Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #61

I tracks

I was asked about the track mods I installed in my garage of my Unleashed toyhauler. these are terrific. I have a lot of stuff on the floor, so I had limited space to take my images. The two with the tire chocks, are in front, for the quad. With the quad loaded, a folding shelf fits perfectly and doesn't touch.
The two parallel rails are in the center of the bay, 5 ft, with two more one on each edge. Solid attachment with 1 inch screws every three inches.
the wall panels are 2 feet long, attached to a 3/8 ply panel, that is glued to the wall, with the screw driven into the stud that the bed lift is attached to. Very solid. the extra diamond plate paneling is easily glued to the wall, and works great to prevent scuffing of the wall paper.
The existing floor attachments absolutely suck. Half inch screws, barely cut into the floor. Not impressed.
My solution WORKS for me.
Click image for larger version

Name:	tirechocks.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	156196

Name:	wall track.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	156199

Name:	floor track.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	156200
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #62

rails

Hankpac,

thanks again for the info and pics! looks great. Due to the lack of external storage on mine, I have to keep a lot of stuff in the garage not to mention when we bring the golf cart or motorcycles so this is a great solution. That is the one thing about the 359thks is that has zero external storage unless you count the generator box at the front.

It's hard to tell from the pics but how high do the rails stick up from the ground? if it's a trip hazard for the kids I need to figure out placement and/or ways to cover them.
heliwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #63

Height of track.

I haven't measure it and of course I considered the same issue. The tracks are rounded on top, and don't catch my feet when I walk across. The ends are sharp, and an accessory to obtain is the ramped track ends. poke them into the end, and run a short screw in to hold it and issue averted. Since I know the first place my grandkids are going to stick their fingers in, is the track openings, getting them caught or cut, I solved the issue by obtaining a area rug in 10X12. After unloading the quad and the junk (chairs, ladder, storage box, etc) I throw out the carpet. Makes it look really nice in there, the floor (which is super slippery when wet) is nice, and the bumps from the tracks are hardly noticeable. Any carpet the right size will do. If it is cheap, when it gets dirty it wont break you heart to dump it in the trash and replace it. In the photo with the tire chocks, the carpet is rolled up next to them. It lays on the floor, rolled up, between the quad and the wall.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnys_walkers View Post
Do you need both bunks?
We took the top one out as we don't need the bunks. On the lower bunk, I made a wooden frame seperator and the DW obtained some plastic storage containers and we use it for dry storage as these toyhaulers are short on storage.
On the bottom of the lower bunk I also installed a 12V flouresent light as they seem to be dark in the back. I wired it into one of the wiring harness's that power the rear inside lights. As the bottom of the bunk is white it reflects all the light down. By lowering the bunk to a reasonable height also allows more light over the table unit.

John
Great Idea on the beds. We will never use the beds but for extra storage that would work awesome. My wife was complaining theres no cloth storage in the coach. As a guy its hard for me to see that I pack in 15 min and I travel on a motorcycle for days
Hollywoodgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
I was asked about the track mods I installed in my garage of my Unleashed toyhauler. these are terrific. I have a lot of stuff on the floor, so I had limited space to take my images. The two with the tire chocks, are in front, for the quad. With the quad loaded, a folding shelf fits perfectly and doesn't touch.
The two parallel rails are in the center of the bay, 5 ft, with two more one on each edge. Solid attachment with 1 inch screws every three inches.
the wall panels are 2 feet long, attached to a 3/8 ply panel, that is glued to the wall, with the screw driven into the stud that the bed lift is attached to. Very solid. the extra diamond plate paneling is easily glued to the wall, and works great to prevent scuffing of the wall paper.
The existing floor attachments absolutely suck. Half inch screws, barely cut into the floor. Not impressed.
My solution WORKS for me.
Attachment 156196

Attachment 156199

Attachment 156200
Ive done all the E-track on my trailers. I was a Big Dog Dealer and we built custom bikes. It works well. I havent looked at the underneath of my 383 QSI and wonder where the D rings are attached. Ive had D-Rings pull through and dropped a bike before. So if there not into the frame. I always run them through a flat bracket on the bottom side
Old 03-30-2018, 08:53 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnys_walkers View Post
Do you need both bunks?
We took the top one out as we don't need the bunks. On the lower bunk, I made a wooden frame seperator and the DW obtained some plastic storage containers and we use it for dry storage as these toyhaulers are short on storage.
On the bottom of the lower bunk I also installed a 12V flouresent light as they seem to be dark in the back. I wired it into one of the wiring harness's that power the rear inside lights. As the bottom of the bunk is white it reflects all the light down. By lowering the bunk to a reasonable height also allows more light over the table unit.

John
Juts got my QSI 373 and this was exactly waht I was thinking. Its just the wife and the two dogs and this would make some excellent stirage with easy access.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:09 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncamilli View Post
FandR - I plan to mount a tv in the garage soon. We upgraded the front TV to a 32" thanks to killer black friday deals and I will be moving the 24" TV to the garage (and use for outside when needed). Like you I assume there is a solid bracket or frame where marked in the garage that we can just screw to. My RV came with a 2nd TV bracket but they didnt give me the part of the bracket that actually mounts to the mall.
I have a TV in my QSI 373 and it has a slide on mount. I would like to get another mount and store a TV on the bunk bed. Then I can put it on the outside mounts which already exsist. Then I'm not talking the garage tv of and on
Old 03-30-2018, 09:19 AM   #68

I just got my Puma 373 QSI and havent done the modifications yet but might have them done this weekend. I'll leist out my ideas

1) Was mentioned and that was making the bed in back a storage area and removing the top bunk

2) My slide has one access door to the storage under the bed. Why not add another storage door on the other side to gain access to that sidewith out lifting the dining room couch

3) There's not heat duct in the bedroom. If you look in the forward compartment. You can see where the ehat duct goes into the bathroom. I'm taping off that with a Y going into the bathroom cabinet and coing out the bedroom wall with a 4" adjustable ducy

4) lacking some storage in this model I felt the nnight stands on both sides can be shortened. Then raise the bed lest say 6-8" and you can make storage under there. Plus with widening the bed you can put in a wider bed

5) I made built in utensil holders in the draws in the kitchen that are removable
Old 03-30-2018, 12:02 PM   #69

Latest mods

4 Solar panels, and 4 6 volt flooded batteries, 3,000 w inverter/charger.
E Track on walls next to the bed lift tracks, into studs. For flat items like chairs, tables etc.
Folding 5 shelf unit in front of stationary side of sliding glass door. bolts driven into studs, on driver's side wall, and a 1x3 from top of door header (solid wood) to floor for the opposite side of shelf unit. I had planned on emptying each time we moved, and folding the shelves to make room for the Quad, however It fits fine with the shelves down!
We don't ever use the beds when it is just us, but we cannot remove them, since when we see our grandkids, we have to sleep 5 of them. Two per bed, and one underneath in his own personal fort. WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IS A SET OF PASS-THROUGH SOFAS. I wish to replace the bottom bunk with two facing sofa/convertable to bed units, so I can feed they mob of kids conveniently. 1200 bucks new at the dealer. Can't seem to find a set of take-offs anywhere.
When adult camping, I put a folding table back there, using the end of the garage to stow all the "Possibles (tackle boxes, metal detector, Etc.)Seats 4 adults. Can leave door open with screen zipped, or leave it closed in cooler weather.
In elk camp, the Quad is back there until we arrive, then it goes out and the garage becomes the mess hall. I found a carpet that fits perfectly and dresses up the place nicely.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #70

2017 qsi 373

So the QSI 373 I purchased has a cabinet in the garage that has a fridge on the botton that opens up to the outside. Well looking at it I'm going to be aboyr 6-8" short of being able to get my 2014 Can Am Limited in it.

Has anyone run in to this ? I was thinking of building a set of over head bainets supported in front with a 2x4 like a door frame. On the sid ethe fridge is make the top cabinet for the fridge and narro the bottom cabinet as a outside narrow cabinet accessable by the door that you sued for the fridge. I can stain the wood like a black charcoal since its a garage and shoud look pretty good

Maybe someone else ran into this
Old 04-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #71

Fridge

Can you post a photo of that fridge, and the way it was placed?
We had no fridge in the same spot (a cabinet over the same space). I installed a tool chest, flat on the deck. My quad fits with plenty of space. Would be tight for a side by side.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #72

