Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
FLY4FUN

TOiLET SUPPLY LINE SIZE (OD)-'14 22QBS?

I'm about to order an inline cut-off valve for the toilet supply on my '14 Apex 22QBS. I'm "thinking" that the OD of the line is 3/4", but could be 1/2"(?). In any event, the trailer is covered/stored for the season & inconvenient to access to measure/confirm size. So...just wondering if anyone might advise/confirm the size of the supply line to the toilet? Thanks!
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #2
Site Team

They almost exclusively use 1/2" PEX in our RVs so it's highly likely going to be 5/8" OD.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #3
FLY4FUN

Supply Line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
They almost exclusively use 1/2" PEX in our RVs so it's highly likely going to be 5/8" OD.
Thanks. I recall that there's at least some PEX, but a mix of white plastic that doesn't appear to be PEX. It may well be...again, I'm "remembering" right now . The Watts valves come in 3/4", 1/2", 3/8" & 1" sizes & I'm assuming that's OD(?). I can order online cheaper than picking up @ Lowes/HD, of course, so just trying to get ahead of the spring "get ready/fix ups".
Old 01-22-2020, 12:03 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
X2. That's the norm but you never know as I've seen a few that were braided lines.

If you are sure it's PEX, then take Bama's advice.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14apex View Post
I can order online cheaper than picking up @ Lowes/HD, of course, so just trying to get ahead of the spring "get ready/fix ups".
May be cheaper online but if you guess wrong it may be a bigger overall hassle. For the small cost difference getting it local may be the most expedient and whatever you save by buying online may be offset by more hassle due to reordering, returning, delays, etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #6
FLY4FUN

"Frugality" ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
May be cheaper online but if you guess wrong it may be a bigger overall hassle. For the small cost difference getting it local may be the most expedient and whatever you save by buying online may be offset by more hassle due to reordering, returning, delays, etc.
Good point! I'll confess to instances of my inherent frugality having cost a bit more to correct a wrong purchase over the years.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #7

We replaced the toilet in our V-Lite last fall with a Dometic 310. The supply line was pex in ours. I found a pex in one side, in line shut off, and a faucet threaded connection(all one hose) at Home Depot that did the trick. It was a 12" I believe, which allowed me to make a curl in the hose and lessen the pressure on the toilet side connection.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #8
FLY4FUN

HD Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKonyha View Post
We replaced the toilet in our V-Lite last fall with a Dometic 310. The supply line was pex in ours. I found a pex in one side, in line shut off, and a faucet threaded connection(all one hose) at Home Depot that did the trick. It was a 12" I believe, which allowed me to make a curl in the hose and lessen the pressure on the toilet side connection.
Was the PEX in a "push fit" or crimp? I'm assuming that the threaded end simply screwed on to the Dometic 310? Sounds like a good option.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #9

It was a "push fit" connection. I didn't have any of the crimp tools. Solved all my issues at once. I found out an rv toilet is inlet is not the same threads as a residential toilet. I'm pretty sure it was braided steel line also. The line was not with the regular pex fittings in our local Home Depot. I had to ask for help. There was a variety of different configurations and lengths though.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #10

No! No! No!

Quote:
No! No! No! Putting a restriction (e.g., partially closed valve, bent tubing) in a water line does not reduce the pressure beyond that point. It reduces the flow. Stop and think about what happens when there is no flow. The pressure becomes equal on both sides of the restriction.

I'm wish I knew why so many people delude themselves in this manner. I could sell a lot of bridges.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
No! No! No! Putting a restriction (e.g., partially closed valve, bent tubing) in a water line does not reduce the pressure beyond that point. It reduces the flow. Stop and think about what happens when there is no flow. The pressure becomes equal on both sides of the restriction.

I'm wish I knew why so many people delude themselves in this manner. I could sell a lot of bridges.
I believe they meant it reduced the torsional and/or lateral force of the piping on the physical connection, not the water pressure inside the pipe.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #12

Quote:
I believe they meant it reduced the torsional and/or lateral force of the piping on the physical connection, not the water pressure inside the pipe.
That's exactly what I meant. Not a flow restrictor. Trying to hook up the Dometic where the Thetford was resulted in a broken elbow. The new hose makes it much easier to shut the water off and remove the toilet if necessary.

You can keep your bridge.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #13

Sorry about that.

Quote:
That's exactly what I meant. Not a flow restrictor. Trying to hook up the Dometic where the Thetford was resulted in a broken elbow. The new hose makes it much easier to shut the water off and remove the toilet if necessary.

You can keep your bridge.
Sorry. I was confused. I would have used the word "stress" for that situation.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #14
FLY4FUN

PEX...SIZE

Thanks to all...for sharing thoughts, expertise and ideas. FYI, I've braved the wind and cold (42F is cold here in NC! ) to lift the cover & see and measure...it is PEX, and it is 1/2". Now I know what size inline valve I'll need if I go that way.