Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 11:00 AM   #1

Small light to illuminate control panel

Hello.
Our trailer has the control panel right near the entry door. Needless to say, if we are coming in at night, it is hard to see which rocker switch controls what.
Has anyone added a small 12 volt light above the control panel to illuminate the rocker switches (in a dim fashion)? Pics and possible links would be nice too.
Thank you.
montelovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #2

What about using a puck light?
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #3

Would a small LED license plate light work? We have only had our fifth wheel for a couple weeks and have notice the same thing. We do have a small hall light that just lights the stairs but the panel itself is hard to see. We also don’t like leaving lights on when we are out and about so know where your coming from. We are thinking of how to address this as well.
KFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #4

KFinn... that's the 'concept' I'm hoping to find a solution for... something like a license place light... small sconce light.. something small that would just illuminate that area and can be turned off when we're done with it.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #5

I have been considering something like this for awhile and what I have come up with is using a RV stair well light that illuminates the control panel without blinding in you in the process.

Something like this....

Https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Lightin...8302746&sr=8-3

Also you could install a dimmer inline with it as well.

https://www.amazon.com/BZONE-12-24V-...%2C176&sr=8-34
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:14 PM   #6

Mine is the same but after unscrewing the panel I found that it was already translucent where the words are. I put led lighting behind it instead and added a switch to use it to turn the backlight off/on.

Hopefully that helps and yours is the same.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:33 AM   #7

That would work amazing I will have to check mine out. There is a blank spot for another switch.
KFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:59 AM   #8

If you don't want to hard wire in a light, consider a battery operated led light. You can get them that usb recharge or take standard batteries. They use a stick on magnet to hold them in place.
Lots of models to choose from.... here's one https://smile.amazon.com/Homelife-Wi...%2C205&sr=1-31
Old 08-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #9

On my RS320 the panel is inside a cabinet in front of the door. I added a magnetic switch to the door the put a 12v led light strip along the top inside the door. Open the door the legs come on, close the door they go off.
pdgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatum65 View Post
I have been considering something like this for awhile and what I have come up with is using a RV stair well light that illuminates the control panel without blinding in you in the process.

Something like this....

Https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Lightin...8302746&sr=8-3

Also you could install a dimmer inline with it as well.

https://www.amazon.com/BZONE-12-24V-...%2C176&sr=8-34

that is good idea!!!
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
If you don't want to hard wire in a light, consider a battery operated led light. You can get them that usb recharge or take standard batteries. They use a stick on magnet to hold them in place.
Lots of models to choose from.... here's one https://smile.amazon.com/Homelife-Wi...%2C205&sr=1-31
I have been using this style of light for a couple of years. Motion sensor and quick easy install. This is the way to go.
Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by montelovers View Post
KFinn... that's the 'concept' I'm hoping to find a solution for... something like a license place light... small sconce light.. something small that would just illuminate that area and can be turned off when we're done with it.
I put these on my license plate. It could work for what you are thinking and be pretty small if you don't want to back light it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Z6WQ6Q..._sdzrFbRPGFJSV
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:58 PM   #13

I never go out of the house (or RV) without a flashlight. Makes no difference if it's day or night, what time I plan to be home, etc. If nothing else, a small light clipped to my key ring. Having one saved my life once many years ago. They also come in handy for finding things like unraveling DW's chicken wire from the lawn mower blades. I highly recommend the practice.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:41 AM   #14

Dbledan: That's something interesting to me. May just look into it and put it on a switch to turn on/off when needed. Thank you.

Adrian: totally agree with your practice. This is more if I'm at the campground outside by the fire and only have the accent lights on in the rv (they are still not bright enough to light up the control panel) or when we wake up in the middle of the night and try to find that one light switch.

Thank you everyone.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:01 AM   #15

Small light to illuminate control panel

We had the same issue with our fifth wheel ... our panel is actually behind a cupboard door.

Ordered this from amazon and loved it so much that I've since ordered another for the ceiling of the master bedroom closet, as DH kept leaving the 12 volt ceiling light on.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
leahmeilleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #16

panel light

We had the same issue so we put a battery powered light switch down low on the wall, right as you enter from outside. We put it low so that we can reach it from the steps outside to flip the switch. it's very bright and lights up the whole entryway area of the tt so plenty of light to see the control panel. I like the idea of the small license plate light so I'm going to look into that for right above the control panel. We have the led motion sensor lights all over our tt (in cabinets and we love them) but these didn't work for us in this application. We found that when we (or the dogs) moved at night that it triggered the light and it turned on. It was so bright that it was disturbing our sleep so we took it down. Just something to keep in mind, your mileage may vary.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincia View Post
We had the same issue so we put a battery powered light switch down low on the wall, right as you enter from outside. We put it low so that we can reach it from the steps outside to flip the switch. it's very bright and lights up the whole entryway area of the tt so plenty of light to see the control panel. I like the idea of the small license plate light so I'm going to look into that for right above the control panel. We have the led motion sensor lights all over our tt (in cabinets and we love them) but these didn't work for us in this application. We found that when we (or the dogs) moved at night that it triggered the light and it turned on. It was so bright that it was disturbing our sleep so we took it down. Just something to keep in mind, your mileage may vary.
https://www.harborfreight.com/200-lu...ght-64723.html
Old 10-27-2020, 05:40 PM   #18

We have the same problem. I think a courtesy light like this one below may do the trick. if there is an empty switch location I may just add a switch for it on the panel, or just find one with its own switch.

We have a toy hauler, and the problem is worse when entering from the garage as the switches for the room are a little further away. I GUESS IT WOULD MAKE TOO MUCH SENCE TO PUT THE SWITCH BY THE DOOR!!

https://www.amazon.com/LED-Convenien.../dp/B003QK5QKU

2021 FR XLR Nitro 35DK5
2019 F250 SRW 6.7 PS Diesel
RI_Shoota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:50 PM   #19
Defender of America

Mr Beams

Stuck a small motion activated Mr Beams light over the panel and it comes on when I open the door. I've usually got my hands full so automatic works great. And it turns off by itself which is also great because grandkids know how to turn lights on but can't seems to be able to turn them off.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:03 PM   #20

Perhaps one of these would work for you. Connect the LED light negative side to COM and NC terminal to ground. The switch will be open when the door is closed. It's the same type used for electric steps. It only has to sink about 100mw.

https://www.amazon.com/Directed-Elec...ag=googhydr-20
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light