I replaced mine. It was fairly easy- just a couple of screws, maybe drill out a rivet, and some very minor 12v wiring.
My symptoms were the awning wouldn't run itself in or out. It made all of the noises like it was trying, but wouldn't actually turn:
The 2 biggest challenge was #1, accepting that a new motor costs $300-400
and #2, getting the right color. If you have to get the wrong color (white vs. black), you can switch the pieces that connect to the arm pretty easily.
I got lucky and did it at a campsite where I had a tree just away from the awning. I was able to tie that corner off to hold it up. Otherwise, I had to use a ladder at a different campsite while I did some troubleshooting.
Ok, so some pictures. First I took things apart to get a better look at them:
You have to unplug the 12v wire that comes up the awning arm.
Using an allen wrench, unscrew the screws from the white cap:
It pulls off of the power awning roller tube pretty easily:
I removed the silver piece from the end:
And then I stopped and buttoned it all up as we had to move campsites.
At the next stop, I had a helper (horray for people who actually know what they're doing!) and the helpfully positioned tree:
It's hard to see, but the motor is attached to a portion of the white body which connects to the arm of the camper. I had to buy a black motor because that's all that was available to me locally and couldn't have anything shipped at the time.
It was easy enough to take apart:
I did the steps in reverse - connected the white stuff to the motor. Rewired the quick connect for power to the motor (the new body piece was slightly different than the old one and I couldn't pull the quick connector through). And then a few screws, maybe a rivet, and bingo/bango, bob's your uncle.
NOW- if you muck with the non-motor side, be aware that there is a spring in there that wants to tear itself through your hand and possibly eyeball.
But the motor side had no such haunts.