Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2019, 10:38 PM   #1

Thoughts on SAL Extended Warranty for new Freedom Express 192RBS?

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've posted on this site, as I've been out of the RV scene for a couple of years.
We're back!!! Just bought a 2020 Freedom Express 192RBS, and can't wait for Spring 2020, to try this new rig.

The dealer here in Ontario Canada, has offered us a 7 year extended warranty for $2K. As with most, year 1 runs concurrent with manufacturer warranty, so it's really an additional 6 years.
I can use at any RV dealer in Canada or the US, and the deductible is $100 (reduced to $50 if repairs are performed at original dealer). As well, it is transferable if we ever decide to sell/upgrade in that time-frame (could help with sale, if we ever decide to do that).

I've read through the details and it covers all the key components in the systems that I'd be worried about (appliances, A/C, heating, water heater, slide-out, awning, suspension system, brakes, AV system, waste & fresh water systems, etc.)

ANYHOW...getting to the point... ;-), have any of my fellow canucks purchased the SAL Protection Plan for their coachmen RV/TT? (the quote I mentioned above is for their 'Superior' option), and if yes, have they used it?

I'm on the fence with this one. I tend to agree with many that say it's best to simply set the money aside, and use it if needed. On the other hand, having an additional 6 years (post year 1 manufacturer warranty) peace-of-mind, for $2K (or ~$330/year) seems somewhat reasonable.

My gut tells me I won't need it (as I've bought appliance warranties for the home, and never used them), but with my luck, I'll be spending more on replacing A/C, furnace, slide motors, fridge, etc., on years 2-7.

Decisions, decisions....

Cheers everyone!

Jax Wylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
Broken Toe

My opinion. Take that $2k, put it in a bank earning a little interest, and use it to pay for any repairs that come along.

Most extended warranties seem to have big hoops you have to jump thru in order for them to remain in effect. My dealer offered me a 'free' lifetime warranty. Only catch was I had to bring it in (on my cost) twice a year for "inspections", and I would have been required to fix (at my cost) any bull-crap deficiencies they listed like fridge or heater duct work needs cleaned or marker lights need rotating.

In 7 years of FR ownership, I probably have spent a total of maybe $300 fixing things (and that's being generous). Don't look at extended warranties as "health insurance" for you camper. They are not that. They are add-on costs that very, very few people ever recoup.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:37 PM   #3

Thanks CowRacer. I'm leaning in that direction. Luckily I don't have to make the decision just yet, and can take a little more time to do some more research and decide what to do.

This extended warranty, or 'Service Contract' as they should all be called, does not cover structure of the RV (like all other extended warranties).

If my RV was a motorized coach, I would probably be leaning more towards getting the warranty (although I can guarantee it would cost more than $2K...LOL).
Given the size of this RV (22'), single slide, and relatively low number of complex components, I think you're right. Set aside the $'s, and what I don't use for repairs will be used towards next RV/upgrades.

Thanks again.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:39 PM   #4

All the minor things on my Coachmen 233RBS, I have fixed myself. Personally, extended warranties are a waste of money. They offer them for a reason...they make money off of them.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #5

Hey, I am with Cowracer, save your money.
DJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #6

Be advised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Wylde View Post
The dealer here in Ontario Canada, has offered us a 7 year extended warranty for $2K. As with most, year 1 runs concurrent with manufacturer warranty, so it's really an additional 6 years.
Be advised that even though the manufacturer warranties the trailer body and assembly for only one year, each of the components is covered by it's suppliers and those warranties are usually for at least two years. These include:
Frame: Lippert
Axles: Lippert or Dexter
Refrigerator: Various
Air Conditioner: Various
Range: Various
Wheels, tires.

Posts here have even demonstrated that some of the suppliers will repair or replace failed items even if they are past the warranty period if there was clearly a defect in design or manufacture. I'm thinking specifically about the frame repairs I have read about.

All of this is to demonstrate that there is less need for the extended warranty than you have considered, because of the component warranties.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:38 PM   #7

extended warranty

I live in Northwestern Ontario & Alberta, we have a 2019 FE 204 RD & bought a extended warranty for it. Once I received the paper work & read the entire contract for it I found a few clauses that could easily prevent you getting coverage. The main one in bold letters is any DIY maintenance or repair of the RV is not permitted & it will result in denial of coverage, plus you have to prove the maintenance records. Mine also states that any RV in Canada must be held to the most rigorous maintenance schedule. As a lot of RV owners we like to upgrade, add things, tweek, maintain & winterize ourselves so we know its done right for what we need. I will never purchase another Extended Warranty, put the money in a GIC & leave it for a breakdown. Keep in mind I find that 95% of the problems that come up are simple to fix & with this great Forum there is lots of advice available
Skipper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #8

Swiss Cheese policy. Just additional dealer profit, and companies have a way of going out of business.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:32 AM   #9

Good point Larry-NC.

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2019, 01:36 AM   #10

Thanks Skipper1. I'll admit I hadn't considered what might happen if I decided to do some 'upgrades'. For example, one of the first things I'm going to do if change the puny vent fan in the bathroom and replace with a MaxAir fan. I doubt that would cause issue with the warranty, but you never know.
Cheers.

Old 11-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #11

Most service policies are worthless. Why the deductible on a small repair like adjusting a door hinge. Is the deductible charged on each item if you wait to take it in for several repairs. Who decides if a major component failure is a factory defect or did it fail because of your improper usage or maintenance. They hold all the cards and might leave you holding the bag. I would never consider buying until after the 1 year manufacturer warranty. If it's ok after a year chances are it will continue to be reliable. My .02
Poison Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Wylde View Post
Thanks Skipper1. I'll admit I hadn't considered what might happen if I decided to do some 'upgrades'. For example, one of the first things I'm going to do if change the puny vent fan in the bathroom and replace with a MaxAir fan. I doubt that would cause issue with the warranty, but you never know.
Cheers.

Hi there! Late reply, and I'm sort of hijacking the thread - my hubby and I also have a 192RBS. We bought it 3 years ago and absolutely love it. We have done several upgrades, and one of the ones we did last year, was install a MaxAir fan. We did this, not in the bathroom, but in the vent above the bed. Hubby was successfully able to run wiring to that location through the ceiling. I believe he tied in through the closest ceiling light (I'm obviously not the handy/technical one here). Anyway - having that fan in the main area of the trailer works wonderfully well. It's awesome for sleeping and gets the trailer nice and cool. Just some food for thought as you make changes to your trailer. FYI, we are in Ontario as well. Enjoy your trailer!
nadjam123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
192rbs, extended warranty, freedom express, sal protection plan, warranty