Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
On one of our first trips down to the Texas coast, we were traveling after dark with our new Windjammer, and upon entering the exit for our campground we encountered an entire tread from an 18 wheeler tire right in the middle of the exit; those are also known as a "road gators". No way to swerve as there were construction barricades on both sides of the exit, so I just tried to hit it with my pickup and see if it would knock it out of the way. It didn't. We pulled over to find the lower fascia on the driver side all torn up.

I know just how sick you felt when you looked at your rig. If you pull a trailer, or drive an RV, you are going to at some time, hit something and damage it. 99% chance by my guess. Look for a good repair shop and then check off the box that says: "Put the first scratch on the new RV". Keep on going, it will be more fun than you think.

Thanks friend, I appreciate your words!
Equalizer WDH/Anti-sway
Dixiedawg80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:53 PM   #62

Don't fix it. You can relax the next time you make a right turn.
Paint in the words "Move, get out of the way!"
You will be taken seriously.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:57 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
Don't fix it. You can relax the next time you make a right turn.
Paint in the words "Move, get out of the way!"
You will be taken seriously.

Dang straight!
Equalizer WDH/Anti-sway
Old 03-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #64

We had owned our brand new 2016 3010DS for one week and when pulling into the yard where we store our rig, I got too close to the post that was holding the open gate. When I heard the crunch, I imagined the whole left side would be trashed, but soon discovered the only damage was a broken running light lens and the plastic cover that goes around the wheel well also on the left side. About $85 in parts and maybe an hour of labor and we were good as new. It was a "learning experience" for me and hopefully I will never make THAT mistake again. Glad it was not any worse for you than what it was.
Lazy Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #65

Obviously your definition of "cosmetic damage" is totally different from mine.... Looks a tad worse than that..... I agree with all posts that suggest calling your insurance... You won't really be a "happy camper" until it's returned to its original splendor....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #66

Send a message via Skype™ to Campahedu
Hey DixieDog80, it happens to us all. On my maiden voyage to Minnesota with my 30' Wildwood, I did something similar at a gas station in Montreal. It sucks but here it is 2 years later...and makes for a funny campfire story. And the memories of the camping trip, your "customization" just enhances it. Enjoy the season!

Chris & Deb
2013 F150 3.5 EB,Wildwood X-Lite 262BH
Campahedu.com
Campahedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline39 View Post
Hey DixieDog80, it happens to us all. On my maiden voyage to Minnesota with my 30' Wildwood, I did something similar at a gas station in Montreal. It sucks but here it is 2 years later...and makes for a funny campfire story. And the memories of the camping trip, your "customization" just enhances it. Enjoy the season!

Thank you friend!
Equalizer WDH/Anti-sway
Old 03-27-2017, 07:16 PM   #68

I have been camping for over 35 years never had a problem When I bought my new one about a month I forgot to put the steps back up drove it out of the carport. and took out steps and front wall on side of carport. Ouch! But took bent up steps apart straightend every thing out reassembled them and you can not tell it happened. However couldn't say the same for the wall still broken at the top for now..... so it happens to all of us once in a while

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
I have been camping for over 35 years never had a problem When I bought my new one about a month I forgot to put the steps back up drove it out of the carport. and took out steps and front wall on side of carport. Ouch! But took bent up steps apart straightend every thing out reassembled them and you can not tell it happened. However couldn't say the same for the wall still broken at the top for now..... so it happens to all of us once in a while

Thank you sir.
Equalizer WDH/Anti-sway
Old 03-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #70

Well, a friend of mine did $18000.00 damage bring his new rv home and he got it fixed so maybe this will assist you with your trouble and ow small it is.
Robertpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertpaul View Post
Well, a friend of mine did $18000.00 damage bring his new rv home and he got it fixed so maybe this will assist you with your trouble and ow small it is.

[emoji15] Thank you sir.
Equalizer WDH/Anti-sway
Old 03-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #72

Been their and done that! Backing new TH into parking spot at home from picking it up at dealer. New TH is a lot higher than old one and got off center only about 6". You got it, Cracked the A/C cover. Had to remove it and glue it all up. It's going to happen now and then. Sooner or later. Good luck in your repairs. Happy RVing!
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 PM   #73

A good RV repair shop can make it new again..no worries!
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #74

So Drew, it looks like everyone has a story to tell and now you're part of the group. Let me tell you what happened to us just last week. We received a call from our storage manager saying that it looks like we hit our neighbors storage trailer and so we quickly drove over there. Sure enough, there was a dent in the door and sure enough again, it was the size of our bumper. Hubby and I have no idea how that happened, but it did. We were more embarrassed than upset, as we are not the type to run from an accident. Turns out, it was cheaper to buy the new door at $280 than to repair it for $500-$800 depending on what they found when they opened it up. We are headed to FL with friends for a month and will be sitting on the beach tomorrow afternoon... incident forgotten.
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty. Nick 25 y/o and Leif 6 1/2 yrs.
cruisegrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:55 PM   #75

See what you started DixieDawg??? After reading 8 pages of peoples mishaps, I can honestly say.... I don't want any of you guys campin' next to me!!! Who knows what might happen???

But seriously can you all imagine an Americas' Funniest Camping Video??
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #76

As you can see we have all been there. It doesn't make it any less painful but as said before no one got hurt and it can be fixed.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:22 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
See what you started DixieDawg??? After reading 8 pages of peoples mishaps, I can honestly say.... I don't want any of you guys campin' next to me!!! Who knows what might happen???

But seriously can you all imagine an Americas' Funniest Camping Video??
That would be a show I would watch!

Most important as stated: no one got hurt.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:45 PM   #78

As you can see you are in good company, we've all done something like that too! Mine was I was very busy looking for a site on the right and didn't make the "wide turn" that DW was saying to make and I got hung up on a shed that was way too close to the skinny road....I scratched the left side but nothing major other that a great lesson for me....WIDE TURNS!!! Don't beat yourself up, but I know you will. Happy Trails friend!
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 336 TSIK

Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #79
Site Team

You'll laugh about this later and won't be able to see the damaged area after repairs. Don't get us started on stupid accidents. This forum can't hold them all. Like the maiden 3 week trip from Louisiana to Montana, via Colorado and Wyoming. 4000 miles without one little problem. Backed the fifth wheel into my carport when I got home. Duh!

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:14 PM   #80

I don't feel so bad now reading everyone elses mishaps..... Last summer I caught my rear bumper on the corner of El Pollo Loco (fast food joint.) My bumper was sticking out 2 ft. with no offers of help around (unfriendly Metro LA.) I duck taped & bungee corded a red tablecloth with some ingenuity around the bumper. That $7,000. expensive mistake was a good reminder why to not get overconfident on my skills and to be more careful. But, really stupid only six wks. later I forget to pin my hitch on utility trailer in my driveway and it went into the back of my SUV. ( another $2,500.) I then learned: always check that I'm well chocked and hitch pin in. I couldn't bear to tell insurance about the second incident and had to suck it up, out of pocket. Ouch!
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote