Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #21

Kfergiez #1 Could you give more details regarding switching out the awning lights? We had a kit bought (has controller/plug and even a remote to change the colors) BUT we looked into installing it today and hubby really believes it won't work. It is 12v. 'Dbledan' on a post from 9/24/17 had posted a link in Amazon of a kit and it looks just like our's so we'd really like to know more bc hubby thinks it won't work to just cut cords and splice them in.

Sure! I bought light strips similar to THIS. It is controlled by radio instead of infrared so I could mount the remote receiver anywhere. You only need to splice the 12v. into the controller, then run your controller wire to your lights. I installed my controller in the front storage area behind a little panel where the power for the awning motor and lights run. Then I ran a wire like THIS from the controller, up the awning support (where all the other wires go), to my new lights.

#2 Could you post a link to the slide topper you purchased/installed?? Could you do me a HUGE favor and measure from the camper out to the farthest part out for the slide topper?? We have limited space bc our garage door is only so wide and I worry this worn't work to do. THANKS!!

HERE is the link to the slide topper we bought.
I sticks out 4" from the main body, and the gutters stick out about 3". So I suppose you're only adding 1" of width.

#3 bunk beds curtain... do you find that it might be better to have 2 curtains vs 1?? And have you had it pulled down etc by the kids feet? Does it make it harder for the top person to get into bed with the curtain in the way??
Thanks for any and all feedback!!! One big mod I've done so far is to make/install doors on both dinette seats so that we can use that space more efficient (pantry)....
THANKS!!

I like only one curtain. It's been knocked down a couple of times, but it's not a huge deal. If it gets in the way, I just tuck it up above the bathroom door or above the slideout trim.

BUT... now you owe me! Show me your cabinet door mods on the dinette seats. I've been dying to do this, but I've not had time to find the right doors. Where did you find doors?
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
BUT... now you owe me! Show me your cabinet door mods on the dinette seats. I've been dying to do this, but I've not had time to find the right doors. Where did you find doors?
I contacted Forest River for my doors, handles, hinges. Was an easy install. Just had to knock the panel out and screw the doors in it's place.

It was a much needed update as the under seat compartments are usable now!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #23

VERY AWESOME on the measurements of the slide topper (I knew the gutters stuck out BUT I thought it was going to be more than an inch added to the width of the camper), this is sweet bc we ARE going to do this now!!! Did you flip the 2 pieces so the whole rail would sit closer to the top of the camper trim?

Regarding the dang dinette doors. I researched and researched till I was blue in the face (or hands). Because I had a hard time finding doors that were the right size, I was going to make slide out trays that attached to the door (all as one piece, was more my neighbors suggestion) and was going to use 2 wooden crates attached to each other BUT I just didn't like this option. I came across an old plastic container that was a perfect fit for the area (BUT cannot find a 2nd one that is as high). I had an old plastic shelving kit that had square corners and I put one of the 'shelves' (I'm hiding small stuff under that shelf that rarely get's used) under the container (the container is a tiny bit above the wood frame of the dinette. Basically I cut doors out of scrap oak wood I had (from when we made a makeshift desk). Drilled a hole in (bc I was worried about 'catching' on any latch). Bought hinges and I forget what the other piece is called so the door stays closed (other cabinet doors in camper have it). Finding a stain dark enough to match was a little challenge. I only have one door completely done and installed (need to get the right hinge tonight for the other). I WILL post pictures of it bc I am proud of this mod :-)

Curious further on the awning light thing. The square LED box on the wall (under the bed), can you tell me more about that? What parts of the kit did you not use? Are you able to use the remote and change the colors etc?? I'll have share your feedback/pictures with hubby and see if he can make sense of it BC we'd love to have our's switched (our kit was also NOT waterproof so he decided that was one of the reasons it wouldn't work).....

THANKS a ton!!!
WI Margbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #24

Did you flip the 2 pieces so the whole rail would sit closer to the top of the camper trim?

Yep! I installed the channel that holds the fabric to the body upside down to get right up under the gutter.

