Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2021, 10:01 PM   #1

Sulfer water odor

I am curious if anyone else has experienced a sulfer smell while running their water.
I have run city water through our camper pipes as well as water from our fresh water tank. Even our hot water. It has a strong odor.
I have an in-line water filter but don’t have it currently connected. Not thinking that is the problem.
I have never experienced this in our RV before.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
tkemnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:30 PM   #2

We had an issue with a sulfur smell in our hot water. Turns out it was caused by a bacteria that fed on the magnesium anode rod in the water heater. It was not harmful, just created the smell.
I removed the anode, flushed the system with bleach and installed an aluminum anode instead of the magnesium one. Smell went away.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:36 PM   #3

smell

i pull my anode rod frequently, scrape clean and reinstall right before next trip.it will deteroriate just sitting in tank with no water in it.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkemnitzer View Post
I am curious if anyone else has experienced a sulfer smell while running their water.
I have run city water through our camper pipes as well as water from our fresh water tank. Even our hot water. It has a strong odor.
I have an in-line water filter but don’t have it currently connected. Not thinking that is the problem.
I have never experienced this in our RV before.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have an aluminum hot water tank and it was recommended to just use a plastic plug not an anode rod. Maybe I should flush my hot water tank again? Thanks!
Old 09-22-2021, 06:30 AM   #5
Site Team

Many times the odor is caused by bacteria found in water, especially well water in campgrounds. The bacteria is most active in low oxygen, low flow situations (aka sitting in unused water heater or plumbing) and produces sulfur dioxide. If you use well water that has high nitrate levels draining WH and lines after the trip will help reduce this.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #6

Thanks to Tex50.
It is hydrogen sulfide caused by bacteria.
It is common in residential hot water systems.
I never drink out of my RV tank. I bring a container for drinking water.
Household bleach is the cure.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:19 PM   #7

I emptied my hot water tank, flushed it, added a couple ounces of bleach. I let it sit for an hour or so and refilled the tank and our surfer is now gone.!
Thanks for the help!

Tags
water