Update on my Puma

I don't remember if I mentioned here or on another thread, but I have replaced my front cap. NO decal, either. The dealer dropped my rig off the pin, onto the ground, jacks and all, striking the cap on the upright of the fork lift they use in. the lot. Gouged a huge hole. took them a month to replace it. the real issue is as follows.
The jacks of course, were jammed upwards. They replaced the jacks however didn't tighten the holders so it kept sliding upward, jamming the manual drive into the frame, and not allowing the motor to turn the gears. I stopped on my first trip out after supposed repair, and after I put my jacks down to stabilize (didn't unhitch) I could't lift them. I was screwed. I managed to get clearance enough after a few hours of cursing and struggling, to raise the jacks, went to Corpus Christi (100 miles out of my way) to another lot of the dealer's who took me in immediately and fixed it temporarily. We still had problems in our trip with the same issue, so I dropped it back at the dealer to come up with a final fix (remember this is now taking over 2 months total so far). I also noticed that something wasn't right on our electrical system, since although I had power to my batteries from the solar panels, and when plugged in to shore power I had no charging to the batteries from the generator. I crawled into the battery compartment and saw that when the dealer (the original one), had removed two of the batteries, he had left a ground wire off between one back and the other, and also hooked my inverter into a negative post! Excuse my language, BUT WHAT A F'N IDIOT!!!. I reattached it correctly, however found that now my transfer switch and remote control for the inverter had been damaged. I have that shipped and in boxes for an install by my solar guy (Brian Boone), and am sending the bill ( a big one) to the dealer. It will be the last time i see them.
I am waiting until this entire crap-fest is over, and will reveal the name of the prominent Texas RV dealer. Incompetence, Stupidity, and poor workmanship are the primary characteristics of these idiots.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #73

My List for a 2016 Puma 359THKS.

Dealer installed awning over the left side slide

Self installed additions:

TPMS
20 ton bottle jack and 4 way lug wrench
Cribbing and pads for the jacks
Master battery cut off switch
Light in the battery/storage compartment
Centralized fuse box for the 12 volts items (like the jacks) not running through the power converter/charger.
Changed the outside shower facet so a hose can be connected.
Moved the bed stop switch up to gain head room
Progressive Surge/Power Protector, hardwired
7000 Onan Generator (purchased used)
Storage rack under the fuel cell for the long boards (5' boards used for support in soft soils and leveling).
Moved the spare from under the rear to midship using the BAL tire carrier
Skid rollers on the rear.
8' pipe next to the tire carrier to hold the stinky pipe
4"x4"x8' board covered with carpet and 2 jacks used to support the ramp door as a patio.
LevelMate Pro
5 new tires, GY Endurance. (should have done this on day 2 of ownership)
Getting ready to installed new axles; Lippert is sending replacements.
While replacing the axles will be adding Correct Track, EZ Flex Equalizer, HD shackles and wet bolts.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones1969 View Post
How about a thread about modifications you have done to your Puma Unleashed Toy Hauler

I've done several which I'll post later, I'll start with my latest.

patio ramp door completed yesterday

Where did you get cables and eye bolts from ?!
ruddie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:08 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddie66 View Post
Where did you get cables and eye bolts from ?!
The cables were Brinks brand and I believe they were 9 foot, I got them at Walmart but they are available other places, the eye bolts on the ramp are “BedBolts”, I used stainless steel cap screws and washers on the outside and threaded it through (sandwiched) the ramp door, the eye bolts on the door frame are truck bed stake body tie downs, I had to use longer allthread and then used large washers on the inside of the trailer.

Here are some links to the products
https://www.amazon.com/Brinks-165-38.../dp/B00KAXBBU0

https://www.amazon.com/PROGRIP-82282...d%2Bbolts&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004Y61N..._t2_B00029NA5G
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #76

up grade to the U shape Kitchen

did a little revamping the kitchen table
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Camper1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	196403   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	196404   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper3.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	196405   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper4.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	196406   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper5.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	196407  

Old 02-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedude26 View Post
did a little revamping the kitchen table

I did the same with my dinette . different recliners but same results . you will find a covered trim piece from the dinette that will fit nicely below the trim on the outside edge of the slide to give it a great finished look . worked well on mine
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:14 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
I did the same with my dinette . different recliners but same results . you will find a covered trim piece from the dinette that will fit nicely below the trim on the outside edge of the slide to give it a great finished look . worked well on mine
i sold my dinette set already, i was gonna get ahold of dealer to see if i can get something from forest river
Old 10-31-2019, 12:21 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones1969 View Post
The cables were Brinks brand and I believe they were 9 foot, I got them at Walmart but they are available other places, the eye bolts on the ramp are “BedBolts”, I used stainless steel cap screws and washers on the outside and threaded it through (sandwiched) the ramp door, the eye bolts on the door frame are truck bed stake body tie downs, I had to use longer allthread and then used large washers on the inside of the trailer.

Here are some links to the products

https://www.amazon.com/Brinks-165-38.../dp/B00KAXBBU0

https://www.amazon.com/PROGRIP-82282...d%2Bbolts&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004Y61N..._t2_B00029NA5G

Thanks for the info, sounds exactly what I’m looking for. Wondering if you could send me pics of your install. Just to make sure of parts.
ruddie66 is offline   Reply With Quote