Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #1

Power cord

My last trailer had a detachable cord which I liked. The FE has one of the cords you pull out of the little hole and then have to cram it back in when you're done camping. I took the trailer to a local rv park last night to check all the systems.

Everything worked great but I kind of over did it trying to install a bed lift system for the underbed storage. I realized much too late that it is a 2-person job. Anyhoo, when I unhooked this morning with my aching back, arms and hands and a headache from holding up the bed with my head, cramming the cord back into that too-small compartment took my last bit of strength. It was 35 degrees last night so the cord was very stiff.

I have researched converting to a detachable cord and during that research I ran across a lot of people that just get a 25ft extension cord so they don't have to pull the hard-wired cord out and cram it back in. They just pull the hard-wired cord out far enough to connect the extension cord and run that cord to the post. They also have additional length if they need it in the future if the power box is too far away from their trailer for the 25ft cord to reach.

Some people thought it was a great idea and others felt the earth would fall off it's axis if someone used an extension cord.

So, what does everyone here think? I understand that I might lose some amperage using an extension cord. If it really isn't safe, why would they sell them?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Laura
Old 04-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #2

I have the detachable cord on my current camper. I love this it makes so easy to store the cord. I also have an extension cord for when the pedestal is further away.

I would just get and extension cord and use that. Then if the pole is further away you have extra cord. This will probably save you some time and money.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd just put a detachable cord receptacle on your camper in place of the pull through storage.
I have a 25' cord and a 50' extra.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1428324042890.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	73216