Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 09:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Check that your winterization valve is fully closed. You may be sucking air through it.

We’re back home for the week now so I’ll have to check next weekend when we go out but it was set to “water use”.....maybe slightly cracked open but, from what I remember it was all the way to the left
Gsxrgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:08 AM   #22

Did you make sure there is water in the fresh water tank yourself? You said FIL filled it, maybe there is no water in it?
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:02 AM   #23

Sudden Water Pump Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Did you make sure there is water in the fresh water tank yourself? You said FIL filled it, maybe there is no water in it?

Just by the panel....when I left I was at just over 1/4 full but noticed it was reading completely full when I returned. He decided to fill it as we were getting another load of water dumped into our cistern at our lake lot where we keep the trailer.

I will hopefully be able to talk to him later today as they have been out of town to see if he had any issues when filling it but I can’t really see how simply filling the tank could cause problems....
Old 06-05-2018, 08:35 PM   #24

Air in the system

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been up in the Utah mountains with no internet signal.

It's air in the system. I get this exact problem every time I travel with too little water in the tank. In your case, since you were stationary, your tank was probably empty before he refilled it.

Run every faucet, and the toilet, until the air clears out of the pipes.

2018 Coachmen Viking 21RD
2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Full-timing since October 2017
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:59 AM   #25

Sounds to me like the valves are nothing the right positions or something... is the "water use" position for a city water connection or for using the fresh tank / pump? I would also check the winterization line valve... that is a direct feed to the pump suction side... would cause air for certain.

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:57 AM   #26

Sudden Water Pump Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaylor View Post
Sorry for the late reply, but I've been up in the Utah mountains with no internet signal.

It's air in the system. I get this exact problem every time I travel with too little water in the tank. In your case, since you were stationary, your tank was probably empty before he refilled it.

Run every faucet, and the toilet, until the air clears out of the pipes.

Thanks for the reply, that’s what I originally thought too but I’ve literally run gallons of water through to try and clear the lines. Also, when he filled the tank it was still about 1/4 full. He only filled it as we were getting another load of water dumped into our cistern.

It seems like I get it (or most of it out) then it returns. Once the pump kicks in, it will eventually clear and run like it’s supposed to however, when I turn the taps back off and come back 10 min later, it’s the same thing all over...pump won’t kick in, super low trickle and air sputtering out. I would assume that once the air is out it should be out right?
Old 06-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthorn View Post
Sounds to me like the valves are nothing the right positions or something... is the "water use" position for a city water connection or for using the fresh tank / pump? I would also check the winterization line valve... that is a direct feed to the pump suction side... would cause air for certain.

It’s currently set to system use for the fresh tank/pump. While I’ve not checked to see if the winterization valve is COMPLETELY to the water use side, it looks like it is. Also, it was working fine mid May then started to act up after the FIL filled the tank. WhenI spoke with him he said he only turned the two knobs from tank fill back to system use.

Unfortunately, I’ve been stuck at home working as I am now on weekends so I won’t be able to get out there for a bit to check and see if the knobs are 100% seated.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:13 AM   #28

Sounds like the same thing my pump was doing, it was the check valve in the pump allowing water to flow back into tank so it had to prime every time. I ended up getting a new.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #29
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Most water pumps have a built-in check valve, but if it goes bad you don't need to replace the pump!

If this does go bad, your fresh water tank will fill by itself if hooked up to city water and will run out of the overflow vents under the trailer.

Mine went bad a couple of months back and I bought this and also replaced the screen thingy (see photos below).

Pretty easy project...took longer to move stuff out of the way than it did to replace these two items!

The screen thingy was full of little pieces of plastic from the factory, so I cleaned it out and kept is as a back-up.

You can get these two items at any Camping World or RV parts store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterpumpCheckValve-P4161994.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	174788   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterpumpCheckValve-P4161997.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	174789   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterpumpCheckValve-P4161998.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	174790   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterpumpCheckValve-P4161999.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	174791  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #30

"Screen thingy" is a technical term.

It's actually called a strainer. (Says so right on the package.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:19 AM   #31

Mine was under warranty so didn't cost me anything but time.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #32
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli64 View Post
And gas money...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli64 View Post

Unfortunately, mine is JUST off warranty
Old 06-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #34

Thanks for all the help so far....I went out yesterday to see if one of the valves were not completely in the right position however they all were. Just in case, I moved them from “system fill” back to “system use” I also bypassed the hot tank and switched back. Both times I heard water “gurgling” as I switched them.

Once this was complete, unfortunately I basically had the same results....lots of air in the lines however the pump did come in for the most part with the exception of once. It sounded like it was running but was completely dry for about a minute then picked up water and eventually shut off. I am assuming, unless anyone else has any ideas, that my pump is hooped
Old 06-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
Thanks for all the help so far....I went out yesterday to see if one of the valves were not completely in the right position however they all were. Just in case, I moved them from “system fill” back to “system use” I also bypassed the hot tank and switched back. Both times I heard water “gurgling” as I switched them.

Once this was complete, unfortunately I basically had the same results....lots of air in the lines however the pump did come in for the most part with the exception of once. It sounded like it was running but was completely dry for about a minute then picked up water and eventually shut off. I am assuming, unless anyone else has any ideas, that my pump is hooped

I do not think so. There may be some type of break in the piping/connections from the Fresh water tank to the water pump that is allowing air in. I would think that the connections around the top of the water tank are cracked....

Do you have a very short water hose that you can put in a bucket of water and attach that to your water pump to see if it picks up the water?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I do not think so. There may be some type of break in the piping/connections from the Fresh water tank to the water pump that is allowing air in. I would think that the connections around the top of the water tank are cracked....

Do you have a very short water hose that you can put in a bucket of water and attach that to your water pump to see if it picks up the water?

Thanks for the reply, the really strange thing is that it was working fine when we parked it at our lake lot the first weekend. Then, after filling it again with water, these issues suddenly started but the trailer had not moved. I will try the bucket idea but I am having issues accessing the pump due to its location.

It seems like the pump will pick up water it just not maintain any type of pressure and I can’t seem to get the air out no matter what I do
Old 06-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
Thanks for the reply, the really strange thing is that it was working fine when we parked it at our lake lot the first weekend. Then, after filling it again with water, these issues suddenly started but the trailer had not moved. I will try the bucket idea but I am having issues accessing the pump due to its location.

It seems like the pump will pick up water it just not maintain any type of pressure and I can’t seem to get the air out no matter what I do
Going back and reading the whole thread again.... My thoughts now are to get the pump out and look it over. The 'humming', sounds like it has 'back pressure' (so to speak) and stopping the pump from turning over. When it does get going, is seems to has 'air' in it..... (from what I am reading).... The issue to me now would center around the pump to see if it is clogged up with something. you may very well have had 'something' in your freshwater tank that the pump pulled up into it and clogging up the out flow and also keep the check valve open and the water back drains.... (just speaking to myself) pull the pump and look it over and see if you can get it to work correctly out side of you unit.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #38

For what it is worth we purchased a 2018 336TSIK which probably has a similar water set up. We have found that the air needs to be purged after tank fill. The dealer advised us once full to adjust the valves and turn the pump back on and burp/purge the air via the hot water relief valve. Without this our pump hammers like a jack hammer. Hope you find your solution.
Savagefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Going back and reading the whole thread again.... My thoughts now are to get the pump out and look it over. The 'humming', sounds like it has 'back pressure' (so to speak) and stopping the pump from turning over. When it does get going, is seems to has 'air' in it..... (from what I am reading).... The issue to me now would center around the pump to see if it is clogged up with something. you may very well have had 'something' in your freshwater tank that the pump pulled up into it and clogging up the out flow and also keep the check valve open and the water back drains.... (just speaking to myself) pull the pump and look it over and see if you can get it to work correctly out side of you unit.

Thanks for all the help AND to dedicating the time to re-read everything!!!!

I am hopefully heading back out in a few days and will try to crawl into the space to access the pump. I hope you are right and that there is just something inside it but why would there be so much air in the system?
Old 06-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagefisher View Post
For what it is worth we purchased a 2018 336TSIK which probably has a similar water set up. We have found that the air needs to be purged after tank fill. The dealer advised us once full to adjust the valves and turn the pump back on and burp/purge the air via the hot water relief valve. Without this our pump hammers like a jack hammer. Hope you find your solution.

Thanks, I’ve likely flushed an ENTIRE tank through trying to get the air out. I’ve tried every tap and relief valve I can find. I’ve also tried everything open at the same time. For whatever reason it just creeps back into the system

Tags
pump, water, water pump