Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #1

adding outlet

Has anyone added electric outlet to the inside wall, offset from the outside outlet ? I have a slideout that has the outside outlet on it. The slide is basically a couch but no outlet on the same side. I have to run an extension cord from opposite wall if I want to power a small lamp or my pc. I can remove couch to access the wall. Just checking to see if any one else has done this and what I can to expect to run into. Thanks for any info and or pictures.
ruddie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddie66 View Post
Has anyone added electric outlet to the inside wall, offset from the outside outlet ? I have a slideout that has the outside outlet on it. The slide is basically a couch but no outlet on the same side. I have to run an extension cord from opposite wall if I want to power a small lamp or my pc. I can remove couch to access the wall. Just checking to see if any one else has done this and what I can to expect to run into. Thanks for any info and or pictures.
shouldnt be an issue, i know they dont put to many outlets in these things. i wish there was a few more in mine.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:45 AM   #3

We ran into that same problem after buying our 2015 Coachmen TT, not a toy hauler. My gf does medical transcribing and can make money while we camp using her laptop. Our slide has the couch and small dinette and no outlet built into the slide. She had to run an extension cord also for the laptop and a small lamp. I tied into a 120vAC outlet in the front bedroom, ran 12-2 w/ground Romex along the frame until I got to where the wiring for the 12vDC LED lamps in the slide were. At that point I added a 2 x 4 electrical box to the frame, ran the Romex into that then mated those to some 12-2 w/ground stranded wire for flexibility. I ran the stranded wire along side the wires for the 12vDC using tie wraps to secure the new wire. I then drilled a new hole in the floor of the slide up against the wall for the new wiring to enter the slide. Once in the slide I used plastic wire way to direct the stranded wire to where I wanted to add two (2) additional 120vAC outlets, one came up behind the top of the couch and the other was above the seating of the dinette. She found some 120vAC duplex outlets that also had USB charging ports built in so I used those. This set-up has worked well for her and the g'kid's can charge their phones/tablets. This was one mad that has paid off really well.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
Site Team

If I understand correctly, you have a receptacle on the outside wall and want to place one on the inside wall just offset from the outside outlet and place a jumper wire between the outside outlet and inside outlet. That should be pretty easy to do. Just make sure you don't wind up on the opposite side of a stud.

You'll need to get either a shallow box or one of the stab type receptacles like they use in the rest of the RV.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #5

Adding an outlet

I would think it's going to depend on the type of construction of your trailer . If it is stick and tin, it should be easy, if on the other hand if it is aluminum frame with styrofoam walls construction then it's going to be a lot more difficult unless you surface mount it.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote