Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #1

Removing food, linens etc for winter storage?

Greetings All:

Getting ready to place the Coachmen Catalina 243 RBS into hibernation for the winter (sob!) Besides winterization of the plumbing systems, what do you recommend removing from the TT and storing at home?

We are concerned about mice etc. a friend suggested removing all linens, blankets, towels and storing at home. Ideas? Suggestion? We live in Nebraska and temps can get -20 in the winter.

2016 Coachmen Catalina Banner Edition
2014 Ford F-150 with Ecoboost, 4WD
Two sassy Scottish Terriers😌
Vallgrlx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #2

Put a few mice baits around the inside of the unit. In over 30 years of camping we have always left the 'camper linens' in the camper all of the time.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:53 PM   #3

We remove all food and liquids that can freeze (soaps, lotion, liquid fire extinguishers, etc). Also remove all batteries from smoke detectors and flashlights (if one goes bad it can leak and corrode). Linens are washed and kept in the camper but we keep them in plastic totes for easy storage. This year I removed the lcd TV and we are using it in the house. Not sure if the cold affects it, but don't want to chance it. Sealed up the underbelly and will set/check mouse traps around the camper area. I plan on leaving the battery installed (but it is disconnected). Will charge it via the campers power source or by separate charger (depending on my mood and how much work I want to do). Make sure you cover the tires to keep the sun off them and keep them aired up. I am trying something new this year, our camper is up on blocks to get the weight off the tires.

We are just down I76/I80 from you in Denver. Similar cold temps.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #4

Remove all food and food products so there is no source of attraction period ... I've seen others with tupperware containers chewed thru.

I recommend the bait traps outside, up on the axles or other elevated locations ... dead mice will stink up the inside when it warms up.

Get a couple cans of expanding insulating foam, and go thru the entire trailer, filling up holes around plumbing, gas lines, and wiring cut during manufacturing ... you'll be surprised at just how many there are and the size of them ... this is the key place mice come in thru from the bottom side.

We leave linens, towels, some clothing, etc in the trailer over the winter, but store them in the cabinets that are elevated and don't have holes mentioned above in them.

Close all window blinds to stop the sun from fading fabrics, and people looking in.

Put a cinderblock under the tongue jack and crank it up to that the trailer has a good angle on it (10-15 degrees) so that all the water and snow drain off the roof.

Prop the frig door open so it vents and doesn't get mildew smell in it.

We leave Irish Spring bar soap in the boxes, and several Bounce dryer sheets around the floor ... not sure if it really works, or is just a wives tail ... but we've never had mice in our trailers or those they we've recommended this above to as well.

Good Luck!
Old 10-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We just winterized our park model today. We have done this for 6 years now. All clean linens stay in plastic bins with bounce sheets. All items mice can mess are in a mouse prove cabinet. We used bounce sheets, plug all holes around plumbing etc. This year we added peppermint extract to all cabinets. Use plug in mouse repellents all over the trailer as well. We minimize damage, can not keep them away 100%.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #6

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1444701782.502887.jpg
Views: 1892
Size:  132.2 KB

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #7

Go to local farm supply and buy Cab Fresh. Farmers use it in their equipment and swear by it
Dkjones28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #8

After taking out all the food and items that could freeze I scatter a few pouches of Fresh Cab repellant around. Have not had any problems.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I have used hedge apples placed through out the camper in a butter cup container to keep mice away. Apparently the apples give off a smell that rodents do not like. Done this for years never had problems. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #10
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Remove anything that can be a nest, all paper, linen, etc. We leave all the cupboards and closet doors open.
Stainless steel steelwool to put into any vent or opening where critters may get in. (SS won't rust outdoors)
We found Cab Fresh at some WalMarts works good for us. It comes in pouches we put under cabinets, in drawers, and hang near the AC and Heater vents. We then take peppermint oil and put on tea bags and spread those around too. (the peppermint is a trick we heard about when we had a pop up and the mice were eating the canvas - it worked).
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #11

Always

We always remove everything from the trailer before putting it away.

Why take chances? I would hate to find shredded everything all over the inside of the cupboards.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #12

We remove any and all food after every trip if the RV will be stored for more than a week. All clean linens and clothing are kept in there place in the RV. Any unclean items are taken to our brick and sticks home, cleaned and replaced in the RV ready for the next trip.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Put a few mice baits around the inside of the unit. In over 30 years of camping we have always left the 'camper linens' in the camper all of the time.
Why would anyone offer a supply of food to bring mice in for a snack?
Go get some FRESH CAB which keeps them out of your trailer!

We use it and leave linen, toilet paper, towels and last year food tissues and other nice things and. No sign of a rodent
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #14

Mice Oh no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallgrlx2 View Post
Greetings All:

Getting ready to place the Coachmen Catalina 243 RBS into hibernation for the winter (sob!) Besides winterization of the plumbing systems, what do you recommend removing from the TT and storing at home?

We are concerned about mice etc. a friend suggested removing all linens, blankets, towels and storing at home. Ideas? Suggestion? We live in Nebraska and temps can get -20 in the winter.

2016 Coachmen Catalina Banner Edition
2014 Ford F-150 with Ecoboost, 4WD
Two sassy Scottish Terriers😌
Most folks worry about the issue of mice in their coach over the winter, the first thing you should have already done is to seal any and all openings in the bottom of the coach with expanda foam, this will slow down the mice, then go inside and do the same in all the areas you can reach, (under all the sinks, beds etc.) then if you have a area under you bed for storage you can put the items in plastic bins or take home. As for food items yes every single item comes out you do not want to feed the little bastards.

Now for other things to do, vacuum the coach, take out any thing that can make bedding (toilet paper, tissues) and box then up, then put "Fresh Cab" all around your coach and hope for the best in spring.

Good luck i will cry with you (will be winterizing mine this weekend) and then just dream for Happy Camping for next year.
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #15

Have to winterize ours tomorrow. Predicting snow flurries Saturday and Sunday here
Last Saturday night it was 30 degrees F.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:27 PM   #16
Cyber Phrenologist

Don't forget to plug your vents with vent cushions.

Trying a new thing this year: Buying cheap dark colored towels at Walmart. Clipping them to the window valances with clothes pins or "bulldog clips" to block out the UV light and provide some insulation. Also makes it harder for would be thieves to case the trailer.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:40 PM   #17

We store ours at home and keep our towels an linens in the trailer all winter, my wife made some little cloth bags full of spearmint leaves and we set mouse traps. The only time we had a mouse problem was when I parked it too close to the uncut field next door and forgot to put the traps and spearmint in the trailer.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #18

It is hard to keep em out.

We have had mice problems with two of our campers over the years and finally decided to remove all linens, paper, etc. when we winterize. It is often a nearly impossible task to keep those little critters out and it is hard to believe how small of an opening they can get through. One of our campers had a problem with the seal around a slide that I simply could not find a way to seal based on its location and access. One thing for sure, if you have a mouse invasion, you will have a different attitude about the whole matter.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies & Chips View Post

several Bounce dryer sheets around the floor ... not sure if it really works, or is just a wives tail ... but we've never had mice in our trailers or those they we've recommended this above to as well.

Good Luck!
I too use dryer sheets! I put the linens in a plastic bin. Remove all food products. I still use the dryer sheets all over sheets that I leave on the bed to keep mice from burrowing into the mattresses. I use the dryer sheets on my booth seats...again, I cover the seats with sheets though so the oils from the dryer sheets won't stain them. And I tuck the dryer sheets down the cracks of my couches etc.
lindalees818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #20
WFD

Another vote for removing all linens and paper items as well as all food items. A good cleaning prior to storage and plenty of Bounce sheets everywhere, including outside storage compartments. No problems in 4 years, so we keep rolling with it.
We have also been told that mice do not like limestone so the storage facility we use is a limestone lot and no trailers are stored on grassy areas.

Tags
storage, winter