Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 10:05 AM   #1

2005 Wildwood - Suburban Water Heater Issue, Please help

Started having issues last year with the electric heating on the small 6 gallon water tank. Bought this trailer used in 2008, and we always use electric since it's included in my yearly lot rent. At times when we turn on the switch at the panel outside the water would get hot as normal. If we washed dishes or took a shower, the water would not return to hot. Sometimes if I would go turn the switch off and turn it back on again it would heat up the tank again.

Fast forward to 2016, same thing happening, so I decided to replace the heating element and anode rod this Spring. I pulled the element and anode rod out and discovered my negligence. I have never replace an anode rod, nor did the guy who sold me the trailer mention this to me, so the rod was completely gone. The heating element was caked with calcium, and the tank had a bunch of calcium lying at the bottom. I managed to get everything out by flushing water throught the tank. (Really embarassed I didn't know that the rod should be replaced every year) Oh well, live and learn right?

The gas portion seems to be working correctly once heated up and used it will heat again.

Repalced the element, buttoned everything up, 30 minutes later, hot water! BUT we are in the same boat, once used the water is not heating up again. I suspect there is something to do with the thermostat? I found a troubleshooting manual:

http://trekin.digital-digs.net/Share...ban%20V1.1.pdf

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, I am going to try the diagnostics with a voltmeter as outlined in the tourbleshooting section.

Ken
Tamelesstgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #2
Site Team

That's a good troubleshooting guide.

Your problem is most likely the hi-limit tripping before the t-stat and not resetting. It could be because of a bad hi-limit or a bad t-stat.

If you turn it on and let it cut out and then press the reset button you may be able to tell if the cutout is tripped.

Tags
heater, suburban, water, water heater, wildwood