Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Professional Curmudgeon

Owner's manual plus brochure equals confusion

My owner's manual specifies that I have to adjust the brakes on my camper after 200 miles, but the brochure indicates that self adjusting brakes are standard on Catalina TT's.
I realize the owner's manual is more generic than the manufacturer's sales brochure, but I also know that specifications are subject to change without notice.
So the question becomes, how can I tell for sure whether or not I have self adjusting brakes?
Old 11-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Always Learning

There possibly was a separate owners manual for the brakes themselves. Each RV comes with a pile of owners manuals for individual appliances and parts of the camper- maybe it's in there...
Old 11-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Easiest sure fire way is to jack up a wheel and take a hub off and if it only has a star wheel inside, it is manual. If it has an arm sitting on the star wheel and a cable on the arm, it is automatic.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
There possibly was a separate owners manual for the brakes themselves. Each RV comes with a pile of owners manuals for individual appliances and parts of the camper- maybe it's in there...
I have pretty much every scrap of paper that came with this camper in a binder. I've photographed and printed every single data plate I could find, and have them in there as well.
I've reviewed the Lippert manual for the axels and they cover several models as well, with no mention what-so-ever about self adjusting brakes on any model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Easiest sure fire way is to jack up a wheel and take a hub off and if it only has a star wheel inside, it is manual. If it has an arm sitting on the star wheel and a cable on the arm, it is automatic.
Yep, I had thought about contacting Lippert with the data plate information, but you are right. Eyes on is the only way to absolutely know for sure what I've got. It's just so darn cold laying out there in the snow!
I've been wondering what size drums I have, as well, so I might as well measure them while I'm under there.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
...It's just so darn cold laying out there in the snow! ...
Wait a few days until it warms up. No big rush is there?
Old 11-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
Professional Curmudgeon

I'm usually only home on weekends, so have to do what I can when I can. But, I've got plenty of other things to fill my time, too.

However, I think I found the answer on the Lippert website:
http://www.lci1.com/images/Flyers/LI...Axles/0133.pdf
states that ALL Lippert electric brakes are manually adjusted only.

Tags
manual