Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2021, 06:21 AM   #1

Speaker Zones

I have a ‘21 Freedom Express 279RLDSLE with the Furrion Bluetooth/CD/DVD unit and I’m looking to change how my speakers are wired in the camper. Ideally I can have one zone that plays outside and one zone for inside but for whatever reason, mine is wired where the outside/inside front half of the camper in a zone and outside/inside back half of the camper. So, when we watch movies inside the camper, they can be heard outside the camper no matter which zone I have it set to play on. Hopefully it’s just as easy as popping the face of the player off and changing wire locations. Does anybody have any experience/advice??
1golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:29 AM   #2

That sounds like a warranty item. I have the same system in my Spirit and one zone is inside and the other is outside.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #3

If you pull the stereo out from the cabinet you should see a bunch of wires with a connector to the back of the stereo. The stereo owners manual should have the wiring info to determine the way it should be wired.

On a previous rig we had it was wired backwards so the ourside speakers were zone 1 (which was surround sound for the living room), living room was zone 2. It was an easy thing to change, I took the time to also wire in this switch to eliminate anything going outside unless we wanted it. The stereo was made that all zones were energized then you had to turn ones off you didn’t want. Learned it the hard way when a nice camping neighbor knocked on the door asking that we shut them off.

I used a DPST toggle switch (I used NAPA part TG6145)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAED1D82-388F-4FF5-B70E-5AF6E8FC673C.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	257727  
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:25 AM   #4

Awesome, thanks! I pulled the face off of it yesterday and it appears that the wires aren’t in a “snap in” type connector so it may have to wait til I get home so I can really work on it.
1golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:45 AM   #5

common problem to have stereo wires just hooked anywhere... in any of the models/brands

fairly simple to use the info found on the back of the receiver to put the correct wire to the correct speaker

have some crimp connectors or wire nuts handy when you do this, as there are not just lugs on the back to accomplish this.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1golfer View Post
Awesome, thanks! I pulled the face off of it yesterday and it appears that the wires aren’t in a “snap in” type connector so it may have to wait til I get home so I can really work on it.
FYI, When I was changing ours I had a multi wire connector but didn’t feel like messing with it and screwing it up so just located the wires, snipped them, stripped and connected them to the proper wire. Used butt connectors when connecting them correctly. The place I skipped was on the coach side of the connector, not the stereo side
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:57 AM   #7

Should be pretty straight forward to figure out what is what on the radio end, most are coded or printed on.
For the speakers you can use a nine volt battery on the wires and it will crackle the speaker it's connected too.
Some are hooked in series if you had a really poor install.
Good luck!
HVACGuy is offline   Reply With Quote