Curious further on the awning light thing. The square LED box on the wall (under the bed), can you tell me more about that? What parts of the kit did you not use? Are you able to use the remote and change the colors etc?? I'll have share your feedback/pictures with hubby and see if he can make sense of it BC we'd love to have our's switched (our kit was also NOT waterproof so he decided that was one of the reasons it wouldn't work).....

The little square LED box is just the controller for the remote (which is velcro'ed to the wall beside the exterior light switch). I takes the 12v. from the the light switch, sends the power to the RGB LED with that which extension cable that I mentioned earlier. The original light switch still works, and the cool part is that the controller remembers your last settings. So if I have the lights set to a warm white color and switch off the power via the light switch, the next time your turn them on it will stay that color. I rarely use the remote except to set the brightness or change colors for some reason. We just primarily use the stock switch.

Here's an official parts list

LED Controller
LED Light Strip
4-pin Extension cable(to run from the controller to LED light strip via the same path as the stock power cable)

If memory serves, the biggest pain the in rear was stripping the wires from the 4-pin extension cable to wire into the controller. AND one of the pins was wrong. I had to swap one of the colors of the wires. But in the end it works flawlessly.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Did you flip the 2 pieces so the whole rail would sit closer to the top of the camper trim?

Yep! I installed the channel that holds the fabric to the body upside down to get right up under the gutter.

The little square LED box is just the controller for the remote (which is velcro'ed to the wall beside the exterior light switch). I takes the 12v. from the the light switch, sends the power to the RGB LED with that which extension cable that I mentioned earlier. The original light switch still works, and the cool part is that the controller remembers your last settings. So if I have the lights set to a warm white color and switch off the power via the light switch, the next time your turn them on it will stay that color. I rarely use the remote except to set the brightness or change colors for some reason. We just primarily use the stock switch.

LED Controller
LED Light Strip
4-pin Extension cable(to run from the controller to LED light strip via the same path as the stock power cable)

If memory serves, the biggest pain the in rear was stripping the wires from the 4-pin extension cable to wire into the controller. AND one of the pins was wrong. I had to swap one of the colors of the wires. But in the end it works flawlessly.
How hard was it to figure out the wiring under the bed (where the controller is)? When you say the original switch still works what do you mean by this? Did you take the 'blue' light strip down and insert the new LED lights into the channel that held the blue? Do you mean that your able to use the original light switch to turn on the 'new' awning lights now? Any chance we could short out the LED strip if we wire it wrong? Thanks much!!
Old 07-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #26

Quote:

LED Controller
LED Light Strip

On your slide topper does the topper/fabric hang past the slide body? I've read comments that people say it should overhang on each side between 3-5".... I can see why but how much lea way do you have on the part that attaches to the slide? TX!
Old 07-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI Margbabe View Post
How hard was it to figure out the wiring under the bed (where the controller is)? When you say the original switch still works what do you mean by this? Did you take the 'blue' light strip down and insert the new LED lights into the channel that held the blue? Do you mean that your able to use the original light switch to turn on the 'new' awning lights now? Any chance we could short out the LED strip if we wire it wrong? Thanks much!!
The wiring was really easy. The controller has two inputs for power (+) and (-). It has four outputs. One for Ground, then Red, Green, Blue. Just plug in your wires to those and you're done!

I pulled out the blue LED light strip entirely and inserted our new light strip in it's place. Then I took the original power cord that powered that blue strip, and used it to power the new controller. That's why I can use the original stock switch that powered the blue light strip.

There's no chance you can short out the LED strip. If you hook it up backwards, it just won't work, but it won't harm anything.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #28

Quote:
On your slide topper does the topper/fabric hang past the slide body? I've read comments that people say it should overhang on each side between 3-5".... I can see why but how much lea way do you have on the part that attaches to the slide? TX!
Yes, hangs over either side of the slide body by about 4-5"

The parts that attach to the slide have a ton of room to do this, maybe 10"
Old 07-12-2018, 07:38 AM   #29

Quote:

LED Controller
LED Light Strip

Quote:
The wiring was really easy. The controller has two inputs for power (+) and (-). It has four outputs. One for Ground, then Red, Green, Blue. Just plug in your wires to those and you're done!

