1/2" but that was it. Zinus directed me to call Amazon and they sent me another mattress and told me to dispose of the other mattress. The new mattress is good now.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:09 AM   #12
Pseudonym

Does the Zinus get any softer? I just got the 12" coolgel memory foam and damn this thing is like sleeping on concrete. The first night on it I was tossing and turning and woke up with an extremely stiff lower back. I'm only 30 and have no back issues.
BrandonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonSmith View Post
Does the Zinus get any softer? I just got the 12" coolgel memory foam and damn this thing is like sleeping on concrete. The first night on it I was tossing and turning and woke up with an extremely stiff lower back. I'm only 30 and have no back issues.
I have the Zinus 10 Inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress / CertiPUR-US Certified and it's pretty soft.