Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2022, 12:37 PM   #1

2017 Sunseeker city water connection

Good afternoon. Hoping someone can help. I just did a 31 day 21 state trip with very little issues but I noticed that when I turned on the water pump the city water connection would leak. I followed the threads and changed the city water connection on the outside. Now that I did that, I have water pouring out from the backside when I turn the water pump on. As if the line is pressurizing but now that the check valve is new, it’s pouring out of the back end of the female connection. I wouldn’t think that line should pressurize but it is.
Of course this all happened while I’m camping again. For now just turning on the water pump when flushing.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sunseeker70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:57 AM   #2

Anyone? Bueller? lol
Old 09-21-2022, 07:38 AM   #3

the city water inlet will alway have back pressure on it when the pump is running. The do make inlets without a internal check valve, is it possible that is what you installed? The inlet MUST have an internal check valve to function properly.

In a pinch if the internal check valve has failed you can use a garden hose shut off (pict below) screwed into the inlet to act as a manual check valve so you can run off of your tank & pump.
Attached Images

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:52 AM   #4

Thanks for getting back to me Steve. The problem is that it’s leaking from the female part where you screw into the hose. It’s bad enough that I had to pull it out and then fill up the water tank and just let it leak out when having the water pump on. My reasoning for changing it in the first place was what you are referring to.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker70 View Post
Thanks for getting back to me Steve. The problem is that it’s leaking from the female part where you screw into the hose. It’s bad enough that I had to pull it out and then fill up the water tank and just let it leak out when having the water pump on. My reasoning for changing it in the first place was what you are referring to.
Then it is either broken or improperly installed. You need to get it apart again and find out if it is leaking due to a clamp nit being tight enough or due to the fitting itself being bad, or maybe the line to it being bad.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:14 AM   #6

Look inside the twist-on plumbing connection in the end of the hose that is screwed onto the fitting. Do you see a cone washer in there?

Also, did you add your own washer or use Teflon tape? If yes, you should not have.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:36 PM   #7

Ummm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Look inside the twist-on plumbing connection in the end of the hose that is screwed onto the fitting. Do you see a cone washer in there?

Also, did you add your own washer or use Teflon tape? If yes, you should not have.
Umm, I believe the OP has stated that the leak is on the back (interior) side of the new city water connector he has just installed.

Not clear what the connector type is. It could be crimp-on PEX or the kind you mentioned the other day with the winged portion and hollow cone washer.b
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post

I didn’t see a cone washer, that could be the problem. The new check valve didn’t come with one, so when I get back home tomorrow i will see if it’s stuck to the old one. I did try and use Teflon tape just to slow it down.
Thank you.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Umm, I believe the OP has stated that the leak is on the back (interior) side of the new city water connector he has just installed.

Not clear what the connector type is. It could be crimp-on PEX or the kind you mentioned the other day with the winged portion and hollow cone washer.b
I have never seen a city water inlet connection fitting with a barbed "backside" that PEX or nylon braided hose would be clamped onto. I've only ever seen them with an NPT fitting on the "backside". And they are normally connected to the RV via a swivel adapter which has female NPSM to a hose barb and does not provide the best connection to NPT. Ideally there should be a female NPT to male NPSM adapter in between, but the RV manufacturers don't do that.

Here is a good video. If you look closely at the fitting attached to the hose going into the RV, you can tell that it is NPSM.

Old 09-21-2022, 05:38 PM   #10

Pictures attached

Hey guys back from bike riding Cumberland Island 😪. I have attached pictures of everything. The picture with the red arrow is where it is leaking from. I do wonder if there should be some sort of o-ring, mechanically wise it would make sense. Now I have to find some sort of IPC that shows the o-ring. The Teflon tape was me since it was leaking pretty badly with the water pump on and the Teflon tape slowed it up some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA3C00E4-2EC7-4E68-9866-0AB0E01AA8FB.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	279482   Click image for larger version

Name:	2C9A97FD-EF82-49B7-937F-E90C19ADE850.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	279483   Click image for larger version

Name:	D2F3E4DC-8C6A-4BAC-830B-32310D2B6E10.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	279484  
Old 09-21-2022, 06:06 PM   #11
FLY4FUN

...guess is that cone washer is either missing from the hose fitting, or it's deformed. I don't have one handy to look at...but you may be able to fit a new washer in it. Worst case you'll have to remove and replace the fitting, hoping that the hose is long enough to cut, replace & "re-pex".
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:52 PM   #12
FLY4FUN

Name:	IMG_2658.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	279486

Name:	IMG_2657.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	279487

Here's pics of the fittings. I was wrong -- the "washer" is part of the fitting, so not removable. One shows the hose and one without -- the hose needs to be compressed with a pex tool or...sometimes...a "worm" clamp will work...sometimes...if pex not available. Note that the "ears" are off these two -- they're on there for "hand tightening" as getting too tight can cause a leak. I'd removed from these due to close clearance. Again, important not to tighten too tight.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #13

If it is leaking under the hose itself and not from the threaded connection, the clamp is not tight enough. They likely used a PEX clamp on the nylon braid hose and that would be the problem.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:30 PM   #14

Problem resolved

Thank you everyone for your help, greatly appreciated. Got home today and found a conical seal attached to the old city water connector. Installed it on the new one and eureka, no leaks. I am going to hunt for an IPC to try and find a part number. As a former aircraft mechanic, it’s like a cardinal rule never use an old o-ring or gasket. But this will work for now.
Again thank you.

R/;
Eddie
Old 09-22-2022, 08:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker70 View Post
Thank you everyone for your help, greatly appreciated. Got home today and found a conical seal attached to the old city water connector. Installed it on the new one and eureka, no leaks. I am going to hunt for an IPC to try and find a part number. As a former aircraft mechanic, it’s like a cardinal rule never use an old o-ring or gasket. But this will work for now.
Again thank you.

R/;
Eddie
It sounds like NASA is using old Space Shuttle parts on the Artemis rocket and we see how well that is working!
Old 09-23-2022, 05:42 AM   #16

Too funny. I live outside of Orlando, thought about driving the RV down and finding a place to Boondock for day but then again do I really want to deal with the traffic and then if they abort the countdown again…

Tags
city water, sunseeker, water, water connection