RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-10-2020, 09:20 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Are you sure you don't have an outside shower?
1 million percent sure... I've been p'd off about it since I got the trailer home and realized they took it out of the 2021 Surveyor. I can't believe Forest River cheaped out and removed it, I'm deep into figuring out how to add one. Cutting a hole into the Azdel siding of a brand new camper is not something I want to do.

I also checked the bathroom shower head for the little water flow cut off button and it doesn't have that.... another 12 cent cost cutting measure achieved by FR.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #62
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackIt View Post
Cutting a hole into the Azdel siding of a brand new camper is not something I want to do.
Totally get it.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:50 PM   #63

Talking Not enough hot water.

Faulty thermostat/high limit stat in tank? Has to be some type of safety not opening or closing properly.

Jerry
2017 Forester 2401SW
JLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:13 PM   #64

Some further testing... it's all about the data.

The water going into the hot water heater is 57 F
The 1st gallon is 137 F
The 2nd gallon is 136 F
The 3rd gallon is 129 F
The 4th gallon is 109 F
The 5th gallon is 97 F
The 6th gallon is 93 F

Conclusion - The 1st and 2nd gallons are probably deemed as "in spec", I would prefer 140 ~ 142 F, but that's not going to happen with this unit. There's a huge perception difference between 137 F & 129F. Anything under 105 F is not ideal for showering.

The biggest take away from my experiment is the realization that the hot water heater doesn't hold 6 gallons of water. It's hard to get an exact volume measurement, but it appears to be about 4 gallons of actual water capacity in the tank. I can tell just by eyeballing it, the tank is smaller than the one in my old Jayco.

So there you have it, another less than satisfactory component that probably saved FR $10 on their bottom line.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:27 PM   #65

I think you are on to the problem.
Fish N Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #66
Captn

Cold water comes in to replace hot water. Of course it will drop in temp fast. Try starting off with a hot cold mixture like if you were taking a shower and do your test no one uses all hot. You will find shower water temp will last longer.
CaptnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:14 PM   #67
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackIt View Post
I can tell just by eyeballing it, the tank is smaller than the one in my old Jayco.

So there you have it, another less than satisfactory component that probably saved FR $10 on their bottom line.
I've always thought 6 gallon water heaters were standard across most brands.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:24 PM   #68
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I've always thought 6 gallon water heaters were standard across most brands.
My first 3 trailers had 6 gallon water heaters. My current unit has the only 10 gallon heater Ive ever owned.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 108; booked = 32
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #69

Or do a REAL test

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnScott View Post
Cold water comes in to replace hot water. Of course it will drop in temp fast. Try starting off with a hot cold mixture like if you were taking a shower and do your test no one uses all hot. You will find shower water temp will last longer.
Cap Scott is right, of course. You can't possibly get perfect laminar flow in filling the water heater. As you draw fully heated water out of the heater and cool water rushes in, there is a little turbulence. The fully heated water at the bottom mixes with cool incoming water, accounting for the decreased temperature of the last two gallons.

Now, if you are really convinced that a product that has satisfied thousands of RV owners for over two decades, do this test. Take photographs and create a dated, signed log as evidence in case the test fails.

Get a 10 gallon bucket, a one gallon milk or antifreeze jug, a funnel, and a 1-2 foot stub of hose and 3/4" MIP to hose adapter. A hose shutoff valve like this will be helpful. You can use two five-gallon buckets if you prefer.

You could use this adapter from Home Depot.

This is the real test. Please report your results.
  • Turn off electricity and propane switches to water heater.
  • Remove anode rod or drain plug. (Be careful if the water is still hot.)
  • Install the IP-to-Hose adapter. (No need to use Teflon tape. A few drops loss won't hurt.)
  • Install the hose shutoff onto the hose adapter. Make sure it is in the off position (valve handle pointing across the flow, not in line with the flow)
  • Install a hose (shorter will give more accurate results)
  • Turn on city water OR pump (not both).
  • Turn on a hot water tap and run until the stream is steady water (no burps or gurgles). (Tank is now full)
  • Go to the back side of the water heater and turn all valves to the bypass positions. (Should be the opposite of the current positions.. Now the water heater is completely isolated from the water system.)
  • Put the free end of the hose into the bucket.
  • Open the hose shutoff valve and let the water flow into the bucket.
  • After a gallon has gurgled out, open the Temperature/Pressure valve at the top of the tank to let air in, so water will flow out faster.
  • If you are using five-gallon buckets, when you get about four buckets, use the shutoff valve to stop the flow, switch the hose to the second bucket, and restart the flow.
  • When the flow ends, pick up the hose near the heater and hold it over your head. Then work your way down the hose to empty it into the bucket. (Now you have the entire water heater capacity in one or two buckets.)
  • Get a helper to hold the funnel over the one-gallon jug.
  • Fill the jug from the bucket.
  • Pour the jug onto the ground.
  • Count.
  • Repeat the four previous steps until the bucket is empty.
  • Report here how many times you filled and emptied the jug.
Looking forward to seeing your measured water heater capacity.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:51 PM   #70

According to the ratings, DOE.

The size of a 6 gallon tank must be at least 5.4 gallons. Can be under 10%.

The heater should be able to raise the temp of the water 67 degrees above the incoming temperature. Temperature is measured at the heater. Measuring at the shower gets lower temps.

I think you are about there.

Therefor it is considered a 6 gallon water heater!

You need a bigger one, but, got what you paid for.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #71
Site Team - Lou

If you do that test, MAKE SURE the water is cold AND you open the pressure relief valve BEFORE you try and remove that anode rod.

Just saying ...
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater