Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2022, 04:57 PM   #1

2005 Sunseeker 2000 LTD water heater bypass

We finally got her out of the shop (full house systems check) and ran her out on a shakedown trip. All systems worked out well. We were at a full hookup site so we haven't used the freshwater holding tank yet and wanted to sanitize first.

I've read a few blogs and watched a few YT videos, but I can't seem to find one that addresses an older rig like ours.

The sanitizing process does not appear to be very complex.
  1. Mix up some bleach /water solution (1/4 cup bleach for every 15 gals of water), in my case about 1/2 cup and a few TBSP
  2. Put in fill hose,
  3. Fill the tank
  4. Using the pump, run the water through the lines and various faucets, until you smell the bleach
  5. Let is sit for a few hours
  6. Again, using the pump, run the water through the lines and various faucets, until there is no more water left in the either the lines or the tank
  7. Dump the grey water
  8. Refill the tank with fresh water, rinse the lines and faucets until you no longer smell any bleach

That unto itself is pretty clear.

My doubts go to the water heater. I do know where there the bypass for my hot water heater is. I also do not know of the hot water holding tank is automatically filled while I fill the holding tank, or does the hot water tank only gets its initial fill from the holding tank via the tank pump.

If I cannot isolate the hot water tank, will a fill up of bleach/water solution hurt it?

If you have experience with these older models, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:07 PM   #2

You don't need to bypass the hot water heater when sanitizing. In fact, you want to sanitize it. You only need to bypass when winterizing and putting in rv antifreeze.
Also, you want to keep the bleach/water in the lines for 12 hours for max disinfecting.
Your water heater will fill when you turn on the pump and open a hot water faucet.
Once you run the bleach/water mixture through the lines, top the tank off with fresh water to replace the water in the pipes and water heater. You want the fresh water tank filled when it sits disinfecting.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
You don't need to bypass the hot water heater when sanitizing. In fact, you want to sanitize it. You only need to bypass when winterizing and putting in rv antifreeze.
Also, you want to keep the bleach/water in the lines for 12 hours for max disinfecting.
Your water heater will fill when you turn on the pump and open a hot water faucet.
Once you run the bleach/water mixture through the lines, top the tank off with fresh water to replace the water in the pipes and water heater. You want the fresh water tank filled when it sits disinfecting.
Thank you. Being a newbie is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because every experience and place is fresh and new, a curse because the learning curve is a bit steep and I've not much time to get a grip on it all before it has to be put to use in the field.

So again, thanks.

Tags
2005, bypass, heater, sunseeker, water, water heater, water heater bypass