Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #1

New Columbus 3600TH

I finally got my new 5th wheel toy hauler!
It has a few problems that were found either during the PDI or during the maiden voyage. I took it out for 4 day/3 nights to find everything wrong. There were a number of things that have to be fixed before the RV is usable. I was curious if anyone else could chime in with whether this is a "normal" list or if I got a bad unit.

Things to fix before trailer is usable:
1.) This creature apparently has two grey water tanks. Tank one is the shower and bathroom sink. Tank two is the kitchen sink and washer hook up. Grey tank two will not drain!
2.) Front Awning rear support caulking cracked/missing. This seems to be a possible entry point for water to get inside and cause problems. What should I look for to determine whether any damage has been done?
3.) Shower leaks into pass through storage. What should I look for to determine if any damage has been done?

Things to fix (do not affect trailer usability, but need to be fixed)
1.) ODS Scare light doesn’t work. This worked during the PDI, but was not working once I arrived at the campground.
2.) Awning rope lights don't work. Rear awning rope light worked for about an hour and then front half of light stopped working. Forward awning rope light never worked. I did not know I had these (missed during the PDI) until I was at the campground and saw them at night. If neither light had worked, I probably still wouldn't know I had them.
3.) Forward step light doesn’t work
4.) Forward door latch needs adjustment (have to slam door from inside in order to latch). Missed during PDI as I never closed the door from the inside. I didn't notice the amount of force required to close the door until I was camping.
5.) Bathroom door latch needs adjustment. You have to push the handle up to open the door. Pushing the handle down will not move the latching thingy enough to open the door.
6.) Living room TV. (This was found during the PDI, and was supposed to be fixed before I took delivery. I trusted them when they told me it was fixed and didn't test it.) No sound through sound bar
TV has coaxial digital sound out
Sound bar has optical digital sound in
Adapter is optical to coaxial; Needs to be coaxial to optical
7.) Patio rail screen driver’s side from the rail to the garage wall, stitching coming undone. (Not found during PDI, as I didn't unfold the rails).

8.) Many of the AC vents have chunks of Styrofoam in them. I got sprayed with styrofoam nuggets when I first turned on the AC. I'm worried that the chunks may be blocking some of the air flow. Also, I'm wondering where they came from and are they a sign of some other problem that needs to be fixed. During the PDI, I used the "Quick Cool" feature and just had the cold air blow direct from the ACs to check operation. I didn't think to look into the vents.
9.) Rear screen (Garage to patio screen); has a gap of two inches between the driver's side wall. Screen is not attached in any way to the sides and just flaps in the breeze. Screen is not "square" to the trailer. It's pretty crooked; by several inches. Also the screen holder (at the top) was not attached on one side and was just laying on the lift bed. It was attached on one side by double sided tape, but was laying loose on the other side. This was noticed during the PDI and the entire screen unit is supposed to be replaced.
10.) Black tank flush is apparently clogged or blocked somewhere. There are two inlets, one labeled "Black Tank Flush", the other not labeled. Both inlets are blocked or clogged. I'm not sure if the second inlet is for a grey tank flush or what it may be, but it doesn't do anything.

I have not tested the generator under a load, nor have I tested the DVD player (I've got a blu-ray player that I'll be using and don't plan on even using the built-in DVD player). I did not get an owners manual for the convection/microwave oven, but figure I can download one once I get the trailer back from the dealership and get the model number. I put a small amount of water into the fresh water tank and pressure checked the system during the PDI. No problems were noted, but I have not used the onboard fresh water tank.

Is this a normal amount of things to find wrong with a new unit ?
I expected to find some items based on my readings here and on other RV forums, but this seemed just a bit more than I really expected. The unit went back to the dealership on April 22nd for all the fixes. I do not have a date on when they expect to have the unit back to me yet (its now May 5th). Anyone have any idea how long these type of repairs should take?

I really like this unit. The floor plan is almost perfect for me. The only thing I would change is to make the living room slide just a little smaller so I could get to the bathroom without having to extend the slide.

Thanks for reading a rather long post.
V-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #2

That sounds like a lot of issues to me. I would head over the Columbus owners group on facebook as there is a lot of people on there and they should be able to give you a good idea. I know there has been some big turnover of staff at the Columbus factory so this may explain why there is some shoddy work. Regardless, the dealer needs to take care of you.
madbare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #3

We just picked up our 3400TH 2 weeks ago.

The sound bar did not work with the tv either. I finally took a 3.5mm cable and went from the headphone jack on the tv to the aux in on the stereo.

My ramp is not aligned correctly. On a bright day you can just see light along the upper right seal inside.

A little disappointed that my sewer hose does not fit into the sewer storage tube. Thinking about either cutting down the lugs on the hose or just changing out the storage tube completely.

Enjoy your Columbus.

Yes join the Facebook Columbus group!
firezapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbus