Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2020, 01:21 PM   #1

Questions on Viking 17FQM

Hello. I have never had a travel trailer. I am considering a Viking 17FQM (Front Queen Murphy bed). The dealer has some on order. He can't seem to keep any on the lot.

I have a 2011 Ford Ranger 4X4. From specifications on everything, I think it will pull it ok. It's paid off and it's what I have, so I have to look at trailers that my Ranger will handle. It's just me and my wife, probably just weekend outings, at least at first.

I hope Viking owners will post the good and the bad here.

Thanks!
Greg in East TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in East TN View Post
Hello. I have never had a travel trailer. I am considering a Viking 17FQM (Front Queen Murphy bed). The dealer has some on order. He can't seem to keep any on the lot.

I have a 2011 Ford Ranger 4X4. From specifications on everything, I think it will pull it ok. It's paid off and it's what I have, so I have to look at trailers that my Ranger will handle. It's just me and my wife, probably just weekend outings, at least at first.

I hope Viking owners will post the good and the bad here.

Thanks!
What's the truck's payload capacity from the driver's door Tires and Loading yellow sticker. It'll say "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs".
Single axle trailers are notorious for heavier than expected loaded tongue weights.
By the way, Viking's website doesn't show a 17FQM, just 17FQ and 17FQS.
https://coachmenrv.com/travel-traile...ing-ultra-lite
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:14 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply, Dan. I have compared the owner's manual ratings, door post ratings for tires, etc. The variable as you know is how much is loaded and how it is positioned when loading. There is a lot to consider and a lot to learn.

I drove an 18 wheeler semi truck all over the country for several years, so a 17 foot trailer should be a breeze compared to a 53 foot trailer. But part of the adventure is learning about new things.

You're right about not listing a 17FQM on the site. The dealer had them listed with video.

https://www.sandhillboats.com/projec...viking-17-fqm/

It will be interesting to go through the trailers when he gets a shipment of them in.

Thanks again!
Old 10-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you for your reply, Dan. I have compared the owner's manual ratings, door post ratings for tires, etc. The variable as you know is how much is loaded and how it is positioned when loading. There is a lot to consider and a lot to learn.

I drove an 18 wheeler semi truck all over the country for several years, so a 17 foot trailer should be a breeze compared to a 53 foot trailer. But part of the adventure is learning about new things.

You're right about not listing a 17FQM on the site. The dealer had them listed with video.

https://www.sandhillboats.com/projec...viking-17-fqm/

It will be interesting to go through the trailers when he gets a shipment of them in.

Thanks again!
So if you looked at the Tire and Loading door post rating, what was the payload capacity number on it? That information may help other less experienced newer members that are towing with a Ranger.
Sandhill Boats was the ONLY dealer, on a Google search, that listed it as a 17FQM.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #5

Whew! I've posted my numbers and several more. There are several pages of weight ratings in the Owner's Manual for all the different variations of the Ranger. I've only posted the last page of the table which contains the numbers for my truck.

I interpret the sticker to say the payload capacity of the truck to be 1133 lbs. So a tank of gas and two people leave around 650 lbs of stuff that is able to be carried in the truck.

From the 2011 Ford Ranger Owner's Manual:

Powertrain Maximum GCWR - lb (kg) / Maximum Trailer Weight - lb (kg)

2–Door without Jump Seat
4.0L w/manual transmission 7000 (3175) / 3120 (1415)
4.0L w/automatic transmission 9500 (4309) / 5580 (2531)

4–Door without Jump Seat
4.0L w/manual transmission 7000 (3175) / 3040 (1379)
4.0L w/automatic transmission 9500 (4309 /) 5500 (2495)

2–Door with Jump Seat
4.0L w/manual transmission 7000 (3175) / 3080 (1397)
4.0L w/automatic transmission 9500 (4309) / 5540 (2513)

(the white squares are where I removed the VIN)

I noticed that Sandhill was the only one with the FQM. That is why it will be an interesting day when he gets more trailers in and I can go into the actual trailers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR WO VIN.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	240937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door column sticker WO VIN.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	240938  
Old 10-11-2020, 02:38 PM   #6

The limiting factor

Quote:
I interpret the sticker to say the payload capacity of the truck to be 1133 lbs. So a tank of gas and two people leave around 650 lbs of stuff that is able to be carried in the truck.
Yes, 650 lbs. But you also have to deduct the tongue weight of the trailer from that--the tongue is supported by the truck and counts as payload.

It's generally conceded that the dry weight ("as shipped") of a trailer is fictional. It doesn't include the battery or propane tanks (dealer installed) or the goods you load. The GVWR is a more realistic number, 3830 lbs.

Folks on this forum usually figure that the tongue weight of a single-axle trailer is 15% of the GVWR, or in your case, 575 lbs. If I've figured this right, you will need to travel real light. Don't put any water in the fresh water tank until you reach your destination.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:35 PM   #7
cdog7201

Send a message via AIM to cdog7201
question on Viking

Greg I have a coachman 17fq. which is a sister to the Viking my trailer weighs in at about 2900 lbs. The coachman factory told me the Unloaded weight includes the full propane tank and a battery so that should help you some I have pulled my trailer for four years with a 2012 Jeep Liberty It has a wdh that also adds 8olbs to my payload but this allows me to pull up to 5000lbs I have a 3.7 V6 engine I have weighed every Item I put in my trailer OH my gvwr is 5600 lbs.MY tongue weight with my trailer loaded is from 400 to 450 lbs. which is under my tongue wt max' I can pull the trailer down most roads in the hilly part of southern IN with out any trouble and there are some big hills here. I keep my speed close to 60mph With the brake controller I have no trouble stopping .But I am loaded right at my limit some time I do have a tongue wt scale for peace of mind I have pulled through some mean winds also and the big boys want to push me off the road sometime when they pass but they pull me along sometime too.So if your weights will stay in limits go for it Being in TENN you have some bigger hills then I do.But you should be ok I was a truck driver too and that helps out on the road. You will need a wdh also it will be your friend. Good luck I was like you The jeep was paid for I couldn't afford a another truck so I bought what I could pull safely.
cdog7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog7201 View Post
Greg I have a coachman 17fq. which is a sister to the Viking my trailer weighs in at about 2900 lbs.

Thank you for your reply. I am gathering all this input and hope to get out and do some "hands on" research soon (if any dealers get any inventory in!).
Old 10-12-2020, 12:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
By the way, Viking's website doesn't show a 17FQM, just 17FQ and 17FQS.
https://coachmenrv.com/travel-traile...ing-ultra-lite

I have discovered that the Murphy Bed (sofa) is an option to the 17FQ.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #10
cdog7201

Send a message via AIM to cdog7201
question on vikeing

something to think about I wish we had a Murphy bed sometime when it is raining and the wind is blowing the rain under our awning the dinette set is not much room for you to set on wi0th the Murphy bed you have a couch to relax on . We do manage ok and its better than a popup for us. at least we get to camp and relax in the peaceful country. it pulls like a dream. all campers have their pluses and minuses.and the less equipment you have the the less trouble you will have. the manufactures put these thing together so they can be pulled down the road So expect to have some maintenance to keep up on.that helps to keep old retired truck drivers from getting bored.
cdog7201 is offline   Reply With Quote