I pulled out the blue LED light strip entirely and inserted our new light strip in it's place. Then I took the original power cord that powered that blue strip, and used it to power the new controller. That's why I can use the original stock switch that powered the blue light strip.

There's no chance you can short out the LED strip. If you hook it up backwards, it just won't work, but it won't harm anything.
Thannks much, have the parts ordered and hope to get it installed by our next camping trip :-) So really silly question at this point.... Why can't you just wire the new lights to the exsisting cord that ran to the blue lights? Is it bc it's different voltage or bc of RF bit?

And thanks a ton on the slide awning.... look to do that also in the next 2 weeks!
Old 07-19-2018, 07:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Kfergiez it looks like you modified your waste piping setup. Would you mind taking a picture of what you did? I want to shorten mine and add an attachment that allows the rhino clean out the ability to connect directly to the black tank.
Hwkscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Thannks much, have the parts ordered and hope to get it installed by our next camping trip :-) So really silly question at this point.... Why can't you just wire the new lights to the exsisting cord that ran to the blue lights? Is it bc it's different voltage or bc of RF bit?

And thanks a ton on the slide awning.... look to do that also in the next 2 weeks!
Now I noticed you have a black item in the wires (joining existing electrical?), can you just use electrical tape?? Are the old LED lights the same as the new ones? Will be 'trying' to install this, this week/weekend...... Thanks much!!
Old 08-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #32

Switched out obnoxious blue awning lights to multi-color Radio frequency LED lights

See new message below regarding storage lights....
Quote:
Kfergiez #1 Could you give more details regarding switching out the awning lights? We had a kit bought (has controller/plug and even a remote to change the colors) BUT we looked into installing it today and hubby really believes it won't work. It is 12v. 'Dbledan' on a post from 9/24/17 had posted a link in Amazon of a kit and it looks just like our's so we'd really like to know more bc hubby thinks it won't work to just cut cords and splice them in.

Sure! I bought light strips similar to THIS. It is controlled by radio instead of infrared so I could mount the remote receiver anywhere. You only need to splice the 12v. into the controller, then run your controller wire to your lights. I installed my controller in the front storage area behind a little panel where the power for the awning motor and lights run. Then I ran a wire like THIS from the controller, up the awning support (where all the other wires go), to my new lights.

So 2 weeks ago Hubby and I did the switchout of the Awning lights (3 different parts bought for $30+). The hardest part for us was getting the old awning light strip out (had a hard time getting the black covers off on both ends). I had this crazy idea that hubby didn't get until I could really show him. I figured we were going to have at least 4' left of the new multicolor LED light strip left so I thought WHY would it not work to put the 'extra' inside the storage compartment! HECK the only time it makes sense to have the awning lights on is at night and this is also when it would be convenient to have lights in the storage area!! (you cut off one end of the white cord(for original awning install), use the cut off remaining end to plug in the cut off remaining LED light strip)! Hint for stripping the wires to put into the controller (he forgot his wire stripper), using his teeth was perfect. SO basically you have 2 wires going into each slot of the controller (instead of just one from the awning).
I had plastic clips/screws from another LED strip I had used at home so I taped the strip to the top of the wall and then screwed these clips every foot or so.... LOVE it!!!!

#2 Could you post a link to the slide topper you purchased/installed?? Could you do me a HUGE favor and measure from the camper out to the farthest part out for the slide topper?? We have limited space bc our garage door is only so wide and I worry this worn't work to do. THANKS!!

HERE is the link to the slide topper we bought.
I sticks out 4" from the main body, and the gutters stick out about 3". So I suppose you're only adding 1" of width.

#3 bunk beds curtain... do you find that it might be better to have 2 curtains vs 1?? And have you had it pulled down etc by the kids feet? Does it make it harder for the top person to get into bed with the curtain in the way??
Thanks for any and all feedback!!! One big mod I've done so far is to make/install doors on both dinette seats so that we can use that space more efficient (pantry)....
THANKS!!

