Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by danield View Post
Well isn't that a shot in the arm. I was planning on purchasing a 21FBRS from Cheyenne Camping Center in Walcott Iowa. Living in Hot Springs Arkansas, that would be a two day drive, about 750 miles one way. There web site says that any warranty work must be coordinated with them first. I would be saving $5,500 dollars by purchasing from them instead of in Arkansas. I will have to reconsider my purchase if I cannot get warranty work done in Arkansas.
Fyi you cannot go wrong with a purchase from Cheyenne.
They are a great dealer.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:40 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPP View Post
Has anyone gotten the Consumer Affairs Dept, or maybe the Better Business, Chamber of Commerce, local or at point of purchase, involved? Make noise, be pissed and make more noise.
Yeah that'll work.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:46 PM   #23

I did not buy from Cheyenne even though I live pretty close and visited several times. They do list their excellent prices on the site. Is it possible to use that to get your local dealer to a more reasonable price?

I do think there is real value to shopping locally for the potential follow up service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #24

I agree that buying local should insure proper follow-up warranty and routine service, but there are other reasons to buy out of area. I could not find the model I was looking for in Colorado and my local dealer was not interested in ordering it for me, being already fat with slow moving inventory. I was not in a hurry and was surprised my money wasn't of any interest. My online research showed my unit was available in 3 surrounding states. I chose the dealer whose location made for the most interesting road trip, not price, which I turned in to about a month long shake-down journey.
So for me, making a compromise to buy what was in inventory locally wasn't an option. The dealer forced my hand. Any warranty issues beyond my own skill level will just have to be dealt with (and worried about) if & when that time comes.
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:46 AM   #25
Site Team

Folks we realize this is a topic that produces strong feelings but we ask
you to remember the ORIGINAL post's troubles.
Do NOT use this thread as a reason to disparage foreign companies nor any other reason besides trying to suggest helpful ways for the OP to get some relief.

Thanks for keeping this thread on track and friendly!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:40 AM   #26

Exactly Metalsideup. We did the research and decided what we wanted. Mid bunks are hard to find and we really like the Coachmen. Then it was where to find it. There just wasn't a local dealer.
I do think my problems will be taken care of. Hopefully today the mobile service will take a look and we can get it fixed or to the Forest River dealer closest to me (who doesn't sell coachmen).
Not soured on buying long distance...yet
susanb06239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by danield View Post
Well isn't that a shot in the arm. I was planning on purchasing a 21FBRS from Cheyenne Camping Center in Walcott Iowa. Living in Hot Springs Arkansas, that would be a two day drive, about 750 miles one way. There web site says that any warranty work must be coordinated with them first. I would be saving $5,500 dollars by purchasing from them instead of in Arkansas. I will have to reconsider my purchase if I cannot get warranty work done in Arkansas.
We purchased a new Flagstaff 27RLWS from Cheyenne Camping Center in the fall of 2013, and were very pleased with the trailer and the service of the company. We now have almost 18,000 miles on the T.T. and have only had a couple of minor issues, such as the GFCI outlet failing. Great people.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #28

A big problem is allowing the non-purchasing dealer to reject warranty work. I can take my car to any dealer for warranty work, My boat motor to any Evenrude dealer and return a broken Snap-on wrench to any dealer. This is probably the only industry to permits such a practice. It likely more profitable because it discourages warrant work.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanb06239 View Post
I was also informed that the warranty work needs to be done at the original dealer according to manufacturer. Considering that RVs travel far and for extended periods of time, I find this odd.
That is not correct. I bought mine in MI over the phone and had it delivered to my house in NH. During initial inspection at my house, I found many things wrong and took it to my local Camping World. They do not carry the Coachmen line but they are a FR dealer and they have done many warranty repairs so far and still waiting on others.

- Replaced sink drains as they were rusting after our first weekend
- Replaced bathroom door as the handle was drilled/mounted wrong and door would not close
- Tacked down carpet in master bedroom
- replaced slam latches as you could not get keys in them
- Fixed 2 drawers that would open during travel
- Replaced reclining leather couch as there were 3 tears in the corners.
- working on ripping floor up because manufacturer left all wood debris under and you can feel multiple dozens of little pencil eraser sized bubbles. FR has approved the repair BUT has not stated how to repair yet.

Although it has been a VERY slow process, FR has paid for all warranty repairs at a non coachmen specific dealer.

-------

Edited: Didn't realize this thread was as long as it was when I replied. Regardless, proof is there that if you have a good local dealer, they will work on it and get you straight even if you didn't buy from them.

I saved almost $10,000 by buying long distance and as stated, that is worth some inconvenience.. hell it is only a 1 year warranty lol. I gave my closest dealer a chance to price match and they were as stated, $10,000 more and wouldn't come down any. For a few thousand, I would have gone local but not for $10k in savings.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #30

It would seem to be time to get some law on the books, at the national level, to make RV manufactures, and their dealers, more accountable. Maybe the thought of such a law would be enough to move the industry to clean up their act. Just a thought.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #31

Good luck with that and I totally disagree. Autos are a necessity to our society and RV's are not. They should not be regulated the same way.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Good luck with that
Too many people continue to use the Auto industry for comparison and that's a big mistake.
The only thing they have in common, is that they both sell things with wheels at dealerships.
Other than that, they couldn't be more different.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Good luck with that and I totally disagree. Autos are a necessity to our society and RV's are not. They should not be regulated the same way.
I think they should. What could be more convincing than a 5+ ton RV losing a defective axle at 60mph? Other than the damage to the thing, what kind of safety problem is created when the standard "sub-standard" tires they've used goes off on a crowded interstate. What if shoddy wiring or H/A system causes a fire.
Another thing RVs have in common with the automobile is if certain parts fail, they'll hurt you.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #34

sad but true.
RV warranties are average compaired to automobile warranties, however some automotive manufacturers are backing out of warranty across USA or Canada unless you purchased locally.
if you purchased and then got transferred you might have an arguement.
We purchased our 2012 Salem out of the states because i was on MP posting and could bring back one item.
I chose to save almost 15G's by importing it to canada vs paying the 33G here.
same trailer and 15 G for a Canadian flag decal which seemed a bit much.
I wonder what arrangement the dealerships have with the factory for providing warranty work as a whole internationally?
friends of ours a couple years ago had a total delamination of the fiberglass shell on their 5th wheel and were told to haul it back to the factory for inspection one yr after they purchased new.
when you purchased the unit did anyone go over it with a fine tooth comb and list possible deficiencies?
Old 05-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #35

Here's the thing. Using a warranty, already built into the price, should be something to protect you in case something breaks. In my view, too many folks hardly get through the first trip without reporting this leaked, that broke, as a result of defects in material and workmanship.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
Here's the thing. Using a warranty, already built into the price, should be something to protect you in case something breaks. In my view, too many folks hardly get through the first trip without reporting this leaked, that broke, as a result of defects in material and workmanship.
This I agree with. There seems to be a common acceptance that if you buy a brand new RV it will be expected that you go on a trip or 3, find everything that's wrong with it, bring it back to the dealership so they can keep it for a month to fix things that should have been working on a brand new purchase.

I can imagine the headlines if every brand new car purchased at a car dealership were all back in for warranty service for things that never worked correctly or broke right away with normal use.

However, I really like my new RV, and this was the only way to get it. Every other rv I've owned, I bought used, and the previous owners worked out the "kinks". I knew going into this that there would very likely be issues with it. in fact there was a little under the table bet going on between my husband and I. So far I only lost on one count... the converter was broken from day one.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #37

Problems cont. with long distance purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussmax View Post
I bought my new RV in Virginia (Clems) and drove it home to San Diego. Saving at least 20k. That pays for a lot of inconvenience. We love our 2015 Prism 24G.

Forest River/Coachman has worked with me (and Clems of PA) to use a local RV repair shop (repair only... Does not sell RV's) to get my warranty work completed. Much better than driving 300 miles for a small repair.
This might be an option for you.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 05-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #38

Problems resolved by long distant dealer :)

My sales person, when he was made aware by service dept of issues, had a local mobile service guy at my campsite within 24 hrs. The belly was holding water that was leaking from a poorly or never connected kitchen sink drain pipe. While there he also addressed the auto leveling that wasn't working a bulb that was out and a faucet base that was spinning. He started by saying "There will be no charge to you for anything I do. It is being handled by the Dan and the dealership." He took pictures and did a great job. Moral of this story... the dealership was responsive. It took the sales person to get it going but then he understands customer service and relationship building more than the service guys. The coachmen warranty rep who I thought would be a help was none at all. I guess my hunch early on about Dan and the dealership was right. No regrets...yet
(I will say though a lot of the comments about workmanship issues are truly evident here.) Hope this might help someone else.
susanb06239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanb06239 View Post
My sales person, when he was made aware by service dept of issues, had a local mobile service guy at my campsite within 24 hrs. The belly was holding water that was leaking from a poorly or never connected kitchen sink drain pipe. While there he also addressed the auto leveling that wasn't working a bulb that was out and a faucet base that was spinning. He started by saying "There will be no charge to you for anything I do. It is being handled by the Dan and the dealership." He took pictures and did a great job. Moral of this story... the dealership was responsive. It took the sales person to get it going but then he understands customer service and relationship building more than the service guys. The coachmen warranty rep who I thought would be a help was none at all. I guess my hunch early on about Dan and the dealership was right. No regrets...yet
(I will say though a lot of the comments about workmanship issues are truly evident here.) Hope this might help someone else.

Great that things worked out. It pays to be persistent.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 05-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
Just goes to show the RV industry is the poster child for putting out crappy products. Like I said in another post, the stuff they put out makes a mid eighties Yugo look like a quality built car. What America needs in a RV built by Toyota, Honda, or some other Japanese run company.
I totally agree with you about the industry being the poster child for putting out crappy products along with horrible customer service.
gthomp10 is offline   Reply With Quote