Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2019, 08:40 AM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeotte View Post
We don’t have a battery disconnect so we always disconnect the battery cables when the trailer is going to sit in storage for a few days.

OK, do you know if your husband disconnected both battery terminals. The reason I ask, is if so and he reconnected them backwards, even for a split second (which does happen a lot), then it blows the reverse polarity fuses tot he converter. The converter cannot function then. This does happen an awful lot, especially when the battery wires are black and white (instead of black and red like a car). In the case of black and white battery cables, the positive wire can be the black wire.

Check out this post for possible reverse polarity fuses and their locations, either in the distribution panel or on the converter itself.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1911563

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:10 AM   #42

I cant say I dont plan her for being pissed, when you buy new it's hard to except any type of problems. I've been there and know others that have as well. Its frustrating to say the least. But as others have said it's not the name of the unit , its usually the items used during mfg. But again some dealers hire help that aren't qualified to wash a trailer. But that's not the mfg,s problem, that between the purchasers and dealers. I'm sure that this problem is not a major problem to us , because we've been there . She sounds very frustrated at this time. And I understand her emotional state. Hopefully they get it fixed soon , and I'm sure if its something they overlooked and could have fixed at the time ,we wont hear about it . But things can break ,and when your camping it is always the worst time . Good luck with your problems, I truly hope it's a simple non cost fix. Sometimes newer isn't always best , especially with electronics. A simple connection between 2 wires can cause what seems like a major issue.
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:28 PM   #43
Site Team

dianeotte, dealers often don't disconnect the batter or keep it plugged into shore power. Therefore the parasitic power drains deplete the battery.
I've picked up my TT 3x, from the service department, only to find the battery completely dead each time.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeotte View Post
Thanks for all the comments. I’m typing on my phone so I didn’t feel the need to provide all the details about the 2 hours we spent with the campground host testing fuses, charging our battery and trying to just ‘boondock’ for the night. It is true- I am not handy but my husband is decent at that kind of stuff. And YES we tried to call our dealer. As i mentioned we had just picked it up from the dealership and headed to the campground. They swore they fixed the slide issue but the service guys were heading out for the night and didn’t seem to keen on letting us plug into shore power to test their work. When we had the issue we tried to call the dealership but they were closed for the day. It is not a blown fuse, we checked them all. The campground host felt it was a bad converter because all items that are 110 were working and the fan would start to engage, then cut out. He said he had 5 trailers and that was typical of a converter problem. We left the campground because we don’t have any light- we haven’t fully outfitted the unit with lanterns and outdoor camping stuff. I feel that instead of being helpful I am just being attacked because I was incapable of fixing the problem myself or getting a closed dealership to answer my calls.
I have posted problems on here before and lots of replies slammed me. Don’t take it personally. Just move on past. Some people!
patsylou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsylou2 View Post
I have posted problems on here before and lots of replies slammed me. Don’t take it personally. Just move on past. Some people!
Well, when someone comes onto a forum and makes statements that the manufacturer is the worst company in the world, the quality is the worst, the customer service is the worst, and so on, they've insulted a lot of the other members who are proud owners of their coaches, made huge investments, and don't like being told essentially that they too may have made a mistake. Also, some of the forum members are employees of the manufacturers and may be able to help. By immediately bashing their employer, I would assume they'd be reluctant to chime in and help.

It's OK to ask for recommendations on how to resolve your problem but, by immediately bashing the manufacturer it completely turns the replies in another direction. That's just human nature.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:05 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
Also, some of the forum members are employees of the manufacturers and may be able to help. By immediately bashing their employer, I would assume they'd be reluctant to chime in and help.
Just to clarify, there are only 2 or 3 Forest River Inc employees that are members here.
And only one now, is active on the Forum, Brian Clemens.
He is the GM of Dynamax and Dynamax owners are blessed to have him.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
Well, when someone comes onto a forum and makes statements that the manufacturer is the worst company in the world, the quality is the worst, the customer service is the worst, and so on, they've insulted a lot of the other members who are proud owners of their coaches, made huge investments, and don't like being told essentially that they too may have made a mistake. Also, some of the forum members are employees of the manufacturers and may be able to help. By immediately bashing their employer, I would assume they'd be reluctant to chime in and help.

It's OK to ask for recommendations on how to resolve your problem but, by immediately bashing the manufacturer it completely turns the replies in another direction. That's just human nature.
Never slammed a manufacturer; just posted issues with an RV. Got slammed for that negatively. Treated like a leper.
patsylou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #48

Probably best before taking a unit off the lot to be sure that everything works which would take some time.

I would have the salesman walk me through every little thing on the unit plus keep an eye out for things that he may be missing.

