Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I am always open to learning and listening to others’ opinions. Thank you for the references.

I guess I shouldn’t always speak so generally/globally when my experience and knowledge is based on “everywhere” being only everywhere that I know of or have experience with, like in this case.

However, my real-world experiences regarding the problems associated with using galvanized pipe and fittings for gas installations cannot be refuted. I’m not just making this stuff up.

It is good that you took the time to post what you did, and I really do appreciate it. I’m sure everybody else appreciates it, as well.

Bruce

don't feel bad. I get my head bitten off often for my "Real World" experiences.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #22

Gas Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
don't feel bad. I get my head bitten off often for my "Real World" experiences.
Has anyone suggested flexible yellow PEX rated for Gas lines?
Just sying
Bytesponge
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:00 PM   #23

When they installed the gas fireplace in my house, they used flexible hose like this, only about 30 feet long:

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Stai...=fsclp_pl_dp_1

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
guess they did this different back in '02
Maybe it is because of where it was built mine was built in Oregon.

My other trailer had Black also and a Scotty I tore apart had black also.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
So code-wise specifically on RVs there doesn't seem to be anything that prevents it's use. RV manufacturers don't use it though and there must be a reason.

If you buy galvanized pipe in a retail store or elsewhere, I have never seen it labelled with the standard it is required to meet (like say PVC pipe or conduit).

At least in my area, a 10' section of 1/2" pipe in galvanized and black have a price differential of ~$2 at Menard's with black being the lower cost. Expect that even in commercial quantities, a significant price differential exists.

The Menard's I checked specifies both pipes to be schedule 40, which I think, covers the code requirement.
I may be wrong, as noticed by my last employer - they issued me pencils with erasers on both ends.
One advantage of the galvanized, it won't rust as quickly. I have seen posts on other sites suggesting that black pipe be painted or coated with rust resistant coatings.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
At least in my area, a 10' section of 1/2" pipe in galvanized and black have a price differential of ~$2 at Menard's with black being the lower cost. Expect that even in commercial quantities, a significant price differential exists.
Well there you go, the RV manufacturers save at least $2-$4 per unit! At the current rate of 400,000+ RVs sold annually, that's a BIG savings to the industry. Makes perfect sense, lol...
Old 04-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #27

Back in the 1960's, GM was considering not installing engine oil drain plugs. You'd suck the oil out instead of draining it. It would save them 5 cents/vehicle.

Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:27 AM   #28

Quick connect

Gas flows on inside, so makes no difference if it's under ground or not. You'll be sorry. Good luck
831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey772 View Post
Bruce is your experience on home NG or propane. I only ask because they are 2 different gasses. NFPA 58 states that galvanized pipe can be used. I appreciate the time you took to respond to my post. I love soaking up all the knowledge here
Over the years, my experience is with both — I did much more propane work in my earlier years, but that was when all I did was new construction where a lot of the work was in rural, not-yet-developed areas without natural gas infrastructures. I did very little service work back then. The last half of my life/career has been in the plumbing & gas service field in areas that have had natural gas since and after the 1960s. So, my opinions and personal experiences are pretty much based completely on systems using natural gas

When I received my Master Plumber and Master Gasfitter licenses in 1992, there were only two types of materials for use with propane and natural gas listed in my BOCA mechanical code book; black steel and copper. Life (and gas system sizing) was much more simple then. There are so many different types and brands of materials now, resulting in such a wide variety of ways a system can be installed, it is mind-boggling. Today it is impossible for me to carry all of the gas pipe materials (along with plumbing materials) I might need for a minor system modification on one truck. This problem has caused many small plumbing companies around me to either farm-out their gas work to companies that specialize in gas work, or set up crews that do only gas work. I prefer to give my gas work to companies that do only gas so I don’t run the risk of losing one of my plumbing customers to a larger company that does both plumbing and gas.

I don’t do any gas system installation work anymore, but I do make a lot of repairs on systems installed by others.

Bruce
Old 04-25-2019, 06:34 PM   #30

Another point no one has raised? The routing between the leaf spring shackles, is not a good idea. If something should happen with the shackles or the leaf spring that line will be pinched between the frame and the axle? just saying This a potential dangerous situation? Would of ran it along side the frame, not on the bottom of it, to keep it protected?
Old 04-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #31

You can order long lengths of tubing online in the right size.

Seems common
Hot Max 24201 Extension/Appliance Hose for Propane or Natural Gas, 25 Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D86I6OA..._WELWCbV9S13D5
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:53 PM   #32

Copper tubing or High Pressure Propane Rubber Tubing for PROPANE all day long. Black pipe for NATURAL GAS. Any Propane dealer or individual that tells you otherwise is not educated in the business.
If you use Copper for Natural Gas the small gas molecules will permeate the copper causing metal fatigue and failure.
Gene_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:00 PM   #33

Flexible gas line

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
When they installed the gas fireplace in my house, they used flexible hose like this, only about 30 feet long:

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Stai...=fsclp_pl_dp_1
I have similar line on my BBQ that sits on my deck. Black pipe to the shut off valve then very flexible Line to BBQ.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:22 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene_M View Post
Copper tubing or High Pressure Propane Rubber Tubing for PROPANE all day long. Black pipe for NATURAL GAS. Any Propane dealer or individual that tells you otherwise is not educated in the business.
If you use Copper for Natural Gas the small gas molecules will permeate the copper causing metal fatigue and failure.
False: https://www.copper.org/applications/...ial_Copper.pdf
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:28 AM   #35

Make the hose to your bbq with its regulator in line, that will bring it down to low pressure.
Medunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:38 AM   #36

Galvanized pipe

I retired from a large natural gas company three years ago after 35+ years of service. When I started there in 1980 we used black pipe. Many years later we switched to all galvanized pipe and fittings. It is used both inside and outside. I’m not sure if the same rules apply to propane but it it used with natural gas.
BirdeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:45 AM   #37

First I've looked at the pics. YEP ! should've been "BLACK" pipe rated for gas. Galvanized is not rated for gas.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #38

My 2018 Cherokee Patriot is "BLACK" pipe and fittings from the Bulkhead fitting on the front of the frame to the Tee fittings where it branches off to the appliances. I moved my main line from the center of the frame to the right hand side to make room for spare tire carrier. Used all "BLACK" pipe and fittings to change the run as that is what is used from the factory.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene_M View Post
Unless the copper is lined with tin . Apparently this is common in some parts.
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #40

So if you read post#34 galvanized pipe is rated for natural gas. And according to some posts black pipe is not rated for propane so why is it ok to put black pipe for propane on the motorhome? I’m confused!
BirdeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote