RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-06-2020, 08:23 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Flawed experiment or not, if someone else was to do the same experiment and post back that they also get 2 gallons of pure hot water out of the their 6 gallon tank then it would provide proof to the OP that his system is normal. I'm just not going to go out and undo my winterization to do it for him.
I see what youíre saying. It makes sense.

Bruce
Old 11-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #42

If you really want to know if you have 6 gallons of "HOT" water try this! Drain your heater tank and replace the A rod with a valve and hose,close the valve and turn on your water pump to fill tank,open pop off valve to be sure tank is FULL,now turn on propane heater for water tank! After 20 min turn off pump and city water! Turn off propane and elect,now open your new valve Slowly into a 5 gallon bucket! I bet you have 5 gallon of "HOT" water Plus spillage! Youroo!!
Old 11-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #43
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
The water is coming from the fresh water tank, it's probably about 45-50 degrees.
That's some cold fresh water coming in. My well water at home is 55 and I thought that was cold.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:13 PM   #44

Just as an additional FYI.

Never had an issue with enough hot water. And the "War Department" abuses the hot water protocol constantly. It never takes more than 10 minutes to get a "full" load of hot water with electric and propane on at same time. 6 gallon heater

We usually wash the dishes and I take a GI shower (war department not so much GI LOL) that way we can shut down the propane heater to conserve.

I am thinking OP may have a heater issue as many have indicated

Good Luck. Your mileage may vary.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #45
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wife has been militarily trained by me for almost 30 years. She is great!
Old 11-06-2020, 04:02 PM   #46

I agree that you have a low hot water issue, we generally have plenty of hot water for reasonable showers and dishwashing.

If it were me I would play with the position of the valve handles. You can find plenty of information on the internet regarding bypass 3-way valves and how to direct the flow. It appears that if you have 180 degree travel, the handles need to be in line with the flow, 90 degree travel is different.

Give it a try, you canít make things any worse.

Good Luck ...
Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #47

A friend of mine had this problem with his Roo. We found another valve behind a panel that was shut for winter. The hot was mixing with the cold. Check the pressure release, if that water is nice and hot...hotter then the faucet...then you need to find this valve.
Twisterbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:29 PM   #48

I've read all the posts and in one the OP said he could hold his hand under the tap with 100% hot water on - even at the beginning of a cycle. I could never do that in any of the TT's we've owned. I've never measured the temperature of the hot water but it's literally smoking (ok, steaming) to start with. Maybe the whole issue is that the WH is never getting the water up to a high enough temp. Then that cool down factor of incoming water has even more impact.

Just my 2Ę
Two shedding mutts
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:33 PM   #49

Youroo had the best test to make sure both Gas and Electric are heating the water independently. It's possible only one or the other is working.

Maybe the gas isn't lighting or both electric switches aren't on. Or an actual an problem (install/malfunction).

For what it's worth... I insulated my hot water pipes to get a little more heat out of her.
BunnyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:59 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
I've read all the posts and in one the OP said he could hold his hand under the tap with 100% hot water on - even at the beginning of a cycle. I could never do that in any of the TT's we've owned. I've never measured the temperature of the hot water but it's literally smoking (ok, steaming) to start with. Maybe the whole issue is that the WH is never getting the water up to a high enough temp. Then that cool down factor of incoming water has even more impact.

Just my 2Ę

This is why I asked about an adjustment for the hot water temp. My Jayco would remove skin if you put your hand in the hot water stream. With the new Surveyor, the first 2 gallons are pretty hot, but not so hot you risk a severe burn.

We've got snow outside now and I had to winterize, so I probably won't get a chance to resolve this until warmer weather. I never thought this thread would go 3 pages and 50 comments. It's a brand new trailer and every part of the system appears to be normal and functional. I figured it was some simple thing I was missing. My initial thought was that there's no way that tank holds 6 gallons of hot water, it looks so much smaller than the Jayco one. I'll do my deep dive scientific analysis when it's safe to run water again.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:51 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackIt View Post
This is why I asked about an adjustment for the hot water temp. My Jayco would remove skin if you put your hand in the hot water stream. With the new Surveyor, the first 2 gallons are pretty hot, but not so hot you risk a severe burn.

We've got snow outside now and I had to winterize, so I probably won't get a chance to resolve this until warmer weather. I never thought this thread would go 3 pages and 50 comments. It's a brand new trailer and every part of the system appears to be normal and functional. I figured it was some simple thing I was missing. My initial thought was that there's no way that tank holds 6 gallons of hot water, it looks so much smaller than the Jayco one. I'll do my deep dive scientific analysis when it's safe to run water again.
So a lot of advice but IMHO if you feel there is something wrong, which there very well could be by the sounds of you issue. Why not bring it back to the dealer. Perhaps there's an issue with the tank itself or the sensor or thermal limiter switch that turns the gas/electric heater on to bring it to temperature.
Our Cocker Spaniel "Shadow" (4 y/o)
dmctlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #52
Captn

Your only getting two gallons of straight hot water because it is being replaced by cold water inside your tank. The tanks purpose is to provide hot water to be mixed with cold water at the showers and dishes etc lasting 6 gallons of water for that purpose.
CaptnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:38 AM   #53
Site Team

One idea I haven't seen mentioned yet is that the valves are not working properly. I have seen reports of people needing to replace the valves because even though they were turning the handle, the inside part of the valve wasn't turning.

So it's possible that hot and cold water are getting mixed coming out of the WH.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #54

I am just happy for the hot showers I now have because someone here pointed to the hot/cold blend valve being open during winterization. Once closed, I had a hot shower. Now I do not run the shower full time while showering. I use the showerheads on/off slide and not allow the water to run while shaving or soaping up. Plenty of hot water.
Tahoe John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:57 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe John View Post
I am just happy for the hot showers I now have because someone here pointed to the hot/cold blend valve being open during winterization. Once closed, I had a hot shower. Now I do not run the shower full time while showering. I use the showerheads on/off slide and not allow the water to run while shaving or soaping up. Plenty of hot water.

Where did you find a hot/cold blend valve? The picture in my first post shows the valves I have, do you have another valve somewhere in your system?
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #56
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Where did you find a hot/cold blend valve? The picture in my first post shows the valves I have, do you have another valve somewhere in your system?
Some plumbing systems have a 3 valve bypass system. It's not really a 'blend' valve per se, but it does allow the hot and cold to blend if the center valve is open in the normal use situation.
Yours is not like this kind.
Name:   3-valve-water-heater-bypass_.jpeg
Views: 140
Size:  9.3 KB
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=15
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:38 PM   #57
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
One idea I haven't seen mentioned yet is that the valves are not working properly. I have seen reports of people needing to replace the valves because even though they were turning the handle, the inside part of the valve wasn't turning.

So it's possible that hot and cold water are getting mixed coming out of the WH.
I was trying to say that in my previous post, but you said it much better.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #58
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
You do not have the bypass valve in your set up.
Just the two T valves.

Now Just to be clear; if you have a outside shower, the valves outside could be open and the button in the wand closed and cause this problem.

Are you sure you don't have an outside shower?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-1024-1230-03.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	242805   Click image for larger version

Name:	H2O heater.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	242806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	242807  
Attached Images

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 11-10-2020, 06:47 PM   #59

I'm not sure but the valves / tubing don't look quite right. It almost appears as if the cold water line (blue tape) is mixing with the hot water output line?
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:21 PM   #60
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson View Post
I'm not sure but the valves / tubing don't look quite right. It almost appears as if the cold water line (blue tape) is mixing with the hot water output line?
The valves (when turned as indicated) block off the crossover hose connection.
This only allows cold feed water to enter the bottom of the tank and hot tank water to exit the top of the tank and be directed to the hot water pipe.

When the valves are turned in line with the hoses, the short hose connects the cold and hot pipes, while blocking the inlet and outlet on the tank.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater