Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2020, 12:59 AM   #1

Smile New to the Puma Trailer (27QBC)

I just bought a 2020 Puma 27QBC Toyhauler. We have wanted a toy hauler for a while now and last week pulled the trigger. I have been around trailers a fair amount but this is my first purchase brand new. We kinda did it on a whim... I didn't do much research into Puma other than it was the cheapest toy hauler for the size that I needed. After doing some online searching (not this site) I've seen a few people saying that they've had horrible roof leaks with this model. Any one having this problem? I'm kinda freaking out and having some buyers remorse that I bought the "cheap" line of trailer. Please Help me out and give me some positive feed back on this model. We're super excited to have the trailer just A little worried about some of the reviews i saw on other web sites. Thanks and happy to be on the forum with so many other rv enthusiasts.
Helijensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #2

Let me reassure you a little. While you may have bought a cheaper trailer (Nothing wrong with that), a large majority of the trailers are built the same way when it comes to roof construction. Most have one of two types of rubber or membrane roof that are glued to ply or fiber board roofing and sealed around the edges with trim and dicor self leveling sealant along with the cutouts for AC's, Antenna's, vent stacks for plumbing and refrigerators, etc being sealed.

Water intrusion is the thing that kills most RV's. Doing regular roof inspections is the (in my opinion) the most important part of RV maintenance. AT least quarterly, I get on my roof and inspect the sealant, looking for places the sealant has cracked or come up from the rubber roof and fixing those area's.

Takes less than 15-20 minutes to do a full roof inspection and add in another 15-20 minutes to do most resealing jobs.

Also check your corners of the trailer, windows, doors, etc. Anyplace the solid walls, front or back of the trailer has been cut (for plugs, doors, windows, connection fittings, etc) or ends.

Here are a couple videos to help you understand what is required in a roof inspection. As I mentioned, don't think it's just the roof. Check all seams, edges and intrusions into the 4 walls as well.

Relax and enjoy your Puma. Roof damage isn't specific to one make or model. It's usually specific to someone that didn't do enough to prevent it.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:29 AM   #3

Thank you I appreciate the videos!
Old 04-04-2020, 12:32 PM   #4

I have owned my Puma 298fqu toy hauler since May 2010 and it is the most trouble free RV I have ever owned. I would definitely buy another Puma toy hauler. As CincyGus stated, most RV use the same materials when it comes to roofs, ramp doors, etc. Just be sure to do regular inspections and maintenance, and enjoy your trailer
centaur820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:57 PM   #5

Being the owner of a mostly trouble free Puma, and also having sold them at two different dealerships, I would say that they are one of the better quality less expensive RVs. The techs at both dealerships liked them also, because they hardly ever saw them. RVs all use mostly the same components, wood, glue and screws. Proper and regular maintenance is the key to trouble free RV ownership.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:57 PM   #6

I have the 27qbc. We love it. I don’t know where people think it’s a cheap trailer. Yes it is not a $100,000 RV. But there are more inexpensive Toyhauler s out there. My belief is that it is the best value. I have been able to do some mods on mine. It fits my needs. I would rather go camping then making big payments to get the same enjoyment. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4087.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	226260

I ordered mine from factory with options I wanted. Mine has on board generator, night shades, fiberglass front cap,rear queen bed that rises. IMO you made a great choice.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:27 PM   #7

Thank guys for your feed back! It makes me feel much better about the purchase. Cant wait for this quarantine stuff to be over so we can get out and enjoy the trailer!
Old 04-04-2020, 11:59 PM   #8

And just to show you that I walk the talk, Pics of my freshly cleaned roof today which afterwards, I did my roof inspection. Found a couple places I'm going to touch up tomorrow and I also have some eterno-bond I'm applying to the front, side and back seams as an early precautionary act.

[IMG]
Click For Full-Size Image.[/IMG]
Old 04-05-2020, 01:28 PM   #9

The picture didn’t show
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:05 PM   #10

Have a 2017 Puma 31RLQS, it has been trouble free and has a better layout than many other more expensive trailers. I'll take a stick and tin any day and I have owned both over 40 years of RV's.
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #11

Front yard camping this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4EE00488-E7EB-446D-87EB-780E6C6B9231.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	226787  
Old 04-12-2020, 05:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helijensen View Post
I just bought a 2020 Puma 27QBC Toyhauler. We have wanted a toy hauler for a while now and last week pulled the trigger. I have been around trailers a fair amount but this is my first purchase brand new. We kinda did it on a whim... I didn't do much research into Puma other than it was the cheapest toy hauler for the size that I needed. After doing some online searching (not this site) I've seen a few people saying that they've had horrible roof leaks with this model. Any one having this problem? I'm kinda freaking out and having some buyers remorse that I bought the "cheap" line of trailer. Please Help me out and give me some positive feed back on this model. We're super excited to have the trailer just A little worried about some of the reviews i saw on other web sites. Thanks and happy to be on the forum with so many other rv enthusiasts.
We have owned two Pumas. The later was a 356QLB toyhauler. Both were great trailers and I would definitely buy another.

My opinion PUMAS are the best trailers for the money.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
puma, trailer