Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #1

Stereo upgrade?

My camper is at the dealer getting a speaker fixed. This has me thinking of upgrading the stereo. Has anyone upgraded their head unit or speakers? Maybe just adding a subwoofer would help. Any ideas from those of you who are more stereo savvy than I am?
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaTom View Post
My camper is at the dealer getting a speaker fixed. This has me thinking of upgrading the stereo. Has anyone upgraded their head unit or speakers? Maybe just adding a subwoofer would help. Any ideas from those of you who are more stereo savvy than I am?
When we picked ours up, this fit in the category of "probably have to do that before two long." Well, it remains undone and has slid way down the list. I still think about it sometimes. Here are my thoughts:

Not sure I would do anything with the head unit. Assuming yours has the same Jensen integrated head unit, the size is a problem, and finding something that incorporates as much as it does with multi-zone speakers would be tough. Speakers on the other hand would make a pretty big difference. Problem again is size and location. Replacing the small pod sized speakers with a conventional 6.5 inch round speaker would require some interesting customization.

I think adding a sub would be best bang for the buck. I am thinking something like an all in one Bazooka that takes line level inputs and can be hidden somewhere would work well.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #3

Thats the way I was leaning too. Figured it would be the quickest and easiest as well.

BTW, did I read that you were looking at a new 5er? Want a new rig just 'cause or are you having problems with yours?

Old 03-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #4

Chances are that a head unit replacement won't get you any better sound. Suggest you first focus on the sound quality from you EXISTING speakers as most are crap and easily replaced for a significant quality improvement. You don't say what size speakers you have presently...but my "hint" would be to avoid brands that are either not well known or known for their electronics. Focus on companies known for their home or car speakers...Polk, JBL, AR, MBQuart, JLAudio, Boston, etc.

Assuming you don't want to boost the sound LEVELS a lot ... then the next thing to look at is filling in the missing bass with a powered subwoofer. As JeepLG8 suggests...Bazooka makes some nice tubes.... but is tough to find a home for the space needed. There are some compact car sub systems like the Infinity BassLink (10"Woofer + 200w amp) that give nice impact in a small space worth considering as well. (If you add a powered sub...make sure you're plugged in somewhere or add another battery!! )
What exactly do you have now (radio & at least speaker sizes) & how much of a budget do you have & what would you like to see most improved that has you unhappy now?
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Chances are that a head unit replacement won't get you any better sound. Suggest you first focus on the sound quality from you EXISTING speakers as most are crap and easily replaced for a significant quality improvement. You don't say what size speakers you have presently...but my "hint" would be to avoid brands that are either not well known or known for their electronics. Focus on companies known for their home or car speakers...Polk, JBL, AR, MBQuart, JLAudio, Boston, etc.

Assuming you don't want to boost the sound LEVELS a lot ... then the next thing to look at is filling in the missing bass with a powered subwoofer. As JeepLG8 suggests...Bazooka makes some nice tubes.... but is tough to find a home for the space needed. There are some compact car sub systems like the Infinity BassLink (10"Woofer + 200w amp) that give nice impact in a small space worth considering as well. (If you add a powered sub...make sure you're plugged in somewhere or add another battery!! )
What exactly do you have now (radio & at least speaker sizes) & how much of a budget do you have & what would you like to see most improved that has you unhappy now?
I have stock everything right now. Don't know what brand (if any) the speakers are. I believe they are 4" surface mount. The head unit a brand I don't remember. Its not a Jensen. My trailer is at the shop so I can't go out back to look up that information. I basically just want to have a nice, clear sounding system with a little more ooomph to it. Not trying to anger any neighbors, but I would like to jam some 80's rock every now and then.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #6

leave the radio alone and buy quality speakers. Doesn't matter how much radio you have, your still playing through $5 worth of speakers.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #7

The piece of junk that came with mine just died and I'm thinking of replacing it with a Harman Kardon AVR 1510. Of course, I'll need speakers, too. I'm not sure what I'll get.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
Are we there yet.......

Quote:
I upgraded my speakers along with put in a 200 watt amp with outdoor 8" sub
Pbalmer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
Are we there yet.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbalmer65 View Post

I upgraded my speakers along with put in a 200 watt amp with outdoor 8" sub
O dyna mat works great too. Keep the sound from rattling the walls when outside speakers are up.
Pbalmer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Thats the way I was leaning too. Figured it would be the quickest and easiest as well.

BTW, did I read that you were looking at a new 5er? Want a new rig just 'cause or are you having problems with yours?
Negative, love our rig. Got it all sorted now. Heading for Florida on Friday.

On ours both the head unit and all speakers are Jenson brand. Take a few pictures of yours, it might help pick something.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 03-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #11

here is a link to the Jensen model that is in my trailer, might be different as yours is newer:
JENSEN AM/FM/CD/DVD/MP3/USB Wallmount Stereo

the listed power is 6 watts...that's pretty sad.

The indoor speakers are these:
JENSEN Surface-Mount Theater Speaker

They are rated at 20 watt max with 84 db sensitivity...again, pretty sad.

the outdoor speakers are not listed on their website anymore.
The next unit up from mine is here:JENSEN AM/FM/CD/DVD/USB/WB/iPOD Ready Wallmount Stereo with HDMI Video Output

It lists 22.5x4 output, but is 6 channel, so not real sure how that works.

The problem with these units is the footprint. They are a hybrid between a 12v car stereo and DVD entertainment system. You don't that much power draw if you boondock, or just like to listen to music while you work on the trailer in your driveway. However you want nice sound. Those two things are somewhat exclusive of each other.

As for speakers, something like this surface mount speaker would work with our trailers, though it is pretty large.
Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-X150 Surface Mount 3-Way Speakers: Car Electronics

The problem is where to try and cut in 5.5 or 6.5 inch speakers. You would lose the over couch cabinet storage, but might be worth it.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
here is a link to the Jensen model that is in my trailer, might be different as yours is newer:
JENSEN AM/FM/CD/DVD/MP3/USB Wallmount Stereo

the listed power is 6 watts...that's pretty sad.

The indoor speakers are these:
JENSEN Surface-Mount Theater Speaker

They are rated at 20 watt max with 84 db sensitivity...again, pretty sad.

the outdoor speakers are not listed on their website anymore.
The next unit up from mine is here:JENSEN AM/FM/CD/DVD/USB/WB/iPOD Ready Wallmount Stereo with HDMI Video Output

It lists 22.5x4 output, but is 6 channel, so not real sure how that works.

The problem with these units is the footprint. They are a hybrid between a 12v car stereo and DVD entertainment system. You don't that much power draw if you boondock, or just like to listen to music while you work on the trailer in your driveway. However you want nice sound. Those two things are somewhat exclusive of each other.

As for speakers, something like this surface mount speaker would work with our trailers, though it is pretty large.
Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-X150 Surface Mount 3-Way Speakers: Car Electronics

The problem is where to try and cut in 5.5 or 6.5 inch speakers. You would lose the over couch cabinet storage, but might be worth it.
The head unit in definitely not a Jensen. Mine is something else that I've never heard of. The speakers look just like yours....not sure if they are Jensen but look just like that.

I looked at those Pioneer speakers as well and had the same thoughts as you regarding the cutting and loss of space....That is why I am leaning toward a Bazooka or something similar first to see how it sounds and go from there. I may just use my Bose SoundLink instead and forget about it.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #13

I have a Magnadyne AV5090 head unit

Old 03-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
The piece of junk that came with mine just died and I'm thinking of replacing it with a Harman Kardon AVR 1510. Of course, I'll need speakers, too. I'm not sure what I'll get.
Joe...that is an excellent choice in receivers...but note that you can draw up to 34 AMPS of current when playing...vs. the 4-6 of most car stereo systems so take that into consideration if you boondock!
Old 03-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #15

@Tom...the Magnadyne ain't so bad... and you certainly won't get a sound improvment by replacing it. Your speakers I think are not even 4" if they are like the Jensens and there is your real problem.
Your Magnadyne is capable of driving 3 PAIR of speakers...do you have 3 pair now? Don't believe any of the wattage claims you may see...they are all bogus... you probably have around 8 watts going to each speaker...max.
Speakers that size have NO usable output below about 150 HZ so you are missing several octaves in the bass range and at least an octave in the high treble as well so it is no wonder you are unhappy.
Assuming that you want to avoid cutting any holes...I would suggest getting a decent pair of efficient small bookshelf speakers for your MAIN listening position and wire them to speaker A position on the radio...you can choose B or C speakers for the other 2 pair you may have left but be aware that the speaker C position has much lower wattage so should be used with the speakers you don't often want to play loudly. What I'm thinking of is something like the Polk Atrium 4's

These run about $140 bucks a pair on Amazon...

As to subwoofers...you may find you need one less after installing a decent bookshelf sized speaker...but the radio has a set of AV output jacks and you can use those to send audio (unamplified) to any subwoofer you choose with a set of RCA cables to the red & white jacks. You might wanna consider a compact HOME subwoofer to plug into a wall socket or small inverter. Like this Yamaha YST-FSW050BL2.

super deal for $115 on amazon right now.

This would give you less wiring to do and also give you easier on/off access. Alternatively in the hookup...you can come off your headphone jack with an extension cable terminating in a couple of RCA plugs...and unplug when you aren't using it...but that would be a bit messier.
Hope this helps a bit.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #16

my reply disappeared on me, but camaraderie hit it on the head. that Magandyne looks to be on par with the upper model Jenson, so nothing wrong with it.

I like the idea of some decent bookshelf style speakers. Hopefully they would not be too obtrusive.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
@Tom...the Magnadyne ain't so bad... and you certainly won't get a sound improvment by replacing it. Your speakers I think are not even 4" if they are like the Jensens and there is your real problem.
Your Magnadyne is capable of driving 3 PAIR of speakers...do you have 3 pair now? Don't believe any of the wattage claims you may see...they are all bogus... you probably have around 8 watts going to each speaker...max.
Speakers that size have NO usable output below about 150 HZ so you are missing several octaves in the bass range and at least an octave in the high treble as well so it is no wonder you are unhappy.
Assuming that you want to avoid cutting any holes...I would suggest getting a decent pair of efficient small bookshelf speakers for your MAIN listening position and wire them to speaker A position on the radio...you can choose B or C speakers for the other 2 pair you may have left but be aware that the speaker C position has much lower wattage so should be used with the speakers you don't often want to play loudly. What I'm thinking of is something like the Polk Atrium 4's

These run about $140 bucks a pair on Amazon...

As to subwoofers...you may find you need one less after installing a decent bookshelf sized speaker...but the radio has a set of AV output jacks and you can use those to send audio (unamplified) to any subwoofer you choose with a set of RCA cables to the red & white jacks. You might wanna consider a compact HOME subwoofer to plug into a wall socket or small inverter. Like this Yamaha YST-FSW050BL2.

super deal for $115 on amazon right now.

This would give you less wiring to do and also give you easier on/off access. Alternatively in the hookup...you can come off your headphone jack with an extension cable terminating in a couple of RCA plugs...and unplug when you aren't using it...but that would be a bit messier.
Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks for the insight!

Exactly the type of helpful information I was hoping for. I'll be ordering some of those speakers tonight.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #18

My modification to our 2011 Flagstaff 8528RKS Fithwheel. My wife was horrified when she saw me heading out with a sawall and some other tools in hand. It was time to upgrade the sound system. The zx700 was and still is a good unit but I was looking for more and better fidelity. So destruction the reconstruction was started. This is the finished product.

Before:

After:

Base was tight but a little plumbing and it slid in.

I started with the ZX700. I relocated the ZX700 to the right of where it was as well as the Satellite receiver. I then rebuilt the cherry shelf's to accommodate the new electronics. This is what equipment was added:
Onkyo TXDS474 Receiver
Cambridge Soundworks M50 Main Speakers
Cambridge Soundworks Base Cube 8
Cambridge Soundworks MC300 Center Speaker
Polk RC6s rear Surround Sound Speakers
Philips DVP3040 DVD player
OSD Audio SSVC4 Speaker Control

With the OSD Speaker control I was able to have 2 inputs selection (zx700 or the Onkyo receiver) to the speakers. The control is great as it has impedance matching and volume control for the main speakers, bedroom speakers and the outside speakers. This was a large improvement to the stock system. It was a challenge to find component to match the quality I was seeking and the space constraints they would be installed in. I have enjoyed Cambridge Sound Systems at home so thought I should try to keep what I was familiar with in the camper. All of the components were purchased from Craigslist used with the exception of the OSD Audion Control. I could not find a used one and was forced to pay full price(I hate that!) I have also purchased a pair of outside speakers that I will replace once it gets a little warmer outside. To cap off the system I have purchased a Logitech Harmony 650 remote. This is the remote we use in our house and I find it a very easy remote to operate and it worked with all the equipment including the ZX700. The outside speakers have a few mounting challenges. I used a cutting board cut in half to cover the existing holes on the outside.

With them aimed down we get great sound and it does not travel far from the camper.
We really love the sound that this system produces.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #19

Very nice setup. Probably more than I am comfortable doing myself. How did you attach the cutting boards?

Old 03-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #20

I used 1/4 20 stainless bolts. The ended up inside overhead cabinets on the inside. Sealed it up with white caulk. One note for you, I can run the Z700 with the new speakers. There is a big positive difference in the sound quality. There is a definite lack of power but the sound is much better. With the Onkyo on much better base responce.

Tags
upgrade