Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 12:52 PM   #1

Thoughts/Input welcome

I share this not to disparage, but seek help. The fact is, just that, it may be “it is what it is”.
In March 2017, my wife and I purchased a new, 2017 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 5th wheel. We traded in a 2004 Wilderness 24’ BH bought used in 2010. We had 7 fabulous, seamless camping seasons. We live in PA and went as far west as Yellowstone.
The Chaparral started to “unravel” about a month in. I won’t bore you with every detail but attempt to give you the short of it. As of today, it is in the shop (dealer) since November 1. Expect it to be there until mid February at the earliest. It was in for 22 days in June 2017 and 12 days in May. So, almost 1/2 a year all tolled. There are currently 53 items up for diagnosis in varying degrees. About 18 more from the May/June visit.
My question, and I’m not sure if an opinion is permitted to be given on here without my post being taken down. I have tried with 4 “Lemon Law” lawyers (search engine indicated they would handle RV Lemon Law). None of them are willing to take it on. CEO at Coachmen and warranty manager only say “let the dealer fix everything”. And are sternly opinionated in how they convey that message.
Am I in an “is what it is” position where I am basically getting a repaired unit back that I will have paid for to sit in the shop for 6 months and have to accept it for what it is because there is no one out there to help me. Yes, it being repaired is “help” but seriously, 6 months in the shop and over 50 things wrong doesn’t count for anything?
DesAl1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
Always Learning

I’d likely consider pulling the unit from the dealer and taking it to a different service center or even start having mobile RV techs come to you. I like service centers because that is what their business is; not to sell- just to fix and their reputation rides on the line.

Since you have open communication with Coachmen, I’d find out the pre-approval and reimbursement process and go from there.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It's hard for any of us to comment honestly since we don't know the whole story.

Just because it is at the dealer from November to February doesn't count as continuous time , unless they are working on it everyday, which I doubt.

Also, we've owned in the neighborhood of 20 units over the years. Never had a single one that had 50+ items wrong all at the same time. We had one unit almost 15 years and I don't believe 50 things went awry the entire time.

I'm not discounting or criticizing your comments. I'm just saying there is too much we don't know, to be able to make honest comments about what we do know.

Best of luck.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #4

I would personally take it up to Coachmen factory and demand they make the repairs to your satisfaction....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:35 PM   #5

X2 on a different shop, mobile repair or factory.

Typically 90% of the time in the the shop is waiting for parts. Are the issues preventing your use while parts are on order?
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:32 PM   #6

Its all hearsay on the issues because you said 50+. Thats a lot

Lemon law is a complicated thing..

We would need to know the issues before commenting.. Because possibly none of the issues are major, or maybe they are... who knows..

My TT certainly I thought was the worst as new trailers go...

Trap unhooked from factory and a flooded bathroom before we even went camping.

Short in main wire from batt to converter. Made my first florida trip somewhat of a nightmare.

Missing caulk on roof screw heads

Piece of wood stuck in underbelly

Missing duct ( IMO) and furnace overheat issue.. They only had 3 ducts for a 30 k btu furnace.. 29 ft.

wheel bearings completely loose. All 4.. And minimal grease in bearings

I did all repairs myself.

They sent me a $400 backup camera and reimbursed me for material I had to use.. Like throwing me a bone.. Gave me a $200 store credit too.

The dealer is 4 hours away is why I do the work myself..

I have a direct e mail with coachman east coast service manager for Catalina...
2020 Ram 1500 classic 5.7l hemi 3:21 rear 8 speed
2019 Palimino XLE 24 RD
Lawrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #7

Follow up

Why does what is precisely wrong matter whether it is spelled out here, or whether or not they are "major"? The fact that the dealer service writer acknowledged 53 items is peanuts to everyone but me?
Yes, they are for the most part minor problems - 25/30 of them. Several water leak issues.Some mechanical, many just plain CRAP workmanship.
Truly find it hard to believe that you would pay $$$ for a new unit and then fix things yourself. But this seems to be a very, very very common approach from everyone here. I for one can't believe, or understand.
Perhaps this is the reason that the manufacturers make JUNK, take our money and keep smiling. Something I regrettably, and honestly didn't give thought to a year ago or I never would have bought.
Our first season out last year stunk. Brand new unit and nothing but problems.
How far do you think I would get if I stopped paying on the loan - they haul me away. But here I am, getting a refurbished unit back and everyone says , sorry, deal with it.
As I titled the thread originally - Perhaps It Is What It Is - obviously.
DesAl1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #8

Hang in There

As frustrating as it is, you must "hang though" with your dealer. Your warranty expires in two months. There is a big difference between your extended warranty (assuming you bought one) and the factory warranty in terms of what may be covered. If your factory warranty expires before all items are fixed get it in writing from the dealer that it will get repaired under your factory coverage after it expires. This may allow you to use your trailer this spring knowing you can take it back after your coverage ends. My dealer opened some tickets as my coverage expired then we brought the trailer back a month later for repairs. Just some thoughts. Good luck.
mchat1 is offline   Reply With Quote