Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #1

Solar Questions - Coachmen Brookstone 395RL

I got this 100W Solar Panel on Amazon during a "lightning deal"
ALLPOWERS 100W 18V 12V Bendable Flexible Solar Panel Charger Lightweight SunPower Solar Charger with MC4

Now I have some questions.

1) There is a connector on the front of my 5ver that says it's a solar input (pre-wired for solar). Does this go to a charge controller inside the trailer so I can simply hook up the panel without needing to install a charge controller?
2) If I have the solar panel connected but then need more power and I turn on the generator, there will be two sources trying to charge the batteries (solar and Inverter/Charger). Is this a problem? I would think that having two charge sources connected would possibly cause damage.

If you can answer one or both of these questions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Kevlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Most times "solar ready" means there is wiring for solar and that is it. You will most likely still need a controller. If you are buying a controller, get one that is 2-3 times the capacity your current panel needs. That way you can always add another panel or two without having to buy a new controller.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #3

If you can post a picture of the connector I can confirm it, habitually only one brand of controller are working with "solar ready" pre wired plug, you need to buy a Zamp one.

https://www.zampsolar.com/rv-solar-k...y-rv-kit-srrv/
MattSBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #4

Installed It

I installed the panel over the weekend. The pre-wired connector was just a direct connection to the battery with an inline fuse. I just cut the wires at the connector and attached those to the solar controller. It seems to work but I was in an area with a lot of trees. I'll have to see how well it really works when parked in the open sun.

I also started our generator while I had the solar panel hooked up and it did not appear to damage anything, but I'm still curious, is this supposed to be OK?

Thanks.
Kevlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Most times "solar ready" means there is wiring for solar and that is it. You will most likely still need a controller. If you are buying a controller, get one that is 2-3 times the capacity your current panel needs. That way you can always add another panel or two without having to buy a new controller.

Good advice[emoji16]
Topper Harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, solar, coachmen