Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #1

Quality Fails

We own a 2011 295 RLDS,which was in excellent shape when we bought it in 2016 ; it had not been rarely used by the previous owner.

Last year I started to do some upgrades and found some disturbing quality fails. I have provided the information to Coachmen as FYI (no requests for anything), and was told that all this was done after the original sale.

I am providing the same information I gave to Coachmen for the benefit of future buyers of their products.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Coachmen.pdf (1.32 MB, 176 views)
ataraxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:04 AM   #2

Ummm.... Well.... O.K., Welcome and sorry your first post had to be a negative one.

As far as sawdust and stuff, it's pretty much a given that all new RVs will have some. And, unfortunately all manufacturers have their issues. It will be interesting to see if you get a reply.

Enjoy and have fun
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #3

Sorry to hear (and see) about the issues you have. Fortunately it looks fairly minor so far. That ducting is super easy to fix.
If you haven't repaired it already, I suggest you go to Home Depot and pick up either a small chunk of solid pipe, or an elbow, and cut the damaged/access off, and use the metal as a coupling. Ensure you put a few screws in it right near the metal wire inside the flex, and tape up with foil tape.

I've started to do some work to our new trailer, and have found similar sloppy things done. I think I had 6-10 bare wires in behind the radio/TV. All just bunched together with stripped ends.

We also found balls of puddy and cut off pieces of zip ties under the kitchen cabinets, and in a corner by our slide.
Along with the usual saw dust after our first transport of the trailer.

The reality is these are assembled as quickly as possible, and because of that manufacturing speed detail things behind the scenes can be a little sloppy.
HVACGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #4

Welcome to the world of NO QUALITY CONTROL. HAPPY CAMPING 😊
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataraxy View Post
We own a 2011 295 RLDS,which was in excellent shape when we bought it in 2016 ; it had not been rarely used by the previous owner.

Last year I started to do some upgrades and found some disturbing quality fails. I have provided the information to Coachmen as FYI (no requests for anything), and was told that all this was done after the original sale.

I am providing the same information I gave to Coachmen for the benefit of future buyers of their products.http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ies/crying.gif
Looked at your pic's, and yes they show a lack of quality control. But they are minor issues that can be easily fixed/repaired. If after owning your rig for several years, these are the only problems you've found, then your way ahead of alot of others.
Sawdust, foam insulation, wire, nails, screws, even tools, cig butts, empty soda cans, have all been found in our rigs. Those who haven't found any, yet, just haven't looked hard enough.
Many horror stories about fridges comming out of the wall, slideouts not installed right, leaks, leaking water lines, ac units not properly installed, wireing and water lines draped over moving slide out parts, on and on.
Gotta be a DIY to enjoy these rigs. Be happy your problems are minor.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #6

I agree. I like things done correctly and neatly. This should have been caught by the original owner and fixed under warranty. Since it wasn't it's now your project. In all reality, if that's the worse that you find...you are doing pretty good. Don't worry, there will always be something to fix on your rv. Just enjoy it when you are not working on it.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
Empty Nesters

Of the items you listed I would NOT have returned to the dealer to fix any of them under warranty if the unit was purchased brand new. If it is an easy fix that I can do on the weekend with supplies from the local hardware store I prefer to do the work myself. I also would then retain possession of my RV instead of giving it up to the dealer for who knows how long.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataraxy View Post
I have provided the information to Coachmen as FYI ...
Quote:
An untrained monkey could do a better job.
What's the saying? You catch more flies with honey than vinegar?

If I wanted the other end to be receptive to this, I would have written this in an entirely different tone.

I'm not sure what you think this PDF accomplishes.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
What's the saying? You catch more flies with honey than vinegar?

If I wanted the other end to be receptive to this, I would have written this in an entirely different tone.

I'm not sure what you think this PDF accomplishes.
I agree. All the issues are pretty minor, compared to most.
I doubt Coachmen would care, seeing the the OP is not the original owner and it's a 8 year-old TT.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #10

Bob, all due respect, but those could all be fixed in less time than the letter would take to type and mail. The issues I addressed were much worse, and except for the AC unit replacement, I did them all myself. I sort of expected a lot of it and would rather fix it myself than have to mess with the dealer, or waste the fuel to take it there and pick it up...probably weeks later. But thats me. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #11

The first few days of owning my clipper, i had buyers remorse because all of the little issues that kept poping up. Stripped screws, screws that went into nothing, globs of wood filler every where, caulking that was smeard everyhwere, except where it was needed. A leaky sink, bolts on the frame that where lose. I try to fix a couple things while out camping, and a little here and there on the weekends.

But man i have had so much fun taking that thing out with my family. It made a weekend of firewood cutting, so much better. Than trying to get out there early and returning supper late. I was able to take my time and even a shower. So im happy with the new rig.

Im still finding metal shavings everytime i go into the thing. I do wish they asign new guy for caulking and wood putty, i think a blind monkey could have done a better job.
k2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #12

All stuff that I would repair myself. Sawdust, loose screws, loose plumbing connections are all a part of the fun. Fix them and happy camping!
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #13

I agree...

We've had our Avenger ATI 27RBS for about a month now, and I'm now convinced that when you buy a new RV, what you are essentially buying is a 96% assembled "RV Kit". The new owner has to finish out the remaining 4% of the completion.

I can't complain too much about our Avenger, I've only had to fix a few stripped screws, had to fix one of the speakers (bad crimp job) and reattach the thermostat to the wall (another stripped screw deal... sheet metal screws into luan with a screw gun and no backer just isn't the proper way to mount something to the wall...)

So far, everything has been an easy fix, and is now better that it would have been if it had not needed fixing in the first place.

If you know what end of a screwdriver does what, you should be able to fix most things in an RV yourself... it isn't anywhere near rocket science from what I'm seeing.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality