Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #1

Where/How to mount a TV in a 2018 Clipper 17BHS

Hey all so we just went on our first trip with our new TT and we had a blast. Have the next trip scheduled in a month. Would like to have a TV mounted if possible but need some help. Are there actually studs in my trailer that the TV mount will mount to? Do I use a stud finder? Sorry for the dumb questions but if anyone has this TT and can help me out on this that would be great. I already have received great help advice on this forum already.
smejico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:56 PM   #2

The so called studs in a RV are actually a 1 1/2” board or cardboard facsimile support not uniformly spaced and may be detected by a stud finder. Looking at the online brochure, it looks like you have antenna outlet under a cabinet next to the door. I would just transport the tv on the bed and put it on the counter when stopped.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	180394
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #3

I guess I should have provided a picture sorry my connections are on the other side of the door on the ceiling. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4185.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	180417
Old 07-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #4

I’d be real careful mounting to an outer wall. It’s thin and a bobo will be bad. Lots of manufacturers place a plywood backer where the tv would mount. Think I’d call coachmen before I would proceed.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #5

I have the same trailer. I will take a pic of how i mounted my 20" flat screen dvd combo tomorrow. But there is a backer for mounting a tv, above the window in your picture. Push around that area you will be able to feel it, since the wall board is so soft.
k2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2500 View Post
I have the same trailer. I will take a pic of how i mounted my 20" flat screen dvd combo tomorrow. But there is a backer for mounting a tv, above the window in your picture. Push around that area you will be able to feel it, since the wall board is so soft.

That would be great for pictures, I don’t want to mess anything up. So I will definitely take all the help I can get. So behind the wall board is a backer that I will be able to put a tv mount directly into?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:50 PM   #7

I meant to also say, that the backing is slightly to the top right corner of that window. Basicaly plumb down from the two coax conections. 3/4"-1" mini lag screws are what you will want to mount the tv with.

Mounting the TV was the first thing i did the trailer after i cleaned up all the metal shavings and wood filler the factory workers left and smeard everywhere.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smejico View Post
That would be great for pictures, I don’t want to mess anything up. So I will definitely take all the help I can get. So behind the wall board is a backer that I will be able to put a tv mount directly into?
yes, my trailer even had a sticker, that said mount tv here. i might still be there.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #9

Quote:
yes, my trailer even had a sticker, that said mount tv here. i might still be there.

Ok great you guys are a blessing on this site especially to a complete novice like myself. I will wait for your pictures and any other recommendations you might have for me.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:08 PM   #10

This is my second trailer. But im brand new to this forum. I just got my clipper before the fourth of july. I wished my intierior looked like yours. I was looking for information online, and was thinking maybe there is a coachmen forum, and found this site. Funny there are forums for everything.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #11

Quote:
This is my second trailer. But im brand new to this forum. I just got my clipper before the fourth of july. I wished my intierior looked like yours. I was looking for information online, and was thinking maybe there is a coachmen forum, and found this site. Funny there are forums for everything.

This is my first and this one is just the right size for us, our SUV can tow it and it fits in my driveway. [emoji6]
I have a power tongue jack arriving tomorrow to install this weekend and then after TV mount and antenna extension for my voyager camera I will have to stop on buying things for it. I was thinking TV mount with quick release so I can remove it when traveling, any thoughts on that?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:26 PM   #12

Quote:
I guess I should have provided a picture sorry my connections are on the other side of the door on the ceiling. Attachment 180417
My coworker just bought the same trailer and was asking about mounting a Tv. One idea I suggested if he wasn't sure about securing to the wall was to mount on a swing arm to the cabinet above the bed in the corner (visible in the pic). We talked about a plywood backing plate inside the cabinet that the mount could bolt to thus giving a sandwich type effect and additional support. Just another thought. Looking forward to the pics.

m
hybridlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:29 PM   #13

Quote:
This is my first and this one is just the right size for us, our SUV can tow it and it fits in my driveway. [emoji6]
I have a power tongue jack arriving tomorrow to install this weekend and then after TV mount and antenna extension for my voyager camera I will have to stop on buying things for it. I was thinking TV mount with quick release so I can remove it when traveling, any thoughts on that?
I just bought a cheapie mount, and 20" proscan tv from amazon. If you look up that tv on amazon, they show what other people have bought with that tv, and thats how i got the mount i used.

This setup was actually purchased for our last trailer. The mount is one that you can extend out, rotate and swivel. I leave the tv mounted all the time. I installed hooks just below and above the tv, I then use a bungie cord cord on those hooks to keep the tv firmly held against the wall. Except our last trip i forgort to do that when we left, and we were camped 15 miles out a rugged dirt road. I when i got home the tv swung away from the wall, but was ok.

One cool thing is that tv has a headphone type output for sound, and i got cord from amazon to plug into the jensen stereo on input mode. This is really nice since these tvs have horrible sound.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #14

Here are the pics of my flat screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8671.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	180556   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8672.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	180557   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8673.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	180558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8674.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	180559  
Old 07-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #15

Cool deal thanks for the pictures that really helps now I have to get a mount. I really appreciate the help on this from you and everyone else. I will post back when it is done.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #16

I mounted mine where k2500 has his, but I remove the TV while towing. I didn't want to take a chance having it bust off with the thin walls and all that bouncing.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #17

I got one that from reading the reviews seems to release the tv from the arm rather simple as I do not plan on traveling with mine connected. Won’t be delivered until Tuesday so I will post pictures after it is installed.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #18

Im going to risk it, and leave mine up all the time. I just need to be sure to use the strap to keep it closer to the wall. If it dose come off, i will own up and let you guys know.

Our clipper is set up with the offroad road package and we have certainly used it that way, durring our first two outings.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #19

Ok guys mount arrived today. I have an older tv that we want to utilize if possible. Need some input: the TV I think weighs 10.36lbs, is that too heavy and should I use an additional piece of wood to mount to the RV stud and then mount the TV mount to that board? Thoughts?? The TV is a Sharp LC19SB24U. Thank you all. Also if your answer is buy a new TV let me know that also. [emoji6]. I don’t want to but will if it risk the TT not being able to support it.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:49 PM   #20

I think my tv is six or seven pounds. I dont think adding an additional piece of wood is necessary, since you mentioned you were going to take the tv down, while in transit. Just mount you tv through the backer in the wall and you should be fine.

What size is your current tv?

Tags
mount