I like only one curtain. It's been knocked down a couple of times, but it's not a huge deal. If it gets in the way, I just tuck it up above the bathroom door or above the slideout trim.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning lights Storage Green.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	183241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning lights Storage purple.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	183242  
Old 08-15-2018, 02:15 AM   #33

Outside Shower install

Quote:
Okay Frank,
Here's a laundry list with SOME pics.

1. Added backup lights. You can check out my post about it HERE
2. Added a slide topper for our slideout. Found a good one on Amazon, I can send you the link if you want it.
3. Added a battery shutoff switch. COMPLETELY disconnects the batteries from any small draw.
4. Added a shower! I put it on the door side instead of the slide side. It made more sense
Kyle for the Outside shower install, was this difficult to do? how did you choose the location of the shower and can you provide details on how you cut through the side wall, and connected the water lines? Am very interested in this install but cutting such a large piece of the side wall is a bit intimidating
5. Changed the STUPID blue lights. I added an RGB light strip in its place. Is WAY better
6. Added a switch to the little radio. I hated the blue glow at night.
7. Added a USB charging station in the headboard. It just uses standard 12v.
8. Added a curtain to the bunk beds.
9. Added a real tub and shower spout (stole this idea from the new 2018 models).
10. Lots of command strip hooks to hang towels from
11. Added a towel rack in the kitchen
12. Added solar panels with controller. That was a big project, let me know if you want to hear about it.
For this did you make use of the solar prep or where did you feed the wires down from the panels to the charge controller?
13. Replaced table legs with a swinging leg and wall bracket. Makes it WAY easier to put the table up and down, and is more stable.
14. Added LED puck lights to the pass through storage.

If at any time you want more information about any of these projects, I can get you more pics, and links to products and prices.

Cheers,
-Kyle
Thanks in Advance!
TCKSZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #34

TCKSZ,

The shower install was not difficult.... just nerve wracking. Your standard size RV shower box simply will not fit where I wanted to place it (I put it under the awning on the exterior side of where the tiny closet is in the bathroom). The biggest issue was that tiny closet was too narrow. I found a shower box that was smaller that works perfectly on Amazon LINK.

The other challenge was cutting in the exterior wall at EXACTLY the correct location. I needed to pry up the floor of the tiny bathroom closet, and take measurements to where to drill and cut. That was scary.

I then put painters tape on the outside of my cut path, marked it, and went to town with my jigsaw. I measured and remeasured about 100 times to make sure I had it right.

After that, I hooked up the shower to the existing water lines that ran from the bathtub to the kitchen sink that are along that wall (another reason to put it there... easy access to water) and I was finished.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos except for the finished product.

For the solar setup, I did not use the existing solar inputs. It's just wiring direct to the battery. I actually set up the panels on the roof, drilled through the roof (Scary, I know) into the wall that separates the bunk beds and the dinette area, and hooked up my controller directly to the power feeds by the main junction box.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #35

Quote:
Now I noticed you have a black item in the wires (joining existing electrical?), can you just use electrical tape?? Are the old LED lights the same as the new ones? Will be 'trying' to install this, this week/weekend...... Thanks much!!
I have NOT been on these forums much at all lately... we've been SWAMPED with camping!

The black stuff is heat shrink tubing, which is amazing stuff!

I saw your install, it looks great!
Old 08-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwkscr View Post
Kfergiez it looks like you modified your waste piping setup. Would you mind taking a picture of what you did? I want to shorten mine and add an attachment that allows the rhino clean out the ability to connect directly to the black tank.
Hopefully I can get you a picture today. I basically made my black tank pipe perfectly straight, and piped my grey water to meet it at its new location.

This way when I drain, I can shove my little turbo-whirly-rinser thing up the pipe and do a thorough rinse!
Old 08-16-2018, 04:11 AM   #37

Thanks!

If I do attempt this I may hit you up with more questions or maybe photos of your water line connection.

Thanks for sharing!
TCKSZ is offline   Reply With Quote