Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2021, 04:01 PM   #1

Stabilizers are these normal or bad

STABILIZERS ARE THESE NORMAL OR BAD

This is a Forrest River Coachman 248 RBS 2019
This was purchased in April of 2019 and the stabilizers from day one have been extremely rocky.

I am wanting to know if this is normal? They seem so very sloppy that it feels as though someone pulled these from an old TT and put them on here.
These measure 30 long and 2 inches wide. Is this normal?
Does anyone think a new pair will be better? Please see the attached video.

https://youtu.be/YyxX3kP4E40

Thanks in advance for any and all input.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:39 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Your stabilizers are just for up and down movement NOT side to side or back and forth.
And... when they have some weight on them, they do stabilize up and down. The stabilizers that come from the factory (like you have) are merely to keep the frame in somewhat of a level plane, once parked, not for movement.

If you are looking to get rid of the rocking and side to side movement associated with a R/V, you'll need to be thinking about X-Chocks and any of the triangulation stabilizers such as JT's Strong Arms or SteadyFast.

If permanent, think about cement block piers.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Your stabilizers are just for up and down movement NOT side to side or back and forth.
And... when they have some weight on them, they do stabilize up and down. The stabilizers that come from the factory (like you have) are merely to keep the frame in somewhat of a level plane, once parked, not for movement.

If you are looking to get rid of the rocking and side to side movement associated with a R/V, you'll need to be thinking about X-Chocks and any of the triangulation stabilizers such as JT's Strong Arms or SteadyFast.

If permanent, think about cement block piers.

I want to thank you for the reply. I was aware that the stabilizers are for steadying the frame but I assumed that they would also aid in movement at least a little. Doesn't mine seem much more sloppy than most? Or maybe not.

I was just looking at JT Armstrong. But am still wondering if my sloppy stabilizers with somehow take away the efficiency of the Armstrong.

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...ert-Components
/LC191025.html

Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
I want to thank you for the reply. I was aware that the stabilizers are for steadying the frame but I assumed that they would also aid in movement at least a little. Doesn't mine seem much more sloppy than most? Or maybe not.

I was just looking at JT Armstrong. But am still wondering if my sloppy stabilizers with somehow take away the efficiency of the Armstrong.

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...ert-Components
/LC191025.html

Thanks again.
That's Strongarm, not Armstrong -- if you're doing a Search. I use them to great advantage but I don't know how they would work for you.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:38 PM   #5
CGK
Camping with Labs

Those stabilizers do look a bit more "sloppy" than any we've had on our TTs, but as 5picker says, they are made to provide up-and-down support and not side-to-side stability. Pretty sure when you engage the stabilizers, they won't move much in any direction. And if they do, chocks and/or X-chocks can help with that. It does look like there might be some surface rust on those stabilizers....perhaps more than one would expect in a 2019 TT. Something to consider on another day if that is the case.
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #6

X chocks will help with front/back stability. I had the JT system on my last trailer and they really help a lot. The Steadyfast looks even better.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:17 PM   #7

It's been a few years since I had a TT but IMHO they seem to have a lot more play than I ever recall having on my TT's over the years and though once they're down completely they should stabilize it as others have said. I agree that as CGK stated they seem to have a lot of rust on them for only being 2019. My last TT which I had for 8 yrs. looked way better than those and I lived in Massachusetts and left them deployed throughout the winter. I'm just pointing it out since I don't know what brand they are. I also noticed several nuts/bolts on the top I might see if those can be tighten and see if that matters.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #8

X2 on the X chocks. We got them when we had a 5er, and now use them on our TT. Amazing how much rocking, back and forth movement, they eliminate. Just an observation on your stabilizers, they sure are awful rusty for only being 2 years old.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #9

I had alot of movement on my fiver with the stabs they had on mine. i built some JT like units for my landing gear and still had some movement however i added some sissors to the frame just behind the axles and now it is the best for no movement they were purchased of all places Harbor frieght and they are alot better than those you have as mine look and feel alot stiffer. Also I have found if you keep the stabs from full extension with blocking they tend to work better.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #10

