Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #1

Storage Compartment Leak

While camping this weekend, it was 38 deg. at night, I noticed in the storage compartment a small amount of water behind the water filter compartment inside the storage compartment. I removed the flimsy wooden divider panel in the storage comp. to get access to the water lines which is where the water pump and water lines are located along with the furnace and furnace duct work. Found a couple Pex hose clamps dripping water. No biggy I can fix that. While I had the flimsy panel off I vacuumed all the left over construction debrie up, what a mess they left behind there. (FR Lazyness and lack of pride in workmanship) When you remove the flimsy divider panel you will notice there isn't any insulation on the back side of the flimsy wall paneling so going to have to insulate that. Also all floor plumbing/electrical hole penetrations drilled in the floor for the plumbing piping/electrical aren't sealed so cold air comes right on in there with all your water lines. Good thing there is plenty of heat ducted in there to over come the outside air. LOL Going to have to seal those penetration holes to knock down the cold air infiltration. You will also notice no insulation on the water lines but there is alot of ducted heat to blow hot air on those lines so when you are running the heater to heat the inside of the RV and notice there isn't much heat on the inside of your RV, it is all being dumped in the storage compartment so you will need to crawl in there to get warm this winter. LOL Guess I'll be doing some better duct work that FR doesn't know anything about. At least that way the heater vent in the bedroom might get some heat coming out of the vent. Good thing we had electric space heaters or we wouldn't have had heat inside the RV.

This should go to show you that you better winterize your water lines with RV antifreeze or you will be sorry even if you live in the South. Don't forget to seal the plumbing penetrations under your sinks, those penetrations are blowing cold air into those water line areas.
I think after I get these places all sealed from the outside air my A/C and Heater will work alot better. LOL Oh and after I fix the duct work. LOL

I happened to have all the lights off in the RV and noticed light coming in along both sides of the kitchen slide from top to bottom on each side of it. They, FR forgot to use black silicone down both sides of the slide edges. I sealed that up also.

I have used 8 tubes of black silicone to seal the underbelly plastic liner, 2 cans of foam and need one more can along with some insulation to insulate in the storage compartment.

Ok I'm done with my rant for now I think, I'm headed to Lowes again for supplies. LOL

Just wanted to give all you a heads up in places you should check and seal for winter and summer and it might even help keep the varmits out when your not using your RV. I can tell my Palomino Columbus 3650TH is alot more air tight now. Good luck with yours.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, storage