Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 10:59 PM   #1

Water tank sag

Hello. Jus let went out to plug the camper into get the fridge coooing for next weekends trip and I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid or not. There is a buldge in the under belly cover below the water tank. Is this normal and I've been reading too many horror stories or is this abnormal.

2018 Catalina 283rks ordered this spring and delivered in April. I do keep the tank full for a couple reasons.

The bottom of the tank and straps are buldged and hanging down several inches from the front of the tank to the rear.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #2

If it was me,I'd drop a panel under there and take a look.The straps have probably failed. Heard of it a couple of times. Better safe than sorry.It would be back to drop the tank going down the road. I too haul at least half to 2/3 of fresh water just to put more pin weight on the truck.Makes for a better ride.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #3

As Daveandsue says, some water tanks have flimsy straps to hold them. Here is a thread where someone beefed up the supports.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...de-129346.html
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:35 AM   #4

The straps have not failed per say. They are sagging with the tank. That's what I saw on the front side of the tank. Need to pull the back down to look st the back.

Your right they are flimsy and only held in with a single screw. But I'm just trying to compare to another one. I do not have time to beef up the support before my trip and I have to have the water tanks full as I'll be in the middle of conservation land hunting. 3.5 hours each way.

I'll try and look at the back of the straps when I get home but it will be dark again by the.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:19 PM   #5

If that's the case, then I would travel with a 1/2 full tank instead of full. You don't want to put anymore strain on the tank/straps while you're travelling.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:41 AM   #6

Each gallon of water weighs approx. 8 pounds. My TT holds 46 gallons. About 370 pounds. That weight about doubles when you go over dips or bumps in the road,,,worse at higher speeds, when all that weight is slamming up and down,,back and forth. There are no internal baffles to stop this. I would definitely reinforce those brackets. Tanks have actually fell out of TTs while on the road,The MFDs don't care.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicky06 View Post
water tanks full as I'll be in the middle of conservation land hunting. 3.5 hours each way.

I would not want to drive 3.5 hours with a full tank that was sagging!
There must be somewhere closer to your destination that you can stop and fill up!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-42
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:52 AM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:

I do not have time to beef up the support before my trip and I have to have the water tanks full as I'll be in the middle of conservation land hunting...3.5 hours each way.
Might be better to only take enough water to use the facilities while on the road and fill up somewhere near the destination.

I personally don't like to travel with no more than 1/2 tank of fresh water.

Not to mention that a lot of people that travel with full tanks only find 1/2 tank or less on arrival due to water sloshing out of the fresh tank overflow vents while rolling.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Might be better to only take enough water to use the facilities while on the road and fill up somewhere near the destination.

I personally don't like to travel with no more than 1/2 tank of fresh water.

Not to mention that a lot of people that travel with full tanks only find 1/2 tank or less on arrival due to water sloshing out of the fresh tank overflow vents while rolling.
I fixed this months ago and posted another thread here

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-164028.html

I need to travel with full water. My trailer is very tongue heavy and the water tank is against the rear bumper. So I use the water wieght to my advantage to stay withinn payload if my truck when I am loaded for a long week out. My hitch is setup for full water also I keep it full. Still have 13-14% TW

My over flow vent is next to my full port. So I have never lost any significant amount while traveling.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #10

Son and I removed the straps and welded angle iron braces across the bottom of the tank. We removed the straps....by pulling them out with our hands.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #11

I apoligise for not realizing how old the thread was. I only found out after I posted it. How has it worked since the repair? I will probably do mine also.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #12

It has worked out fine. It doesn’t flex at all when full. Then again the tubing I used will support 6-7 full tanks.

Only downside is the coroplastic is all stretched there and still sags but hope to fix that when I open up the bottom for pipe heaters.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #13
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:

My over flow vent is next to my full port. So I have never lost any significant amount while traveling.
The vent by the fill port is a fill vent.

The overflow vents will be on each side of the the tank under the trailer.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
The vent by the fill port is a fill vent.

The overflow vents will be on each side of the the tank under the trailer.

Then I donít have overflow vents. I have had a water pump check valve failure and the only place it leaked from was the full port and vent.

Tags
tank, water, water tank