Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2021, 11:32 PM   #61

OP states his tongue weight is 1280 lbs. He has enough weight on a 3/4 ton Chevy truck.
His problem likely reflects Chevy's known "flexi-ride" rear suspension coupled with nearing max capacity.
Any mods to the truck as in wheels and tires, lift kits, worn suspension etc will also cause loaded towing problems.
I'd load that puppy up and pull it with a 1 ton DRW truck. That might prove to be the answer. And it might not.
If not, the RZR is too heavy for the trailer/suspension as is. Nothing simple will fix that.
The GCW is maxing the truck either way. If HD, Duramax or some such, it may eventually work out. If a gasser...?
Rule out the truck first. Then move on from there.
His overall weights are acceptable for distribution.
Chevy uses (as do all manufactures now) coil springs on the rear. They tend to yaw when pushed around.
Pull behind a DRW 3500 and have someone monitor the rear of the box. If the rear of the trailer bounces and rocks independent of the truck, the trailer cannot carry the weight of the RZR.
As stated before, if the trailer has the Happijac ensemble. Remove them. They are 900 lbs hung high in the rear of the trailer. The Happijak weight is to be deducted from the permissible garage toy weight. I removed my overhead queen. Heavy thing.
However, if a DRW truck feels OK, problem solved. Sorta. One tons ain't cheap. Nothing's simple...?
A rear leaf spring truck would be the most desirable towing machine. All late one tons ride acceptably when loaded. All are very quiet inside. Remarkably so.
YMMV..
JRHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:24 AM   #62

Send a message via Yahoo to Rich46
Back it in with the engine over the axles, don’t drive it in.
Rich46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 03:43 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHERE View Post
Chevy uses (as do all manufactures now) coil springs on the rear. They tend to yaw when pushed around.
No. A 2017 GM 3/4 is a leaf spring rear. I had a '17 and towed a 10k toyhauler with 1500lbs tongue weight. No wdh as it wasn't required even with 2k on the ball.

The trailer tows fine empty but not loaded...the problem is about how the weight is loaded on the trailer and a dually will not address the root cause.

Old 10-08-2021, 05:03 AM   #64

Then remove the overhead and side accessory beds and try it. The heavy parts are easy to pull pins and lay aside for experiment.
It looks as though the RZR rear wheels are pretty close to the rear axle? If backed in?
My 2500 4x4 was leaf also. Thought later went to coils and air ride supplement. Been wring before. That said. My 2500 was pushed all over with a similar setup. The Ram was an instant major improvement. Zero handling issues. I do use a WDH.
Later. Gotta go to work. Bummer!
Old 10-08-2021, 07:05 AM   #65

Quick question a for OP.
Do you have tongue weights with the RZR both loaded and unloaded? Curious as to how much the weight changes between loaded and empty.
RZR backed in?
Is the RZR typically strapped down so the the suspension is pretty compressed and cannot move?
The factory tie down points are not the greatest. But...but
Old 10-08-2021, 09:20 AM   #66

Hensley Arrow - Worked Wonders for me

If nothing else works, get a Hensley Arrow hitch. I had a 1996 Ford Explorer and a 30 ft Nomad (8,500 pounds fully loaded) that we would not use if the wind was over 10 mph and even with no wind on the expressways it was always white knuckles as trucks went by. The Hensley Arrow made a truly unbelievable difference. With the Hensley Arrow I totally stopped checking my mirrors to see if a truck was coming - only about 5% of the time did I ever even feel a very slight effect. I still use the Hensley with my 2005 Dodge Duarago 5.7 Hemi, yah, I know, really old, but man, it hauls beautifully with our new 32 foot V-Lite which has dual slides outs ---- and I would not use anything else. I've done a panic stop from 65 to avoid an idiot. And I've been surprised by a really rough railroad track around a curve – yes, we bounced but not even a hint that the trailer might come around sideways on us. The Hensley is not cheap, but the results are very very real. And, no, I have absolutely no financial involvement with Hensley. Am I one of those brand loyal guys --- yes, because I had very bad experiences with my Ford/Nomad that were eliminated by the Hensley Arrow.
rdavidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #67

