Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #1

Repair Update and Advice Request

Hello friends. As some of you know I got into the side of the storage facility where I keep my 2016 Apex 28bhhs on the way home from our first family camping trip back in March. I detailed my issues in an earlier post in which I listed several pictures. Many were super encouraging and I really appreciated the kind words!

Anyways, it's been 3 months since I dropped off my trailer with the dealer I purchased it from and still haven't got it back. I'm ok with this because I know these types of repairs can take time but it has been frustrating because they have done a Terrible job of keeping me updated. I've had to basically call every two weeks for updates. In addition to the lack of communication and being told that it would be ready in a week and then finding out it would be another week I have found out today that they have either ordered or been shipped the wrong awning twice.
I called the owner of the dealership and explained my concerns but was told by him that the rv industry is notoriously bad about sending wrong parts and delaying shipping. I have no idea of this is true or not.
We've had to cancel one week long vacation due to this after being told it would be done in time for it.
Here's where I need your help. I own my own HVAC business that my dad started 36 years ago. I'm in the service business ordering equipment and parts everyday. At no point have I seen shipping this bad. If I operated this way I honestly think I'd go out of business.
Question 1. For those who have had body repairs on your rv is this normal? Are my expectations unwarranted?
Question 2. Should I get Coachmen involved? I don't want to be a pest but I would like to use the camper this summer.
Trailer was dropped off in middle march. Needed repairs include new awning, new steps, new outdoor tv outlet jack cover and some scratch repair.
All replies are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dixiedawg80
Equalizer WDH/Anti-sway
Dixiedawg80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
Site Team

I would get Coachmen involved.
Dealers are notorious for blaming the manufacturer, so they can deflect customer anger away from them because it's their own fault for the delays.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I would get Coachmen involved.
Dealers are notorious for blaming the manufacturer, so they can deflect customer anger away from them because it's their own fault for the delays.
You will find MANY on this forum who will agree with this.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
Site Team

X2 on calling Coachmen and ask them. Many of these delays are really dealer issues.See contact info in Library section

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:45 PM   #5
Scoundrel

After three months you are a justifiably angry customer. Definitely not a pest.
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #6

3 months? I'd probably be livid. I own a 288BHS as well. Had some minor warranty work done. Coachmen was fantastic when I called with questions. I would bet it's the service center dropping the ball, not Coachmen. Sounds to me like you're getting the run around.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
Dahagen

My son is the service manager for an independent RV service shop and when they order the RIGHT part they almost always get the right part. And after ordering, the parts usually arrive within a week. I has a warranty issue with my Coachman motorhome at the purchasing dealership: After 2 months of waiting, I called Coachman and found out the part had never been ordered by the big name dealer. My son got the part at no charge from Coachman in a week, so he did the repair and billed Coachman for the labor.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiedawg80 View Post
Hello friends. As some of you know I got into the side of the storage facility where I keep my 2016 Apex 28bhhs on the way home from our first family camping trip back in March. I detailed my issues in an earlier post in which I listed several pictures. Many were super encouraging and I really appreciated the kind words!

Anyways, it's been 3 months since I dropped off my trailer with the dealer I purchased it from and still haven't got it back. I'm ok with this because I know these types of repairs can take time but it has been frustrating because they have done a Terrible job of keeping me updated. I've had to basically call every two weeks for updates. In addition to the lack of communication and being told that it would be ready in a week and then finding out it would be another week I have found out today that they have either ordered or been shipped the wrong awning twice.
I called the owner of the dealership and explained my concerns but was told by him that the rv industry is notoriously bad about sending wrong parts and delaying shipping. I have no idea of this is true or not.
We've had to cancel one week long vacation due to this after being told it would be done in time for it.
Here's where I need your help. I own my own HVAC business that my dad started 36 years ago. I'm in the service business ordering equipment and parts everyday. At no point have I seen shipping this bad. If I operated this way I honestly think I'd go out of business.
Question 1. For those who have had body repairs on your rv is this normal? Are my expectations unwarranted?
Question 2. Should I get Coachmen involved? I don't want to be a pest but I would like to use the camper this summer.
Trailer was dropped off in middle march. Needed repairs include new awning, new steps, new outdoor tv outlet jack cover and some scratch repair.
All replies are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dixiedawg80
As a business owner you already know the answers to your questions. Put simply, you are being BS'd.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
As a business owner you already know the answers to your questions. Put simply, you are being BS'd.

Very well put. You're right of course.
Equalizer WDH/Anti-sway
Old 06-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #10
Happy Camper

If a Camping World (CW) service department is involved, you can expect delays, no service contact, poor excuses, and multiple problems.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #11

I agree to this. My Class C spent almost 4 months (back and forth) at their shop here in Vegas for 3 leaking windows. Lies after lies. Ordered the WRONG parts 3x. Blamed it on FR. I called FR and asked. They said "they shipped whatever CW ordered", which I believe. I was promised a pick up date twice, only to be told the day before I was supposed to pick up the RV that they have ordered the WRONG part. Last time I was there to pick up the RV, I noticed they only fixed 1, out of the 3 leaking windows. I emailed Mike Lemonis (CW Corp. Office). NOTHING happened. I also filed a complaint with BBB Chicago against Camping World. NOTHING happened.

So, I understand your frustration. Good luck with your dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntgif View Post
If a Camping World (CW) service department is involved, you can expect delays, no service contact, poor excuses, and multiple problems.
ADOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntgif View Post

I've heard this too but mine is with the dealer I bought it from which is a smaller family owned operation. Longtime Coachmen dealer too. Thanks!
Equalizer WDH/Anti-sway
Old 06-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #13

Is the unit usable?? Unless it's absolutely not roadworthy I'd be taking it home to use and tell them to call when the parts arrive.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
Is the unit usable?? Unless it's absolutely not roadworthy I'd be taking it home to use and tell them to call when the parts arrive.
This!

But I'd suspect it had damage making it unusable.

My trailer was hit going to Gatlinburg last summer. Pretty major damage to the front drivers corner, and half way down the street side, but it was usable. I had Coachmen do all the repair, so no delay in "getting parts". Since it was usable, the factory suggested using it the remainder of the season and bring it up to them in the late fall. It worked out great. I turned the trip up into a camping trip at Indiana Dunes and the pick up trip into a camping weekend with friends in Ft. Wayne. All paid for by the girl that hit me's insurance company.

j

2016 nights camped: 40
2017 nights camped: 16
2017 nights reserved: 30
VizJedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair