Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #1

30fw black tank

FROG newbie here. I know this has been discussed a lot but cannot find thread. The black tank on my 30FW clogs quickly despite using standard procedures. Is the toilet adapter extending too far into the tank? Please direct me to a helpful thread.
aerogoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogoat View Post
FROG newbie here. I know this has been discussed a lot but cannot find thread. The black tank on my 30FW clogs quickly despite using standard procedures. Is the toilet adapter extending too far into the tank? Please direct me to a helpful thread.

Usually the issue is not enough liquid in the tank. You should start off when adding chemicals with 3 full toilet bowls full of liquid and a full bowl with each flush that requires TP.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #3

Lots of water is your friend. We have at least half a bowl full for #2. Then flush with almost another half bowl. Don't use big wads of paper either. Just enough to do the job! Boon docking just 1 half bowl of water. More water and the tank empties better.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #4

Toilet Paper Piling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedicmark View Post
Usually the issue is not enough liquid in the tank. You should start off when adding chemicals with 3 full toilet bowls full of liquid and a full bowl with each flush that requires TP.

The thread you are looking for is "Toilet Paper Piling Up".

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #5

Thank you for the responses. I understand the necessary processes, I’m wondering if there is a fix for the worst black tank I’ve ever had. I’ll check toilet paper piling up. Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:24 AM   #6

The only fix I'm aware of is to use your black tank flush, if you have one, or to repeatedly FILL and drain the tank with clear water until you get rid of everything. This is probably best done on a site with full hook-ups as ideally you want to let the water sit for an hour or two between the fill and the drain so it has a chance to start breaking down the next layer. It may take a couple of days to get back to the bottom of the tank, depending on how bad it is.

If you do have a black tank flush and haven't used it before make sure you read the instructions first. You do NOT want to accidentally pressurize the black tank.

When I drain my black tank I always start the next cycle with five gallons of water and the recommended amount of TSP for my tank size in the black tank, even when I'm boondocking. I just set aside five gallons of grey water when I empty that tank. That way the bottom of the tank under the toilet is never dry, even when it is at the high end of the tank like it is in my current trailer (i.e. the toilet on the opposite side of the trailer from the dump valves).

Good luck.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #7

Thank you Keith. This is the best process I’ve seen so far. I now realize that the toilet is at the opposite side. Good point. Fortunately the tank is large so I can afford the 5 gallons of lost space. I’m getting some TSP today thanks again!
Old 02-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #8

You're welcome. I've never done it, but I've read some people have sped things up using something like an old broom handle to stir things up.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #9

I have one of those flushes you put down the opening and it has 4 water jets. I hook it to the sink and use both hot and cold water. Does good cleaning the level sensors.

Tags
black, black tank, tank