Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2021, 07:18 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
Attachment 264101
Let’s go with the second most expensive way of fixing this.
Or let’s go with the most expensive way. Buy a 5 wheel toy hauler and a new truck.

Filling the fresh water tank which he says if forward of the axels might be all it needs.

I recommend that first.
The only issue you have then is you go camping with full water, no sway. Then you finish camping you will need to retain all that water in your gray and black tank hopefully they are near you fresh water tank to maintain the same weight and balance on you trip home. Other wise you will need to fill your water tank to get home again
graystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTully View Post
Here is my problem. I am unable to eliminate the sway in my 2021 Palomino Puma TSS29 toy hauler.

I have a 2021 RZR Turbo S4 (approx. 1900lbs.) Using a 2017 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab to pull it. With a 14k Equalizer hitch.

I've measured truck changed washers, measured trailer, backed RZR in, figured TW over and over!

What am I doing wrong?

Is the trailer a bad design with to much garage behind the axels?

Should it have been made with 3 axles?
CCC states 3582 lbs. and I am under that.

29TSS FLOORPLAN
Toy Haulers

SPECIFICATIONS
Hitch Weight:1,235 lb.
GVWR:11,435 lb.
UVW:7,853 lb.
CCC:3,582 lb.
Exterior Length:37' 6"
Exterior Height:12' 2"
Exterior Width:96"
Fresh Water:43.00 gal.
Gray Water:34.50 gal.
Black Water:34.50 gal.
Awning Size:21'

I was look at pictures of you unit your garage is almost completely behind you axles you need to have it weighed at a scale. Is there a placard that states how much weight you can put in the garage my thunderbolt states 3300lb in the garage.
graystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:20 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
Attachment 264101
Let’s go with the second most expensive way of fixing this.
Or let’s go with the most expensive way. Buy a 5 wheel toy hauler and a new truck.

Filling the fresh water tank which he says if forward of the axels might be all it needs.

I recommend that first.
Lol. Because a smaller machine and 80k 5th wheel blah blah.

Thanks for replying to that nonsense.

I did use a scale to measure tongue weight. Filled up the tank today it did raise my tongue weight !
GTully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystone View Post
I was look at pictures of you unit your garage is almost completely behind you axles you need to have it weighed at a scale. Is there a placard that states how much weight you can put in the garage my thunderbolt states 3300lb in the garage.
No placard and I can't find a weight online. Dealership is no help.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:23 PM   #45
I'm Lost

As graystone says, what is the manufacturers limit for cargo back there?

How much other stuff are you putting in the garage, you only mention the RZR, I cannot believe you only put the RZR in there and nothing else; so what is the all-up weight of your cargo?

You need to scale it to find out how out of whack the TT is.

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:26 PM   #46
I'm Lost

You used a scale, OK, so what are the numbers, readers need to know so they can advise you!

G
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
As itat said, you have to get the weight so you have at least 10% of your trailer weight on the tongue.

You have a 7800# trailer and you are putting a 1900# load mostly behind the axels so it is a pretty safe bet you don’t have nearly enough tongue weight. You need to put a lot of stuff in the front of the trailer to make up for that imbalance.

I had the same problem with a lightweight bumper pull toy hauler with my Goldwing Trike at 1200#. The only way to get it to tow decent was to put about 200# of stuff in the front storage compartment. It still went into sway a couple of time (thank you Ford AntiSway for stopping it). The only good solution was to go to a 5th wheel toy hauler which was heavy enough to keep proper balance with a unit that heavy. Your toy is even heavier than mine was so you may well be out of luck with this particular trailer/toy combination.
I rearranged things in the full length compartment up front, added addtl. tools and filled up the fresh water tank as you and others have instructed which added alot more tongue weight.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:52 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guspech750 View Post
How many washers are in place on the hitch to help spread the weight to the front TV axle and trailer axles?

Attachment 263722
7 of the 8
Old 10-07-2021, 08:58 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystone View Post
The only issue you have then is you go camping with full water, no sway. Then you finish camping you will need to retain all that water in your gray and black tank hopefully they are near you fresh water tank to maintain the same weight and balance on you trip home. Other wise you will need to fill your water tank to get home again
You are right.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:01 PM   #50

Check your hitch height loaded see if it needs adjusted .Loaded springs will settle hitch height might be to high .Just a thought if you have already done that then I missed it .
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:14 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post
As graystone says, what is the manufacturers limit for cargo back there?

How much other stuff are you putting in the garage, you only mention the RZR, I cannot believe you only put the RZR in there and nothing else; so what is the all-up weight of your cargo?

You need to scale it to find out how out of whack the TT is.

Geoff
Original tongue weight was 998#. Now it's 1280#. GTW is 12k so I'm at about 10%. Yes my RZR is all I put back in the garage. Garage is 13' and my machine is 12' 6".
Old 10-07-2021, 09:19 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
Check your hitch height loaded see if it needs adjusted .Loaded springs will settle hitch height might be to high .Just a thought if you have already done that then I missed it .
I've been messing with it on weekends. RZR has been it for 3 or 4 weeks. Even with the added tongue weight it still measures almost level within a 1/4 of an inch.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:31 PM   #53

I rearranged things in the full length compartment up front, added addtl. tools and filled up the fresh water tank as you and others have instructed which added alot more tongue weight. Here are the numbers I came up with. Original tongue weight was 998#. Now it's 1280#. GTW is 12k so I'm at about 10%. Will take it out on Saturday to see how it rides. Hope I figured the numbers right. Truck and trailer still seem level.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:40 PM   #54

How does it pull without the rzr in it .
Old 10-07-2021, 09:49 PM   #55

It's almost certain to be too little TW. Do you use anti sway with your equalizer hitch. I use two one on each side Curt Friction anti sway bars.