I didn't read all the responses, but it does sound like you need more tongue weight. Besides adding actual weight to the front of the trailer, you can also back off on the amount of weight distribution from the hitch. Do this by lowering the L brackets or fewer washers to reduce the head angle. Sometimes it is just a matter of lowering one level on the L brackets. You definitely do not need more tension on the bars as that removes weight from the tongue. You want less tension on the bars to add weight back on the tongue. Good luck getting it going!
ldstandlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:24 PM   #68

Unable to remove sway in TH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTully View Post
I rearranged things in the full length compartment up front, added addtl. tools and filled up the fresh water tank as you and others have instructed which added alot more tongue weight. Here are the numbers I came up with. Original tongue weight was 998#. Now it's 1280#. GTW is 12k so I'm at about 10%. Will take it out on Saturday to see how it rides. Hope I figured the numbers right. Truck and trailer still seem level.

Nice. With the added weight and water up front. I would imagine the trailer will ride like a champ. Looking forward to reading your results. Hopefully it’ll be a bit windy when you take it out on Saturday to really see some results. Get it out on the highway and gooooooooo. LOLzzzz

Good luck.
2021 Cherokee Greywolf 23MK
Equalizer 1,000lb WDH
Guspech750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:37 PM   #69
REL

Take it to the CAT scales and get accurate weights for TV toung and trailer weights Anything else is just guessing.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:10 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich46 View Post
Back it in with the engine over the axles, don’t drive it in.

Did you read from the beginning?

Already done!
Old 10-08-2021, 05:11 PM   #71

I’m unsubscribing from this thread due to reading comprehension and general stupidity. I’m not calling anyone out specifically, but wow.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:50 PM   #72

A lot of good ideas to try.......

But you need real weights as others have suggested.

I am guessing, but your garage probably has a maximum capacity of 2000 lbs.

Our Puma had a max. capacity of 14500 which left 4000 gross for gear but the garage was only rated for 2500 lbs..

I really do not think that the the RZR can be safely carried by your TH it is too heavy.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:45 PM   #73

The "toy" weight is whatever is in the garage, and biased by their location. Vs the factory limits if course.
That's why (broken record?) I keep returning to the optional overhead and side bunks. They are heavy, attached high, and right at the ramp. They serve as a pendulum. My Happijacs weigh prox to 900 lbs...all located at the extreme rear of the trailer.
I had an identical issue pulling our 31V with a 2500 LB 4x4 Chevy. It wasn't quite as bad, but no pleasure driving. I removed the overhead bed. It helped noticeably. The weight of the bed ensemble must be subtracted from the toy weight limits. Our 31V has 2900 garage capacity, but the Happijac system reduces the max to 2000 lbs.
It's also possible that the axles tires, and springs are maxxed out and cannot safely manage the dynamics of the trailer.
I'd bet the backed in RZR doesn't much affect the tongue weight. The problem is more a high center of gravity and the "pendulum" of rear located weight.
Adding weight as compensatory creates new issues...generally overloads the trailer suspension. Especially so with 2000 lb toys. Water tanks can be damaged by traveling when full.
I think the RZR backed in is loading the rear trailer axle and has minimal effect on the tongue. That's as it should be. The weight of the toy might be maxing out the trailer axle assembly? Not the best. Weights will will prove this hypothesis.
My DRW made a driving chore into a pleasure. The Chevy 2500 suspension was fitted with poly bushings, all new front bush, sector, tie rods...tires, and shocks..ad infinitum. Nothing made ant difference at all. Truck was excellent. Just not up to the 31V's needs.
I like my toy hauler. Garages are useful during rainy weather. Party on! Glad the handling bugs are worked out.
Toy haulers are 'hard' towing trailers. All have heavy tongue weight, rearward biased axles, tall exterior heights. And heavy aft loads.
If you have a friend with a dually, try it. Free diagnostics eh?
I'm repeating myself and will read henceforth.
Good luck! Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_151514.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	264146Click image for larger version

Name:	20200925_144227.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	264147Click image for larger version

Name:	20210908_150831.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	195.6 KB