Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
Full Time RV'rs.

Water Hose & Algae

We been full time now for 4 years, been many places. In March 2015 we have been at a resort here in FL.

Anyways

Recently i have found moss in our filter fitted to the RV, I also have 2 inline filters before reaching the main. I do have a white RV hose. Read that if you wrap the hose in foam pipe insulation, paint it white or silver and keep it elevated this reduces the algae build up?

Has anyone heard of this.

TY
Nepas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've never seen or heard of algae build up before. Especially if it's filtered. How often do you sanitize? How often do you replace your filters?

We don't full time, so our trailer only gets maybe 30-50 nights a year. Every spring after dewinterizing it gets sanitized and a new filter. I'd expect a full timer would want to do it at least 1-2 times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #3
Full Time RV'rs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I've never seen or heard of algae build up before. Especially if it's filtered. How often do you sanitize? How often do you replace your filters?

We don't full time, so our trailer only gets maybe 30-50 nights a year. Every spring after dewinterizing it gets sanitized and a new filter. I'd expect a full timer would want to do it at least 1-2 times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I change out my 3 filters every 3 months, one is $55 to replace (metal cartridge), the KW-1 is the filter hooked fast to the 5th wheel and its $35, the other is the $17 blue one you hook onto your hose.

We don't use our fresh water , its 1/3 full and sanitized. Our water is from the post and is city water.

Last year we didn't have this problem
Old 06-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

Yes I have seen "Green" in clear filters in Fla! My Inlaws had 1 clear filter and 1 white filter on the outside supply line,they Both had Green Inside! This was a $$$ Park in Fort Myers,Fl. It was a Hard plumbed system,No hoses,but I cleaned the housing and replaced the elements,I would replace the Elements often! Your call! This was on "City Water"! Youroo!!
Old 06-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #5
Full Time RV'rs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Yes I have seen "Green" in clear filters in Fla! My Inlaws had 1 clear filter and 1 white filter on the outside supply line,they Both had Green Inside! This was a $$$ Park in Fort Myers,Fl. It was a Hard plumbed system,No hoses,but I cleaned the housing and replaced the elements,I would replace the Elements often! Your call! This was on "City Water"! Youroo!!
This resort is a $$$ end one. Seems like there are a couple others who have the same issue. Resort there are no mobile homes in this park, all high end MH or 5th wheels.

Looks like a trip to lowes.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepas View Post
This resort is a $$$ end one. Seems like there are a couple others who have the same issue. Resort there are no mobile homes in this park, all high end MH or 5th wheels.

Looks like a trip to lowes.
The Park I was referring to is " Indian Creek"! Youroo!!
Old 06-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #7
Full Time RV'rs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The Park I was referring to is " Indian Creek"! Youroo!!
Sorta like the one we are at but no fixed mobile home style. No tents allowed, no open fire pits either, its all good.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #8

The cost of the park has nothing to do with the quality of the water. I believe a bio filter might be the only one that will stop all algae. I think I would hyper chlorinate my entire system at least once for 24 hrs. then at anytime I saw green.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
The cost of the park has nothing to do with the quality of the water. I believe a bio filter might be the only one that will stop all algae. I think I would hyper chlorinate my entire system at least once for 24 hrs. then at anytime I saw green.
I dont know about that,there is a Park not very far from the Manatee Park area that is on "Wells" the water is ??! Youroo!!
Old 06-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #10

If you are in a campsite or park and you have suspicions about the quality of the water supply: Do not say anything to any of the park employees. Do go find a drug store/pharmacy and ask for a "sterile water sample container". Most of these store will give these to you or charge pennies for it. Place a sample of the water in question into the sterile container and cap it. Get this sample from the source of water, the spigot or where ever you're hose connects. Contact the local municipal water supply source and ask if they will test the water and what fee (if any) may be charged. This is even if the park/campground you are in has it's own well or if the water source is a municipal source. For just a few $ you can find out if there is any problem with the water source. IF there is a problem with the water the local municipality will want to know anyway. And YES they have authority over private wells as far as water quality.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water