Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #1

Unladen Weight vs Dry Weight - Are They The Same?

We bought our Chaparral in Ohio and are getting ready to title her in PA. PA requires a MV-41 form to be filled out by a Pa inspection mechanic. Not a big deal but here's my question. No where can I find a decal that reference Unladed Weight. However there is a Dry Weight number on the same label that has the VIN. This information is in the 5th wheel where she hooks to my truck.

Thanks Everyone and Merry Christmas

John
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

I would say the mechanic will use that dry weight. Is there any other weights required for the MV-41 form?

I may be wrong, others will have to reply. As you should know, the dry weight on that sticker is the weight of the RV as it rolled off the assembly line and doesn't include battery, LP or water.

Unladen means that it is not a loaded trailer/truck. The same as gross weight means loaded, tare weight is unloaded/unladen, and net weight is the weight of the contents.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I would say the mechanic will use that dry weight. Is there any other weights required for the MV-41 form?

I may be wrong, others will have to reply. As you should know, the dry weight on that sticker is the weight of the RV as it rolled off the assembly line and doesn't include battery, LP or water.

Unladen means that it is not a loaded trailer/truck. The same as gross weight means loaded, tare weight is unloaded/unladen, and net weight is the weight of the contents.

You are correct as to what Unladed Weight is. There are no other labels other than the one for tires and the GVW which is 12,200#

I think this will be the number the mechanic will end up using.

Thanks for responding
Old 12-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Here is the MV-41 form http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dv...orms/MV-41.pdf and in Part D Vehicle Data that requires Correction, it asks for Unladen Weight, Registered Gross Vehicle Weight and Registered Gross Combination Weight.
Part E Verification of Weight Rating asks for GVWR, GCWR and the number of Axles
Old 12-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Here is the MV-41 form http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dv...orms/MV-41.pdf and in Part D Vehicle Data that requires Correction, it asks for Unladen Weight, Registered Gross Vehicle Weight and Registered Gross Combination Weight.
Part E Verification of Weight Rating asks for GVWR, GCWR and the number of Axles

I have that form. The girl at AAA highlighted what I need. VIN Verification, UnLaden Weight and GVWR. Signed by a Pa State Inspection a Mechanic. The others are not required on an RV.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

I would question the girl at AAA knows what is needed. VIN number is needed on any title/registration along with the GVWR. Width and length would possibly be other info needed for a trailer. Dry weight/unladen weight actually means nothing as soon as you put a battery in for the break-a-way to work.

Actually, all you are doing is getting a LEO to verify the VIN and GVWR because you purchased it out of state.

Years ago, I had to do the same with my car when I moved from Indiana to Wisconsin. The officer looked at the title, compared it to the VIN on the car and filled out the paper. I took that paper along with the Indiana title to the DMV and they issued a Wisconsin title.

Since you bought the RV from Ohio and your applying for a title in PA, you will have to have the paper from the dealer with you so they can verify it is not stolen. The dealer has the RV registered electronically in OH. It's really a lot simpler than you think.

There is a LEO from PA on these forums. I cannot recall what he goes by.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:08 AM   #7

Quote:
I would question the girl at AAA knows what is needed. VIN number is needed on any title/registration along with the GVWR. Width and length would possibly be other info needed for a trailer. Dry weight/unladen weight actually means nothing as soon as you put a battery in for the break-a-way to work.

Actually, all you are doing is getting a LEO to verify the VIN and GVWR because you purchased it out of state.

Years ago, I had to do the same with my car when I moved from Indiana to Wisconsin. The officer looked at the title, compared it to the VIN on the car and filled out the paper. I took that paper along with the Indiana title to the DMV and they issued a Wisconsin title.

Since you bought the RV from Ohio and your applying for a title in PA, you will have to have the paper from the dealer with you so they can verify it is not stolen. The dealer has the RV registered electronically in OH. It's really a lot simpler than you think.

There is a LEO from PA on these forums. I cannot recall what he goes by.

Years ago I went through this with another camper that we bought in Ohio. You are correct in regards to having a copy of the Bill Of Sale also known as a Buyers Order. We'll be paying the tax to PA. VIN verification, GVW and Unladen Weight are required in order to title the camper in Pa. I'm just trying to get clarification that Dry Weight and Unladed Weight are one in the same.

Thanks for responding to my question and have a great Holiday.

Tags
weight