Our Toy Haulers are almost the same size I upgraded the hitch on my truck to 15k and use a 15k equalizer hitch.

I am surprised to see that your fresh water tank is only 43 gallons but that said I would look for another plan than to carry around 350 pounds of water. If you do, you should make sure your water tank is well supported. Also keep in mind partially full tanks grey, black or fresh can add to trailer sway from the sloshing side to side.

I would get a Sherline TW scale.

How does your trailer sit with the truck when loaded? is the front level, high or low?

Depending on your loaded TW% to add more weight I would lower the ball 2 inches and see what that does to TW. As you lower the ball you will transfer weight to the front axle, trailer tongue and truck hitch creating a higher percentage of TW.

How many batteries do you have? Are they on the tongue? Add extra batteries to add TW. You will get the added benefit of weight 50+ pounds each (I have four) and extra amp hours. A metal battery box could add another 40 pounds or more.

What size propane tanks? If you have 20 pounders upgrade to 30 pounders.

My A Frame was designed as a generator mount which I did not use but added batteries in a metal battery box in that location.

Let us know how it works out.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:21 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
How does it pull without the rzr in it .
Pulls great w/o the RZR.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:25 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
It's almost certain to be too little TW. Do you use anti sway with your equalizer hitch. I use two one on each side Curt Friction anti sway bars.

Our Toy Haulers are almost the same size I upgraded the hitch on my truck to 15k and use a 15k equalizer hitch.

I am surprised to see that your fresh water tank is only 43 gallons but that said I would look for another plan than to carry around 350 pounds of water. If you do, you should make sure your water tank is well supported. Also keep in mind partially full tanks grey, black or fresh can add to trailer sway from the sloshing side to side.

How does your trailer sit with the truck when loaded? is the front level, high or low?

Depending on your loaded TW% to add more weight I would lower the ball 2 inches and see what that does to TW. As you lower the ball you will transfer weight to the front axle, trailer tongue and truck hitch creating a higher percentage of TW.

How many batteries do you have? Are they on the tongue? Add extra batteries to add TW. You will get the added benefit of weight 50+ pounds each (I have four) and extra amp hours. A metal battery box could add another 40 pounds or more.

My A Frame was designed as a generator mount which I did not use but added batteries in a metal battery box in that location.

Thank you.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:28 PM   #58

If you have the typical overhead bed and wall seating found in toy haulers, at 900lbs and mounted high, there's half your aft weight problem. Lose them.
Assuming you back the RZR into the garage? 80% of a RZR's weight is on the rear axle. Dont load anything else with weight into the garage other than the RZR. All "stuff" goes into the truck bed. Forward the axle centerline. Loading a 3/4 ton truck wrong will add considerably to your handling problem.
Buy a dually. I was pulling a Vengeance Rogue 31V (12k gross, 1200 lbs tongue) toy hauler with a 2500 LB 4x4 Chevy and it was dangerous. Borrow a 1 ton DRW and see what happens. May surprise.
I switched to a Ram 3500 4x4 DRW for a pleasant ride. No more white knuckles.
Chevy trucks have a suspension design that's quite comfy, but not the best for maxed out tag along loads. 5th wheels are OK on Chevy. Toy hauler tag alongs of any size max a 3/4 hitch load capacity. Check your numbers.
Toy haulers have heavy tongue weights as the axles are biased more aft. If you have a proper garage wall, you're limited in positioning the RZR, if no garage wall, move it forward if possible. Either way, it should be as close as possible to the existing limits (wall), and backed into the garage.
I removed the overhead bunk and found that only the overhead bunk weighed well over 300 lbs. Kept the side seats, but lower them all the way down onto the floor before travel. They remain flat against the wall. But weight is on the floor...about 400 lbs.
As previously stated, you need tongue and axle weights both loaded and unloaded. If you see 500 lbs on the tongue loaded, it isn't safe. If you see around a 1000 lbs tongue weight loaded, the aft load is the problem. The trailer axles cannot control the swinging. Big problem.
I also changed tires and wheels to GY 16" @ 80 lbs. All helps.
I carry a 1000 lb Golf cart. It doesn't much effect the handling post mods and 1 ton truck. It did before. Even before, the 1 ton pulled well. The later changes were due to the appearance that the trailer was working the garage wall a bit too much (it is). Making a good bit of sawdust.
I pull with a Reese 15K WDH in factory Ram reciever. Nothing complicated. Don't use sway stabilizer. Don’t need them.
Good luck!Click image for larger version

Name:	20210913_155721.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	264107Click image for larger version

Name:	20210909_195900.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	264108Click image for larger version

Name:	20210725_161035.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	264109
JRHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:28 PM   #59

As many times as they say more hitch weight, is as many times as they're going to be right.

Other factors are making sure that when you bars are set with the necessary tension that the trailer frame and truck frame sit almost perfectly level. You can go through all the install videos for a load leveling hitch that are posted on the etrailer website but the reality of it is the truck and the trailer all have to be in level plane. The spring bars and I'm talking about most hitches that have spring bars have to be heavy enough for the weight you're pulling and that probably means 1200 or 1400 lb spring bars. With our 9900 lb grossed out toy hauler we had about 1400 lb on the ball and that thing towed like a brick back there just never budged never swayed never gave us any hassle.

Everybody's got their favorite brand name of hitch but if it's a hitch rated for the weight you're working with and tensioned up heavily enough any hitch should be able to control that sway if you are loaded right and balanced forward at least 10% on the ball and preferably more like 12%.

All you can do after your setup is take it to a scale and weight and find out what's wrong.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:30 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post

I would drop the ball 1" and see how it pulls or 1/2 "
You said you was off by 1/4 " is that high or low on the ball it doesn't take much to cause sway at high speeds

Tags
sway