M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #49

Dianeotte, let's bring this thread back to your issue at hand, which I beleive is no 12v power anywhere. I think Wmtire, JohnD10, Mr Dan and other (not meaning to count anyone out, just cant remember who all posted what) have provided very insightful advice. Hows the investigation going today? Many of us really want to help.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
OK, do you know if your husband disconnected both battery terminals. The reason I ask, is if so and he reconnected them backwards, even for a split second (which does happen a lot), then it blows the reverse polarity fuses tot he converter. The converter cannot function then. This does happen an awful lot, especially when the battery wires are black and white (instead of black and red like a car). In the case of black and white battery cables, the positive wire can be the black wire.

Check out this post for possible reverse polarity fuses and their locations, either in the distribution panel or on the converter itself.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1911563

Nope. He was adamant that he has always connected them correctly.
dianeotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #51
Just as confused as you

Not all resetable breaker/fuses are on the hitch a-frame. If you follow the wires from the break-a-way switch you will find it. It will be near the junction box that the trailers umbilical cord is wired in. Mine is on the front of the trailer frame near the hitch.

The resetable breaker/fuse must be where the owner can access it and not where it is covered by the underbelly panels.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Probably best before taking a unit off the lot to be sure that everything works which would take some time.

I would have the salesman walk me through every little thing on the unit plus keep an eye out for things that he may be missing.

M-Bob

Well, we did that when we took delivery on Jan 3. We even waited until hot water was coming out hot , fridge was cold, stove was lit and slide and awning went in and out. Slide problem happened when we were packing up to leave.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #53
Site Team

dianeotte, were you able to find two fuses (30a or 40a) that were physically labeled as Reverse Polarity fuses. They are generally not in the line of regular circuit fuses... and reversing the battery cables are not the only thing that can blow one/both of them. They need to be checked.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #54

Update- bought a battery charger and charged battery. After plugging that in and connecting unit to shore power we have power to everything EXCEPT the slide still won’t work. And now, about every 20 seconds the lights flash, converter fan skips, like we are getting a pulse from the battery. We disconnected shore power and the pulsing still happens. You can actually see the black negative battery cord jump a little! Called dealer. Of course the service area is closed but now they are telling me they replaced a breaker, not the slide motor they said they replaced when we picked it up. You can see or get to a frame breaker. Anyone ever had that weird pulsing? If it was shore power I would be freaked out that it was a surge and causing damage. But a surge from the 12 v? Strange
Old 02-02-2019, 04:41 PM   #55

All TTs need to have a few issues worked out. It is warranted for a year, and your dealer needs to address the issues. I bought a new 2018 Freedom Express 281 RLDS in late October, parked it on the pad in the backyard, and then in January discovered a leak at the sliding window at the sink after a blowing downpour. Not a serious issue, but have an appointment in June to have it fixed. Not hauling it around in this winter weather. My dealer was more than accommodating. It was my choice to wait til June after the first camping trip to see if there are any other issues needing to be addresses.
Good luck.
Rmstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:46 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Not all resetable breaker/fuses are on the hitch a-frame. If you follow the wires from the break-a-way switch you will find it. It will be near the junction box that the trailers umbilical cord is wired in. Mine is on the front of the trailer frame near the hitch.

The resetable breaker/fuse must be where the owner can access it and not where it is covered by the underbelly panels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	196052Attachment 1 here is the umbilical cord and the breakaway switch...no breaker/fuse between. So I’m stumped
Old 02-02-2019, 05:27 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
dianeotte, were you able to find two fuses (30a or 40a) that were physically labeled as Reverse Polarity fuses. They are generally not in the line of regular circuit fuses... and reversing the battery cables are not the only thing that can blow one/both of them. They need to be checked.

Yes. 2 40 amp fuses right next to all the 15 amp fuses on the converter. Neither were blown (according to DH)
Old 02-02-2019, 05:32 PM   #58

Spoke with Dealership AGAIN. They think it is a short or ground fault that may have been caused by an incorrect installation of the Slide breaker. This is all located under the slide and requires a star wrench to remove the underbelly cover. 48 degrees tonight so we are hunkering down with a campfire and will probably chicken out and sleep at home- drive back early AM to get one more day ‘roughing it’. At least we have water for hand washing and toilet- not hot water. Better than staying home and doing laundry.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #59

Nice job toughing it out at a campfire for at least a while.

If 120v is working, an electic heater goes a long way to keeping warm. If 120v isnt working in the camper, an extension cord from the pedestal into the camper would work too. You'll have to find a creative way to get it into the camper.

I'm not sure if you were able to get a multimeter. When I finally got one, it put an end to the infuriating (at least to me) electrical guessing game I used to play.

Good luck.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:49 PM   #60

I own a coachmen tt that had a slide problem. I had the slide out at home in my garage. We were going to leave and I tried to get the slide in. It didn't fire up. I checked everything - fuses, current, and the wind direction......

The problem was in the wire connectors to the slide motor. They simply were not tight.

I hate to say this, but you may have to fight a lot of "simple" stuff for a bit. I had similar problems with the awning at the switch, and the electric switch for the water heater. Other than that, it has been a great trailer.
mlangdn is offline   Reply With Quote