We finally got her out of the shop (full house systems check) and ran her out on a shakedown trip. All systems worked out well. We were at a full hookup site so we haven't used the freshwater holding tank yet and wanted to sanitize first.
I've read a few blogs and watched a few YT videos, but I can't seem to find one that addresses an older rig like ours.
The sanitizing process does not appear to be very complex.
- Mix up some bleach /water solution (1/4 cup bleach for every 15 gals of water), in my case about 1/2 cup and a few TBSP
- Put in fill hose,
- Fill the tank
- Using the pump, run the water through the lines and various faucets, until you smell the bleach
- Let is sit for a few hours
- Again, using the pump, run the water through the lines and various faucets, until there is no more water left in the either the lines or the tank
- Dump the grey water
- Refill the tank with fresh water, rinse the lines and faucets until you no longer smell any bleach
That unto itself is pretty clear.
My doubts go to the water heater. I do know where there the bypass for my hot water heater is. I also do not know of the hot water holding tank is automatically filled while I fill the holding tank, or does the hot water tank only gets its initial fill from the holding tank via the tank pump.
If I cannot isolate the hot water tank, will a fill up of bleach/water solution hurt it?
If you have experience with these older models, any help would be greatly appreciated.