Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2021, 07:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You can get as snarky with me as you want.....
Maybe you should read your own post and if what you say is true then you believe the Simple Physics of an extra 375 lbs added towing with a 1/2 ton truck doesn't make any difference at all. I guess the science here is False.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I too have a scale and like I said, only a fraction is added to the tongue weight. In your case just over 1/2.
So 20% increase is only a fraction? Hmmmm......
Old 04-10-2021, 07:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Cruiser Rod View Post
Nobody said the post has to be accurate. Like I've said in the past you have to take what is said on a forum with the same skepticism you have when offered "words of wisdom" from the guy at your local bar.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #24

Quote:
20% is also a fraction. 1/5th to be exact.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:45 PM   #25

We always fill up at home. If water is available at camp, we use that for washing dishes and any sink laundry. On multiple occasions we have entered campgrounds with newly posted signs that potable water was "currently " unavailable.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:30 AM   #26

Fill at home with a sure, trusted source. Who knows if they have water t a dry camping spot? And even if they do how trustworthy is it? I like to come prepared
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:11 AM   #27

We often carry freshwater... but not full black/grey-water anymore, if I can help it. On the plus side, the weight of any water, preferably full tanks, makes the RV more stable in high wind, if it matters and one plans to, or has to travel on such a day.

In a few cases, when we know that the campsite has reliable water, we leave home with whatever fresh-water is left in the tank. But we usually travel near full.

Partly because of the fracking, we now have rural water here in low population areas of ND, but I've seen it come out pretty cloudy anyway. Well water is a no-no because it sometimes tends to stink, especially if left in the hot water heater (sulphur, I think). Known clean water, we dump once a year only.

We drink bottled water or from re-filled Dollar Store 2qt jugs from home, but I brush my teeth with RV tap-water and I have used tank water for coffee a couple of times back when we were low.

The black-water load-avoidance paranoia came from a time when one of our sons was suddenly injured at home and was due for surgery, so we left camp quickly without dumping. We had a TT and the black and grey abs tanks were mounted on a pair of angle irons along the tank-half mid-splice. These tanks are moulded in two halves and cemented together. The seams hold well, but...

The problem was that when we hit bumps on the way to the hospital, the tanks bellied out badly, which would have been ok if there hadn't been solidly mounted abs drain pipe connected to the lower halves. The belly bumping action caused the pipe connection point to crack right along the bottom, causing a nasty waste leak in our enclosed bottom. Of the two, the 'relatively cleaner' full grey tank survived of course.

Understandably, no plastic shop was wild about repairing it, in that case requiring me to disconnect the toilet and in-wall vent pipe, remove the tank, thoroughly clean it and bring it in.

So I repaired it in place with the thickest abs pipe dope that Menard's carried, layers and layers of 2" fiberglass tape , a set of total reinforcement steel bands cushioned with nylon seat belt fabric under the tank and perforated plumbing straps particularly right under the repair point. I also had a couple of rags, one for dripping cement on my arms, the other for dripping sewage, same spot, when I first started. Ick. I did some of my best work fixing it. Plus I've traveled empty thereafter. There was no way I was going to do that gross job again.

If anyone has a suspicion that their water tank can burst or fall from bumps, they should check the mounting now or drain it upon departure. Water tanks are normally made of polyethylene and can only be repaired by welding, that is melting filler into a tear or hole. I suppose a guy could take an asbestos rag under there for dripping hot plastic and weld upside down laying under it.

Wes
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:36 AM   #28

When we are going to be boondocking I put 60 gals in the fresh water tank and then another 60 in the collapsible water container that sits in the bed of the truck. We use bottled water as I have had beaver fever when camped in a campground in southern Alberta. When traveling to and from the west or anywhere where we use campgrounds overnight I put 20 gallons in the fresh water tank for using the toilet and washing hands while traveling.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:10 AM   #29
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Maybe you should read your own post and if what you say is true then you believe the Simple Physics of an extra 375 lbs added towing with a 1/2 ton truck doesn't make any difference at all. I guess the science here is False.
I'll go back to my original post and ask you the question again.... does your vehicle get a tremendous increase in fuel mileage when the fuel tank is near empty than what it does right after you fill it?

Which science do you want to believe?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:51 AM   #30

My In-laws previous camper was only a couple years old at the time and on the second or maybe third time traveling with the fresh water tank full, well it fell out going down the road. Straps that hold the tank broke. So, now even with my Heritage Glen I hate to travel with water because of that factor. Not because my truck cant handle it. I get that it just may have been faulty straps. I have traveled a couple times full, but always in the back of my mind.
scottnlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:36 AM   #31

Quote:
You evidently already have your mind made up about carrying water or not when traveling, and why it is/isn't a good idea, so I'm perplexed about why you asked the question. Where you get water no longer matters as it will not be from your home.
You got some great answers from very experienced RVers like 5picker and then get snarky when they offer advice and facts which differ from your preconceptions.
Carry water, don't carry water, you will eventually figure out what makes you feel better.
We never think twice about always travelling with a full fresh tank, but that is just us. Others feel differently for various reasons, some factual, some not.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:01 PM   #32

I heard it from some guy on the internet, it must be true.
Do want what ever you want.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:04 AM   #33

I fill up at, or as close to the campsite as possible. I travel with about 10 gallons in the tank. I drink the water in the freshwater tank in the trailer.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:22 AM   #34
Insert witty title here

I travel with full water tank. I do this for 2 reasons.

1. In case I get to where I'm going and potable water is hard to find.

2. The added tongue weight increases trailer stability

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:04 PM   #35
Pseudonym

I fill up water at my house. I have a water filter right after my meter to filter the whole house. I don't know anything about any water anywhere else. I like knowing my water is from a municipal source and is clean.
BrandonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #36

Was Flint, Michigan's city water clean? Just sayin'.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:40 PM   #37
Steve from Maine

Full Tank

I have never noticed a difference with my fresh tank being at different levels. It is such a small percentage of weight. I like the convenience and piece of mind being full.
Actually I can't even usually tell I am towing my jeep.
10CU.F GE dc only fridge
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2008 Yamaha WR250R
jaudet71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:59 PM   #38

Quote:
When dry camping do you get your water at the campsite or take it from your home?
I bring mine from home, however, I don’t drink tank water I drink bottled water. my Tank water is for washing dishes and cleaning things.
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaudet71 View Post
I have never noticed a difference with my fresh tank being at different levels. It is such a small percentage of weight. I like the convenience and piece of mind being full.
Actually I can't even usually tell I am towing my jeep.
I agree. I’m sure it is negligible.
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:32 PM   #40

Quote:
When dry camping do you get your water at the campsite or take it from your home?
We usually fill our water tanks from our home if we have never been there before .
McFarren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water