Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 09:00 AM   #1

No 110v at outlets

Took delivery of a new 2021 Clipper on Monday this week. Of course now come to find that thereís no 110v at any of the outlets.

All the appliances including AC are getting power and working fine but thereís 0v on the hot leg into the main GFI outlet at the galley area. Is there a panel breaker or another GFI Iím missing that might have tripped on this 2021 clipper. Iíve looked everywhere.

Weíre leaving tomorrow for our first trip. Iíve called the dealer and of course am now waiting for a call back from service. Iím hoping the community might have a quick pointer to resolve the issue.

Many thanks!
Jonathan Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:08 AM   #2

Did you do the obvious. Reset all the breakers, push the test button then firmly press the reset on the main gfci outlet? Mine are all connected together. There is only one of these and mine is located in the kitchen. Yours maybe too
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
Site Team

Check the breaker for that circuit by turning off and on. The GFCI will not reset without power.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:12 AM   #4
Site Team

There should be a panel breaker for the GFCI circuit. Off then back on.

Edit: Flybob is faster!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 56; Booked = 50
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:29 AM   #5

Thanks for the quick response.

The main GFI in the kitchen will not rest because there is no power coming into it. I cannot find any other breaker panel on the unit not can I see any other CFI socket that may have tripped. There must be a power distribution. Panel because the appliances are all working but for the life of me I cannot find it.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:33 AM   #6

another great pdi!

the power panel can be anywhere but a lot of the times they are near the
'control center' where the various switches are located. but no guarantee.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:33 AM   #7

What is model number of your Cipper?
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:38 AM   #8
Site Team

Give us the model of the Clipper you have and we can help. Coachmen makes 29 models of the Clippers so it's kinda hard for us to tell you where the power panel is in yours.

I see some with the power panel under the fridge, some with it under the stove, some could be other places.

It should be a brown or black plastic panel somewhere near the floor with a door that presses to open. It'll have breakers and fuses in it. And most likely the converter.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Give us the model of the Clipper you have and we can help. Coachmen makes 29 models of the Clippers so it's kinda hard for us to tell you where the power panel is in yours.

I see some with the power panel under the fridge, some with it under the stove, some could be other places.

It should be a brown or black plastic panel somewhere near the floor with a door that presses to open. It'll have breakers and fuses in it. And most likely the converter.
^^THIS^^
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #10

The unit is a 17BH and a 2021 model as I mentioned. Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:58 AM   #11

Ok found it. It’s at the floor beside the furnace. There was a tripped breaker. So now fixed. Thank you so much To everyone for the help.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #12

Just a guess but if it is the kitchen outlet with out power it could be the inverter is not turned on, connected,powered? Check that if there is an inverter on your rig.

Best of luck

Chris
Old 08-13-2020, 10:22 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Murray View Post
Ok found it. Itís at the floor beside the furnace. There was a tripped breaker. So now fixed. Thank you so much To everyone for the help.
Glad you found it and all it was, was a tripped breaker. I hope all your issues from here on are as simple as a tripped breaker.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:52 AM   #14

Roger that :-) if only our dealer had taken the time to do a proper walk through covering this essential information.

BTW I’m still waiting for anyone at the dealer to call me back - as promised - to help resolve the issue I guess as a new owner I should recalibrate my expectations.

Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:56 PM   #15

Breaker "Trick"

Probably repeating others...too many posts to read all of them.

Breakers can fool you. They may appear to be on even when they are tripped. You must fully turn off the breaker before you can reset it.
Harmless exercise that may prove useful. Turn ALL breakers off then back on again. Then press reset on the GFCI. That may solve your problem.

It's EXTRAORDINARILY unlikely that there's some other panel or some other in-line fusing. But there is one possibility. If some num-nutz at the factory installed TWO GFCIs, except in the largest rigs (with two breakers for the outlets), they will be in series on a single circuit.

For giggles, check all outlets to verify that there is only ONE GFCI in the rig. If there are two on a single circuit, you'll pull your hair out dealing with this nonsense. You should replace the second one in line with a regular outlet.

If there are two, trip one and see what happens at the other. One GFCI should be first in line and protect the entire circuit. If you trip the one that's second in line, the first may remain live. If you trip the first, then the entire circuit will be dead. Replace the one that's second in line with a standard duplex outlet.

Bear in mind that the act of tripping #2 may also trip #1, so this is not an entirely foolproof tactic. If both trip, reset the one you think is first in line and check for voltage. No voltage suggests it's second in line. Trip it, and reset the other and see if you have voltage at that one.

If, for absolutely certain, there are two GFCI's on a single circuit, you may need to trace the wire from the panel to the first GFCI. Either way, if there are two, you may go nuts until you replace #2 with a regular outlet.

If all that fails, disconnect from shore power and disconnect the battery. Pull the breaker panel (converter) and check the connections at the back of the panel. Loose screws are not uncommon. If all that's good, go to the GFCI outlet and make sure it's connected properly. There's a chance that one or several wires have come adrift. While you're in the back of the panel, check and tighten EVERYTHING. Loose connections cause voltage drops and eat power and damage sensitive appliances. If the your rig was wired at 4 PM on a Friday, that would explain a lot. P.S. on this: if the wires to the back of the GFCI are just pushed into holes, make sure there's a connection. It may appear to be pushed in, but if you tug on it, it may come out. If the wire wasn't stripped back far enough, there may be no connection. Screws are better.

And let's not forget the possibility of a faulty GFCI or faulty breaker. While you're checking the wiring, make sure everything is safe and plug into shore power. Use your multimeter to check for voltage at the back of the breaker and at the input to the GFCI. Be sure to unplug from shore power before trying to do repairs. If you have voltage coming into the GFCI, but no ability to activate the GFCI, replace it. It may be a dud. Buy a replacement at the hardware store and install it.

Should you have to do this? Of course not. But all of this will take you less than an hour or so and a few bucks, and that problem needs to be somewhere. You must simply be persistent to find it.

Going back to the beginning and checking breakers. If you reset a breaker and it pops right away, you may have a dead short from some moron driving a screw through you house wire. I found this in my previous PUP. The screw was driven into the wire and then backed out again. Doh!! As they say, s_ _t happens.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:57 PM   #16

Shoulda read the whole thread.

Shoulda read further. I see you found it. My book may be helpful some other time.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Murray View Post
Roger that :-) if only our dealer had taken the time to do a proper walk through covering this essential information.

BTW Iím still waiting for anyone at the dealer to call me back - as promised - to help resolve the issue I guess as a new owner I should recalibrate my expectations.

Thanks again.
I'm sorry your dealer didn't stand tall and help you out.
Basic R/V 101 is something EVERY dealer should do for a buyer.

We hear this all too often.

I hope these posts help educate others to do their due diligence in finding a dealer that will help them if they are not able to diagnose issues and do basic electrical/plumbing/carpentry skills.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
110v