Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2017, 02:01 PM   #1

Hard Wired Surge Protector

Just purchased a new 2017 Puma 373QSI toyhauler. I want to install an hard wired surge protector/EMS and have not been able to find any specific info for the Puma. I would prefer to install the unit behind the breaker panel next to the stove unit. Has anyone made this installation or know of a reason it should not be installed there? This is a 50 amp system.
Va John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Progressive Industries is the best in the industry for what you're looking for.

progressive industries.net

AND.....something the others don't offer.....lifetime warranty. That speaks volumes for their product line.

Others that know will chime in.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va John View Post
Just purchased a new 2017 Puma 373QSI toyhauler. I want to install an hard wired surge protector/EMS and have not been able to find any specific info for the Puma. I would prefer to install the unit behind the breaker panel next to the stove unit. Has anyone made this installation or know of a reason it should not be installed there? This is a 50 amp system.
You can mount it where ever you want to , as long as you have the room and not in a wet location
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #4

You have two issues to address:
1. Is there enough room for the box?
2. Can you run the wire for the remote display to where you want to mount it? The cable is similar to telephone line WITH the connector, so you will need a hole of about 1/2 inch.

I initially wanted to mount mine next to the rest of the power switches and thermostat. Discovered there were several support boards behind the paneling I would have to go thru. Found a different spot for the display.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #5

I opted for the portable version for a BIG reason. Is this the last RV you will own? Will you keep it forever? If not, go portable. As stated above, it has a lifetime warranty. That warranty on a hard wired unit will end as soon as you sell your rig and leave it in there. Then you have to buy a new one. I will just take mine with me. Bought a lock for it just in case too. Works great.

Old TV- 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport (Hemi)- towing vehicle

DanoHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #6

Some have suggested mounting it with 50 amp male and female plugs on each end, rather than just internally hard wired - so that it can be removed easily if selling your rig or the EMS unit needs service. This would allow simple method of returning to stock.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #7

What's nice about Progressive Industries is there is an external read out available. The external read out can be mounted somewhere convenient if you want to see what's going on with the power, good to know when plugging in.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #8

Hard wire surge protector

I put mine right where the shore power comes into the trailer. I wouldn't be with out it!!!
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
Some have suggested mounting it with 50 amp male and female plugs on each end, rather than just internally hard wired - so that it can be removed easily if selling your rig or the EMS unit needs service. This would allow simple method of returning to stock.

Different camper but that's exactly how I mounted mine in my Sabre 34TBOK. I used range plugs/outlets and pulled the unit from my totaled fiver after our accident two years ago. Made it very easy and I just plugged the wires back together to re-complete the circuit in that camper. Two new ends and I was good to go in new camper. I'd highly recommend and PI unit as others said. It's saved us numerous times and the remote display is very helpful, especially when we only have 30a available.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:19 PM   #10

My unit is hard wired but I had to make a small wooden stand to mount it up right. It can be mounted in many ways but not on its back because it has drop out relays.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #11
World Wide Wanderer

I have used both hard mounted and portables. Friend of mine pointed out a huge advantage to the portable... he checks the power posts BEFORE he backs his rig in. He has had more than a few campgrounds with bad power pedestals. By plugging the EMS in first he knows if he will need to move on down to another one before setting up.

PI is the hands down industry leader. Won't use anything but... now.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:28 PM   #12

Mine is in here....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1485307663.083509.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	128590

It as a night stand between the recliners.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #13

I installed a Progressive unit today (30 amp). Installation went smoothly. I wanted mine inside to avoid theft plus I'm a bit anal about electrical things and enjoy checking the readouts frequently. Won't be difficult to remove if I so decide.

Bought mine from Amazon.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingsilver View Post
My unit is hard wired but I had to make a small wooden stand to mount it up right. It can be mounted in many ways but not on its back because it has drop out relays.
???

That's news to me. Nowhere in a Progressive Industries install manual does it tell you not to mount it on its back. This is the 3rd trailer I have had them on and I mounted all of them flat on the floor in the space behind the converter. Did you find that requirement somewhere in the docs or on the website?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
You have two issues to address:
1. Is there enough room for the box?
2. Can you run the wire for the remote display to where you want to mount it? The cable is similar to telephone line WITH the connector, so you will need a hole of about 1/2 inch.

I initially wanted to mount mine next to the rest of the power switches and thermostat. Discovered there were several support boards behind the paneling I would have to go thru. Found a different spot for the display.
Similar, as in the plugs are the same, but they do something different in the wiring such as reverse the direction of the connections on the ends. I found out the hard way fishing a 4 conductor phone cable to the remote location as the supplied one was not long enough. It will not work despite the provided cable from P.I. being 4 conductor also. I never had time to dissect the P.I. cable to see exactly why.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
I took the plug/socket approach. For others considering the same, remember to mount the female socket on the hot side of the supply wire. That way you're never exposed to prongs on an energized plug. Common sense? Yes, but common sense isn't always common.

Also, consider using locking plug/socket pairs so they don't jiggle apart while bouncing down the road.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
???

That's news to me. Nowhere in a Progressive Industries install manual does it tell you not to mount it on its back. This is the 3rd trailer I have had them on and I mounted all of them flat on the floor in the space behind the converter. Did you find that requirement somewhere in the docs or on the website?
Sorry, mine is a TRC 34560 Surge Guard.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #18

FWIW...I didn't use the plugs. I hardwired mine. a few reasons. 1. plugs are expensive. 2. more time for install 3. no immediate thoughts of changing RVs 4. just rewire if/when needed 5. another place for a bad connections 6. changing RVs would mean leaving plugs or removing and rewiring

The only instant thing I see as a benefit is you could remove one the road and be back in action. You could rewire if needed in a short time. This is assuming you know how. JMO
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:46 PM   #19

Mounted ours beside the transfer switch on the shore power input side.
No EMS needed for generator.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQGUY View Post
Mounted ours beside the transfer switch on the shore power input side.
No EMS needed for generator.
I'm just speculating here as my TT does not have a generator, but wouldn't it be best to run both inputs through the EMS? Couldnt a generator malfunction and be off in voltage or cycles, enough to cause damage?
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote