Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2020, 02:07 PM   #1

Too much stabilizer movement

We have a Forest River Freedom Express Coachman 248RBS.

The stabilizing jacks are very sloppily attached to the frame. What I mean by that is if you extend them down as little as 6 inches or more and grab them and move side to side or front to back there is a lot of play/movement in them. This means there is no way for stabilization because they move too much.

1. Can this be corrected?
2. Are there better stabilizers out there with less movement?
3. Would another pair of stabilizers added in front of the wheels on both sides help?

Getting tired of the Rockin and Rolling

Thanks everyone.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:17 PM   #2

Check out the JT Strongarm or Steadfast systems. I installed the JT Strongarm on my 279RLDS this past summer and it made a world of difference. My jacks are similar to yours where they wiggle more than they should so the new bars made a huge difference.

It cost me about $200 and maybe 4 to 5 hours of my time but it was well worth it.
Draggo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggo View Post
Check out the JT Strongarm or Steadfast systems. I installed the JT Strongarm on my 279RLDS this past summer and it made a world of difference. My jacks are similar to yours where they wiggle more than they should so the new bars made a huge difference.

It cost me about $200 and maybe 4 to 5 hours of my time but it was well worth it.

My jacks are mounted on and angle. Not in line front to back or side to side with the frame. How were your mounted? Did you have to move them?
Thanks
Old 01-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #4

Mine were mounted on an angle as well. I did straighten the front ones out so they were perpendicular to the frame but I left the back ones at an angle and have no problems with the arms connecting to them or locking in place. As long as you have someplace to mount the bars to it doesn't matter if they are angled or not.
Draggo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
My jacks are mounted on and angle. Not in line front to back or side to side with the frame. How were your mounted? Did you have to move them?
Thanks
That's the best way to have them. Personally, ours are fine. Doesn't get rid of every slight movement but who really cares.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:38 PM   #6
Part-Time Campground Host

We use the Steady Fast system and have been very pleased. Almost all of the wiggle is gone. Our stabilizers were mounted on brackets attached to the frame. I moved them onto the frame itself.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1659
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:32 PM   #7
Always Learning

I switched from knockoffs of the JT StrongArms to the SteadyFast system on my last rig and liked the SteadyFast better. Same or slightly better performance, less bars, and handles that are way easier on the hands.

https://learntorv.com/product-review...t-stabilizers/
Old 01-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #8

Steady fast it is

I did a lot of watching videos and reading of reviews and what has been said here it is clear STEADY FAST will be the choice.

Thanks everyone for you input and suggestions.

Have a Great Camping Time. I will try to report back here the results but they will not be installed until spring

Old 01-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #9

While the JT Strongarms are very good, especially for fifth wheelers, I am using the BAL Lock Arm stabilizing bar and have been very pleased with it, considering the cost. It has significantly made our Coachmen trailer more stable. I have 2, one on each of the rear corner stabilizers. Plus they are very easy to install.

https://www.amazon.com/BAL-Stabilizi...9130978&sr=8-5
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stabilizer