Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 09:37 PM   #1

Water damage - steer clear?

I have been wanting a hybrid forever, but it rained just before we took our pup down this past week. Since it stays with friends near the campground, they will have to open it to let it dry, so now I don’t want to have to deal with that anymore. I’m very interested in a 17’ travel trailer I saw on Facebook marketplace, but it has a salvage title due to water damage. The dealer said windows were left open when it rained, but everything works. He said we could get it inspected by the state (PA) and have a regular title issued. Should we consider this one, or give it a hard pass? We like the layout, size, and price.
OutOfTheTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:13 PM   #2

Water can get into all sorts of places in an RV and cause rot, mold, and mildew. If it has been wet I would not buy it.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheTent View Post
I have been wanting a hybrid forever, but it rained just before we took our pup down this past week. Since it stays with friends near the campground, they will have to open it to let it dry, so now I don’t want to have to deal with that anymore. I’m very interested in a 17’ travel trailer I saw on Facebook marketplace, but it has a salvage title due to water damage. The dealer said windows were left open when it rained, but everything works. He said we could get it inspected by the state (PA) and have a regular title issued. Should we consider this one, or give it a hard pass? We like the layout, size, and price.
As far as I know, in PA (where I live as well) you can only convert from a salvage to a reconstructed title. Maybe RVs are different, but I doubt it. This being said, an R title basically behaves like any other title, except that you may have trouble insuring it, and resale value is affected. You'll also need to do work to get it to an R title. http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dv...d_Vehicles.pdf In order for a vehicle to have a salvage title, it means enough damage needed to have been done to total the vehicle (in other words, cost to fix is more than it's worth).

I'd never dream of buying a salvage vehicle due to water damage. And there's even less of a chance of me believing a salesman about what actually happened.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheTent View Post
Unless you're handy and like taking on projects, I would also stay clear.
What year, make and model number of hybrid is it? I'm betting that, if it's a hybrid, there's more water damage around the bunk ends.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:12 AM   #5

It’s not a hybrid. You’ve all told me what I thought was most likely. Thanks for helping to stop me from making that mistake.

Tags
water