They are somewhat loose.
After you verify that the mounting screws into the frame are snug and that nothing is broken, then you must consider all the joints in the jack...all of which have slop. I've never even considered a test such as you performed, so I can't compare my experience to yours. I maintain the jacks...washing off grit and lubing...but both actions are done while they are stationary. I usually wash at home, and I usually lube while the jacks are extended so I know how much of the lead screw needs to be lubed. Dry lube is best, because it won't collect dirt. I lube the lead screw, the nut end of the lead screw and where it goes through the washer and bushing, and all the joints in the jack.

Recommendation. Get X-Chocks to really stabilize the trailer fore and aft. Nothing, including the tongue jack, firms up the rig nearly as well as these do. These completely transform the rig's stability.
https://www.amazon.com/X-Chock-Wheel...ag=googhydr-20

Next, Anderson or EZ/RV levelers do a lot to securely cradle the tires when compared to "lego stacks" and other methods of side-to-side leveling.
Anderson: https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
EZ/RV: https://www.amazon.com/EZ-RV-Leveler...653893&sr=8-29
I chose the EZ/RV levelers, because the slightly shorter main lift "snail" is easier to use on dual axle rigs.
I enhanced my levelers by using two pieces of 3/4" plywood cut to 12" x 24" as a base for the levelers (we are often on soft ground), and I replaced the thin rubber pad with pieces of tractor-trailer mud-flaps cut to about 12" wide by the roughly 30" height of the flap. These are non-skid surfaces that are also indestructible. My wife and I can level up in about 3 or 4 minutes...start to finish...with this setup.

These two systems will substantially improve your rig's stability, and they will leave the stab jacks to do just one job...provide vertical stabilization to each corner.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:21 PM   #11

My $0.02 worth? Looks like the mounting bolts to the frame are loose and the stabilizer is extended too far. Normally you want to have blocks under them to allow the shortest extension you can safely.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:27 PM   #12

Scissor jacks are made to lift once you put them on the ground they will do the job. I had on one of my trailers a hydride set inside it still shook. I lifted it till tires off the ground put block under it never any movement.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:02 PM   #13

Thanks to all for the information. Happy Camping to you all.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:33 PM   #14

Put some weight on them then see how they work. I don't believe this is anyway to judge stabilizer jacks.
Reminder stabilizer jacks are not to raise a RV just firm up the movement. Use the other devices mentioned to remove further movement.
DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #15
Trailer Park Supervisor

My 2019 camper stabilizers look equally junky, at least the paint. I never noticed if they are 'rocky' like that. But I think they paint them with water color paints.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:58 PM   #16

Never really thought about it before, What if you made/constructed somewhat of a large Xpatern foot for the bottom to cover more surface area @ 360°
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:17 AM   #17

A good friend of mine went to a local saw mill. He had them cut 4 10X10x24 posts. He stained them, then added pieces of rope secured with washers & screws. He can add smaller pieces if he has to. They work great since he doesn’t have to drop the stabilizer jacks all the way down. As some else stated the less you have to crank them down the better they work.
Marc J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
A good friend of mine went to a local saw mill. He had them cut 4 10X10x24 posts. He stained them, then added pieces of rope secured with washers & screws. He can add smaller pieces if he has to. They work great since he doesn’t have to drop the stabilizer jacks all the way down. As some else stated the less you have to crank them down the better they work.

This is exactly what I did when we had out 5th wheel NUWA. What a difference they made.

Any way thanks for all the helpful replies.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:20 PM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc J View Post

Yup, I put as many boards as I have under the stabs, the less you crank down, the more stable. I laugh when I drive through camp ground and see stabs cranked down so far the trailer looks like a hippo ballerina standing on tippy toes!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Yup, I put as many boards as I have under the stabs, the less you crank down, the more stable. I laugh when I drive through camp ground and see stabs cranked down so far the trailer looks like a hippo ballerina standing on tippy toes!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stabilizer, stabilizers