Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2021, 10:44 PM   #1

Puma Unleashed 351THSS - Slide Hitch Required?

I will soon have a 351THSS. The seller highly recommends a slide hitch for a Ford short (6'-8") bed, which is also what I have (2010 F350 CC FX4). This sounds odd on any modern rig, but he did break his rear cab window with the corner of the fifth wheel when turning tight, he estimated 75°.

1) Can anyone else out there with the Puma Unleashed 351THSS tell me whether they also have the same (or near) experience? How many degrees can you go?

2) My truck has a BW gooseball hitch. I don't have rails. I like the idea of an Andersen hitch that can connect to the gooseball, or a gooseball extension for the hitch box (though I don't like the potential for so much torque on that box when it is mostly designed for shear forces). Do any of you run extensions or Andersen, and how big a problem is tight turns?

3) If I decide to go with something like a slide hitch (Husky or something like that), how big a deal is it to install rails, knowing that there is already BW hardware mounted under there?

Please help answer any of those that you can, I expect to pick this thing up next week and need to buy whatever it takes for me to haul it.

THANK YOU !!!
nazdackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:35 AM   #2

I went with a Andersen 3220, it looks like there will be plenty of offset to protect the 5th wheel nose... I'll take a picture later...
nazdackster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, puma, slide