Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 05:12 AM   #21

Finally got the trailers dealer time done and it's back home with a LONG list of mods sitting here waiting for it. Finally have the 50A conversion done and second a/c installed. The spare tire got drug two weeks ago, so I pulled it down and am going to relocate the tire and winch further forward toward the axles. I've also finally got OC's brackets and turb's poles powdercoated and ready to install, along with a dimmer for the awning lights. Before our last trip out I rekeyed the rear door so both locks use the same key after little mishap with the wrong key in the rear door that ended with a broken tumbler and key. There is a warning on the inside handle to not put the wrong key in the wrong lock. Be careful, it warns, and I can vouch that it doesn't end well. Peace of mind that it will never happen again was work the $20.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #22

Finally got a free Saturday with decent weather and working on my list of mods. Spare tire relocation was my biggest concern so I dove into it first. I ordered the trailer without a fuel cell, so that's where the winch now sits, about 5 feet forward of where it was, and no longer at the very rear of the trailer.

Having a full mobile shop helps. Bracket made.

Test fit with the tire. The rest of the pic is washed out but the necessary parts are clear.

Everything looks good so now its time to take it all apart, and paint it all up before final installation at which point I'll use matching length hardware, washers and stover locknuts.

While the paint was drying I wired up a dimmer for the awning LED lights also. Still have awning poles and brackets to install (all powdercoated now), but we leave for the mountains of Virginia Friday at 6AM and the truck and trailer both need a bath first. Will see what I can get done.
2016 Nights camped 5
Old 09-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #23

Ferg, I really wish you were my neighbor for a month or so! Your fab skills are very impressive! I will probably do the same before the cold weather and rain sets in for winter. Right now the spare is in the garage area of the TH next to the RZR spare tire.
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwilliams101 View Post
Ferg, I really wish you were my neighbor for a month or so! Your fab skills are very impressive! I will probably do the same before the cold weather and rain sets in for winter. Right now the spare is in the garage area of the TH next to the RZR spare tire.
Thanks! This one really was pretty easy. I had given it a bunch of thought (which is normal) and went right to steel without any drawings (not so normal). I'm pretty anal about making things look factory or better. Think I got Lippert beat on this one. Debated welding it all together but given inconsistent measurements between the crossmembers bolting has more flexibility. Got about 4 hours in it before paint. Could have been faster but when I pulled the winch down I realized I would need a plate to mount it so the crank would be pointed toward the right side. I found a piece that was just big enough and torch cut it and ground it down clean. That ate some time. Again, never put it to paper, oops. Still debating if I leave the crank as is, or maybe weld a cheap 19mm swivel socket to it and extend it out under the frame rail. Right now, it will keep honest people honest as you have to crawl under the trailer to lower it.

This was my old toyhauler and had a bit more fabwork in it. 2 trailers joined together. I used to 4 wheel and had a jeep. This let me have the camper and jeep, though I was pissed at the jeep, built the trailer, then sold the jeep before I took it out on the trailer. We just used it as a little camper with a big deck. BTW, it had airbags under it so I could air it up and pull it off the big trailer in about 15 minutes if I needed the full deck. I had prints for that one!

2016 Nights camped 5
Old 09-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #25

Well, the new tire holder worked out pretty good for the most part. Made around a 600 mile trip to Crozet VA over the weekend. Checked it just outside of Harrisburg PA and all was good. Checked it again in Luray, VA and found it loose. I guess from the cable being unwound and rewound with little to no weight, it pulled tighter. The truck winch has a big spring on it, but the trailer winch only has a little rubber donut to take up slack. Tightened it up in Luray and it's stayed tight 400+ miles since. Successful trip, still need to get the awning poles done, but most other mods are handled.
2016 Nights camped 5
Old 10-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #26

Couple measurment question

Could someone tell me the height of the beds when raised up, trying to see if I can make this trailer work for my needs. Also is the 12' height advertised including the A/C on top? Thanks in advance

Kevin
kpfishin is offline   Reply With Quote