Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #1

2000 Rockwood 2602 hot water heater won't stay lit

We went out for our first trip of the season and found that we don't have hot water.

We have a DSI gas only hot water heater. It will ignite at times, but it won't stay lit for more than a minute or two. It won't relight by itself when the water level goes down either.

We used compressed gas to try to blow out any webs or anything but that didn't seem to help. The water heater was fine last year.

Would the problems have anything to do with the bypass I installed last winter? Could it be that the wrong valves are turned? I don't think so because I did hear the water flowing into the tank.

The stove stays lit without a problem so I know I have plenty of gas.

Any other things to try? I am not mechanically inclined but will try my best to follow your instructions.
licountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #2

I'm not sure that a bypass valve would have anything to do with your problem. It does seem strange that it did work last year and is not working now.

I had a similar problem in that my water heater wouldn't light. It was due to my batteries being on their last leg and didn't provide enough spark. I also think that the battery spark terminal that is located behind the gas flow is too far away and needs to be pushed closer to the gas source. Once lit, if was fine.

When the heater doesn't light, do you smell gas?
MikeInColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:23 AM   #3

I would check two areas of concern. One when you blew out the wh did you check the area directly after the nozzel to make sure its clear. Two after blowing out you may have changed the angle of the pilot light to burner.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote